Christmas Crossover Giveaway

Deang

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/25/2004 6:05:28 AM LonestarBlues wrote:

Extremely generous of you Dean. Numero 11 is my guess. We had a White Christmas in South Texas-3-5

inches of snow. Very rare for it to snow here. Feliz Navidad-Merry Christmas.
----------------

Well we have a winner Merry Christmas !!!

The Number sent to me was 11

Craig

----------------

On 12/25/2004 10:12:55 AM DeanG wrote:

That was kind of fun. Might have to turn this into a yearly tradition. Looks like I'll be building some Type B's maybe?

Merry Christmas/Happy Chanuka everyone!

-------------- --

Yeah, that was fun! Let's do it again!

I'll go first ...

Happy Holidays, everybody. May the peace of the season be with you all.

I'm willing to do it again, but it has to be with a twist. I just gave up about $200 in parts and shipping, but I'm willing to give up another $125. Anyone up for doing these below for $225 shipped? That price is my cost -- so I would eat the labor and shipping. Maybe anyone interested could post, we do a total count of those in pool, and then shrink the range of numbers down. Let me know.

Something a little different from me in response to Erik's L-pad solution. Early in the first L-pad thread I pointed out that if someone wanted to lower the squawker output a bit, the easiest solution was to just drop to the #3 tap and halve the capacitance of the primary cap. This solution was provided to me by John Warren. So, this a Type A that has both a 13uF and 6.8uF mounted on the board, with connectors for the purpose of making the switch. With the switch, you get a 3db reduction in squawker output, keep the crossover point the same, and get to keep the autotransformer in circuit the way PK intended.

I suppose it's basically a prototype. I sometimes get ahead of myself, and in the end I felt I should have layed things out just a bit different. Not much, but enough to make sure there was sufficient lead length on the 13uF cap so it could be connected/disconnected without undue strain on where the lead connects to the cap. I ended up adding standoffs, split the sheathing on leads, and soldered the copper underneath to the standoff. It worked good, so now the bit of tugging action is absorbed at the standoff instead of the cap. I'll post a pic of this in a little bit.

The pic shows a 9uF next to the 13uF. The 9uF cap is actually a mislabeled 6.8uF. The other board still needs the 6.8uF mounted, which is on the way from Audience. The tweeters are being fed by Hovlands, and the inductors, which I tightly wrap in cold shrink tape -- are steel laminate "Sledgehammers" from Madisound. These boards also incorporate my bizarre grounding scheme, and all connections are soldered/gasless. No hot melt on these -- I'm going to epoxy with my Heritage boards now.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=34432&

If those are the equivalent of AA's I will take you up on your offer I would use them in my '77 Khorn's. In the spirit of giving back I have a K-55M and an original AA crossover that came out of my center La Scala that now sports one of your Jensen PIO AA's in it that you are welcome to if you have use for them.

Thanks Dean,

That dual cap approach would be an elegant solution to my possible problem using xover B with my vertical Corn project which will feature the +3dB hotter K57K mid driver. Having the ability to use it hot OR reduce output the 3dB to match my LR K55K drivers would be very welcome. Could you do this as a simple mod or would it be part of an entire xover rework?

Merry Christmas, I enjoyed the contest.

Michael

Charles, this is a Type 'A', so 3db more on the tweeter output compared to the 'AA'. With your current setup, and the fact that you drive solid state in a higher than normal SPL environment -- I wouldn't use these.

Michael, this setup is for the Klipschorn/LaScala/Belle Klipsch -- but what you are looking at is exactly what I was talking to you about on the phone that day. I can do the same thing for your Cornwalls.