Better in the dark

Myhamish

It always sounds better in the dark!

some possible reasons:

1) time ; it probably sounds best LATE at night after most consumers are in bed, and impact on the local power grid is reduced, resulting in "less hash".

2) distractions ; easier to concentrate on hearing without visual distractions

3) air movement ; air is less excited by photons and other invisible particles/waves passing through it (energy transferred to the air in different wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum is reduced); this naturally occurs at night.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 10/27/2004 7:20:50 PM D-MAN wrote:

3) air movement ; air is less excited by photons and other invisible particles/waves passing through it (energy transferred to the air in different wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum is reduced); this naturally occurs at night.

DM
2.gif

----------------

You are joking about this one right?

I prefer listening to music through ear buds in the full, bright sun between 10 AM and 2 PM, while drunk out of my mind on rum punch and sitting in a lounge chair under an umbrella on Orient Beach in St. Maarten, FWI watching nude French women walk by. ...but, that's just me. 9.gif

The correct answer has been mentioned several times.

When one loses one sense, the others are heightened. Thus closing one's eyes will make the auditory sense a little stonger.

To test - close your eyes whil touching, the sense of touch will be more to the forefront.

That is why blind people have heightened sensivity in hearing and vice versa.

Plus you ARE distracted by any sights, which includes colors, movement - anything that will take away from portions of the brain that show relaxation via an E.E.G. when stimulated by flashing lights, colors, images.

dodger

----------------

On 10/27/2004 7:28:26 PM meuge wrote:

----------------

On 10/27/2004 7:20:50 PM D-MAN wrote:

DM
2.gif

----------------

You are joking about this one right?

----------------

I kid because I love...

Nah! there is quite a bit of truth in this one.

1) As air cools, it becomes more dense. And the denser the air, the better sound travels. Nightime is generally cooler, of course, in that there is no diabatic transfer of heat from the sun (IR wavelength light which is also made of photons). Any heat transfer sets up convection air currents, promoting air movement due to changes in density (pressure). This should have the most effect out of doors.

2) However, since most modern dweelings are required by building code to be effectively vented to the out of doors, the respective movement of air is "reflected" in the interiors of these dwellings where somewhat smaller currents result.

At night, considering a calm evening, etc., there is simply less air movement due to temperature differences. Expectedly, this results in "quiet" or at least "quieter" air, denser and less disturbed than during the day with the ocupants going in and out, washing machine, microwave, fans, heaters, furnaces, etc. generally stirring up things.

3) On the other hand, it could just be that the sun is on the other side of the planet, so there is less effect from the coronal bombardment of radiation and electromagnetic waves as would be during daylight bith of which effect transmission lines, power grids, and, of course, audio components.

Conclusion:

By my estimation, the best listening would occur after dark in calm weather of moderate temperature, preferably after most people have gone to bed.

Taking all of that into account, when you close your eyes, it sounds especially good.

DM2.gif

This was brought up a couple years ago but back then there were a few people that agreed that it was due to the lack of human/mechanical white-noise that occured from others in the surrounding neighborhood at night. i.e.- a highway that was a few miles away can still contribute to the white-noise of, say, a lawn mower down the street.

yes indeed, i made this exact post maybe 1 year ago, it is the cheapest tweak there is, but better than closing your eyes is to turn off the lights after you are set to go, depriving the other senses makes your auditory senses just come alive, its great! that is why sounds seem louder when you are walking alone at night as well, happy halloween