What CD/Album are you Beating to Death Right Now

thebes

You know the deal- buy a new cd or rediscover and old one and you play it over and over again until you get tired of it, or put it aside for the future.

So what's in regular rotation on your player at the moment. What tune are you now declaiming as the "best ever"?

Right now I'm beating the hell out of Marianne Faithful's "Blazing Away" a 1990 concert cd that showcases the deep dark bluesy raw power of her later years. Has tunes like "Guilty", "Sister Morphine" and a killer versin of Lennon's "Working Class Here"

Here's the lyrics:

As soon as you're born they make you feel small

By giving you no time instead of it all

Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all

A working class hero is something to be

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school

They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool

Till you're so ****ing crazy you can't follow their rules

When they've tortured and scared you for twenty-odd years

Then they expect you to pick a career

When you can't really function you're so full of fear

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV

And you think you're so clever and classless and free

But you're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see

There's room at the top they're telling you still

But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

If you want to be like the folks on the hill

If you want to be a hero well just follow me

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"nightwish - century child"

It's been on repeat since last Christmas and im not sick of it yet. Occasionally i'll throw in "nightwish - wishmaster" to vary things up a bit (which I got for my birthday last March). And I'm hoping to get Once, Over the Hills and Far Away, and Oceanborn for xmas, and perhaps even Angels Fall First if I'm lucky. (I've already got all the MP3's...gift from a friend in Sweden, but I want to have the high quality legal versions as well so that I can support the band).

And no I'm not obsessed!

As far as recording quality, I got to listen to century child on artto's system and to be honest, it sucked hardcore (which still bothers me to this day). On a less revealing system though the music is freaken amazing. That said, I doubt there will be many here that will enjoy it very much...so perhaps a listen in the car first would be in order 2.gif

Good topic, Mr. Thebes.

What I'm listening to is a little different. Kind of timely maybe with Armistice or Remembrance Day coming up. A couple of years ago, there was a Mel Gibson Vietnam movie called, "We Were Soldiers". During one battle scene, there is a music track with a male vocal voice singing "Lay Me Down on the Cold Cold Ground". Really fits the movie in a very chilling way.

Anyway, it's a pipe tune - a lament named Sergeant MacKenzie and is done by a group named 'Clann an Drumma'. On the audio CD, the recording starts with a lament on the pipes, goes into the vocal from the movie, a dedication to Sergeant MacKenzie of the Seaforth Highlanders during WW1 and ends with the pipes. Very haunting.

Here's the Clan an Drumma site with a couple of downloads. One is a video with a different edited version of Sgt. MacKenzie. Once again, powerful stuff. Kind of stops you in your tracks. Hits kind of hard. Take a look and a listen.

http://www.clannandrumma.com/download.htm

1. Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. See my avatar.

2. Frank Marino - eye of the storm

Dr Who, I agree 100% with you re Nightwish. I love Oceanborne even more than Century Child. Their cover of Walking In The Air is nothing short of haunting. I discovered Nightwish a few months ago and now all my friends accuse me of being "obsessed with that opera chick!"

I've been tweaking the set-up of my new speakers the last few days, so I have been listening to the same few CD's a lot - and enjoying the heck out of them: Norah Jones second album, "Feels Like Home", which by the way, I think is better than her first one, which was also excellent; The Brad Mehldau Trio's "Anything Goes"; and for a change of pace, "One Step Ahead", by that good ol' Missouri girl, Rhonda Vincent.

Wow, definitely have to agree with the Nightwish stuff. A friend of mine recently aquainted me with them. I too eventually would like to get the "legal" versions :) MP3's are ok for temporary use but I prefer to have good original recordings. Is their stuff even available in US stores or are they only available through the internet?

Here is an eclectic mix of stuff I keep coming back to in no particular order:

Al Di Meola/John McLaughlin/Paco de Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions, Lay it down

King & Moore - Impending Bloom

Patricia Barber - Verse

Delbert McClinton - Never been Rocked Enough

Bobby Scott - Slowly

John Prine - Great Days Anthology

Cassandra Wilson - Blue Light Til Dawn

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

Karrin Allyson - In Blue

Toni Childs - Union

Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man

Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

Brian Bromberg - Wood

Joel Harrison - Free Country

Johnny Adams - Room With a View of the Blues (or anything else by Johnny Adams)

Rene Marie - vertigo

Mary Chapin-Carpenter: "Between Here and Gone"

...I'm not a fan of country music - Johnny Cash is about the only artist from that genre that I have had in my collection. There is something about M.C.C., and this album especially. It's terrific for listening on a quiet day when you're by yourself... the music and her vocals wash over you like a warm bed in winter. The recording is very well done, as well.

The only other recent album I have listened to this much is Sarah McLachlan's "Afterglow".

I've listened to Switchfoot's newest one also, but not as frequently. The louder rock tunes are just not what I'm looking for after working a 10 - 12 hour day. I think some of these female artists are filling the same role for me that New Age music did for a lot of yuppies in the 80's. (Not that I'm a yuppie; my work is a little more physically strenuous than office boy\girl or a financial services employee).