CAT

Jim Cornell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try some of the Pet Away products that would keep the cat from wanting to claw at the grills or get near the speakers for that matter. They also make plastic caps that can be slipped over the cat's claws so they can't damage anything.

Spritz the cat with water everytime you manage to catch it in the act, maybe it will stop.

Having it declawed would be another option, however pricey and probably painful for the cat.

Try covering them with a blanket or large towel to deter the cat.

Last resort - target practice! 11.gif

----------------

On 11/11/2004 1:01:39 PM picky wrote:

Place a nice, big bowl of Prestone Anti-Freeze next to the speakers.
11.gif

----------------

That just seeeeeems... oh a bit... too civil? I would get a vicious cat eating dog and chain him to your cornwalls. When the cat is gone, th problem is gone and you can get rid of the dog if you don't want him.

IMHO and IME -- three cats and two pairs of Klipsch -- you need to use both the carrot and the sitck. Get the cat a scratching post and place it somewhere away from the speakers. My wife and I like the rope-wrapped ones. Reward the kitty for using the right one -- sprinkle it with catnip, put those $2 toy mice on it so he's drawn to it. Get him to bond with his scratching post. The stick side is the spray bottle. Those things work. Spray kitty every time he gets near the things you don't want him to scratch. It won't take long before he associates the scratching post with warm fuzzy feelings and the speakers with a soaking.

----------------

On 11/11/2004 3:40:13 PM Olorin wrote:

IMHO and IME -- three cats and two pairs of Klipsch -- you need to use both the carrot and the sitck. Get the cat a scratching post and place it somewhere away from the speakers. My wife and I like the rope-wrapped ones. Reward the kitty for using the right one -- sprinkle it with catnip, put those $2 toy mice on it so he's drawn to it. Get him to bond with his scratching post. The stick side is the spray bottle. Those things work. Spray kitty every time he gets near the things you don't want him to scratch. It won't take long before he associates the scratching post with warm fuzzy feelings and the speakers with a soaking.

----------------

And when that fails, you get the vicious cat eating dog. 11.gif9.gif

----------------

On 11/11/2004 11:59:48 AM Jim Cornell wrote:

How does one get CAT to stop using cornwalls for a scratching post?

>>You could get it euthanized but that would set you back about $40.

Alternative is to take it out back and clunk it over the head with a shovel. If you use a spade you can also dig the hole to toss it into ( sort of killing two "birds" with one stone!).

This cat actually pulls the covers off, now my wife and kids love this cat, on the other hand im thinking that I have 2 nice 22Lr Ive never fired.

>>An air rifle pressed against the back of it's head would work too and, discharging an air rifle in most towns isn't illegal.

Any ideas i thought of placing moth balls in the bottoms.

>>Good, now your house will smell like cat piss AND moth balls!

----------------

I have a cat but he ain't never caused no trouble.

I learned early to train him right with a squirt gun.

They hate getting any water on them, even a drop would ruin his day completely. The only problem is that you have to be there to catch them in the act.

Good lick. Er, I mean luck!

DM2.gif

----------------

On 11/11/2004 4:25:02 PM John Warren wrote:

----------------

On 11/11/2004 11:59:48 AM Jim Cornell wrote:

How does one get CAT to stop using cornwalls for a scratching post?

>>You could get it euthanized but that would set you back about $40.

Alternative is to take it out back and clunk it over the head with a shovel. If you use a spade you can also dig the hole to toss it into ( sort of killing two "birds" with one stone!).

This cat actually pulls the covers off, now my wife and kids love this cat, on the other hand im thinking that I have 2 nice 22Lr Ive never fired.

>>An air rifle pressed against the back of it's head would work too and, discharging an air rifle in most towns isn't illegal.

Any ideas i thought of placing moth balls in the bottoms.

>>Good, now your house will smell like cat piss AND moth balls!

----------------

----------------

Using the 22 would only gain you at a minimum, a summons for discharge of a firearm within City/Town/Village limts,

Possible holes in the Speakers,

The Humane Society also issuing a Summons and removal of other pets

Child Welfare (if you have children) petitioning to remove your children for Reckless Endangerment,

The sprays usually contain coyote urine.

Two possibles:

The reward and scratch post would be much less costly. OR

Baby Gates in front of them.

dodger

----------------

On 11/11/2004 5:01:23 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Man, you guys are some sick fvcks.

----------------

I'm not... Notice I said the dog would be chained, thus giving the cat more than a fair chance of survival. Actually the dog would just be deterant unless he was brave enough to wonder too close to the dog, then the cat becomes puppy chow.

if your cat is an INDOOR cat only, get it declawed. it is worth it if you value your furniture/grills.

spaying/neutering/declawing hurts because it is surgery, but it is one of those things you can do to prevent unwanted behavior. just don't do it if the cat goes outdoors (no defense, ability to climb trees/escape etc.)

we tried the pet away sprays to keep cats off the furniture...no effect and you had to re-apply it every week!

you could buy a scratching post...but i question if they will abandon your corns as a alternate claw shapener.

i guess that is the price we pay to domesticate animals...oh well.

The Forte's that I am using in my HT have claw marks atop and on the passive radiator of one of the pair. These "signatures" were courtesy of my wife's cat (as are the speakers), and the cat - er, apparently "learned its lesson" when my wife caught it damaging the speaker some years back. For those keeping score, the cat never even went near the speakers again, and won't now, having passed away about 6 years ago from old age.

Popbumper