How was Klipshorn conceived?

Coytee

I think I've read here that PWK felt the midrange was the most important component of the speaker?? (not sure if I recall that right)

Anyways, if the above is anywhere near accurate, is it fair to say he started with a midrange and designed the tweeter/woofer around it?

Did he perhaps, design the bass bin to his acceptable (or ideal) criteria, and then design the squawker/tweeter around the bass bin??

I'm just curious if anyone has any idea of how he might have gone from a blank piece of paper to the roughed out concept of the K-horn prior to getting all the bugs worked out.

Seems to me you have to start SOMEWHERE with a concrete starting

point... sort of like that commercial where a lady hands an architect a faucet and says "...design a house around this"

What (if anything) was his faucet?

Look at Paul's first paper and his patent. These will give you all the influences. Horn folding was devised sometime in the Roman era to make brass instruments managable in size, and when sound recording came along in the 1870s, gramophone designers took their cue from that concept. One influence that may not be readily apparent is Voight, who also had a corner horn in the 30s. The lowdown on that is in Bruce Edgar's interview with Voight in Speaker Builder in the early 80s.

----------------

On 1/1/2005 8:45:29 PM Coytee wrote:

Seems to me you have to start SOMEWHERE with a concrete starting

point... sort of like that commercial where a lady hands an architect a faucet and says "...design a house around this"

----------------

Funny analogy, Ive heard of people designing their house around Klipschorns! Hmm...maybe I'll haul the Khorns over to Home Depot, and see what kinda plumbing fixtures they have that might go with them...

----------------

On 1/2/2005 11:58:04 AM Anarchist wrote:

Don't know about that toilet. There are certain sounds I don't think you want reinforced or reverberated through your wall structure.

----------------

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corner Loaded Toilet.