Any military members on the forum?

tommyboy

Retired Air Force. First listened to Klipsch when I was TDY in England in the late 70s

Liked the sound but did not have the room or $$$ back then. I think it was a pair of LaScalas I was listening too. Everyone I knew then thought Bose 901s were the hot item. I thought the LaScalas were much better than the Bose. I almost purchased a pair of Advent speakers but I got married and ended up with some cheap brand. Still have the Pioneer SX-950 receiver, Sansui turntable and Pioneer cassette deck I used back then. Guess I am a pack rat to a degree.

Mike

I'm an Army vet...was assigned to a small training detachment at Lowry Air Force Base in Denver in '81. Then reassigned to Ft. Hood, TX with the mighty 1st Cavalry Division (MMC, DISCOM). Then from '83 to '86 I finished my tour of duty assigned to the oldest continuously active signal unit in the entire US Army (since 1916); 51st Signal Bn, 93rd Signal Bde, III Corps in Ludwigsburg, Germany (loved Europe)...almost bought a pair of Cornwall IIs but the PX at Robbinson Barracks, Stuttgart was sold out; settled on a nice pair of walnut JBL L112 Century II monitors instead (which blew away the Bose 901s in the showroom).

----------------

On 1/13/2005 1:15:17 AM skonopa wrote:

Spent 6 years in the Army National Guard myself. Was in the field artillery, specifically, the FDC. Was fun, but got tired of it and let my enlistment run out.

----------------

Fire Mission - Fire Mission: Base Piece lock and load!

That was fun stuff skonopa. What kind of guns? I was with an 8 inch unit and worked in FDC as well. I also did a good bit of forward observing. Thank God I never had to do that out in the jungle!2.gif

----------------

On 1/13/2005 12:01:36 PM Flason wrote:

I'm done now but did 10 years Navy, though I never saw a ship. Good thing too because I get seasick.
14.gif

----------------

Hehe... you get used to it. I recall seeing people litteraly being dragged up to sickbay. I got to I loved it actually. After about the first day, you start to enjoy it. It puts you to sleep real quick.

USAF five years+ 78-83. EOD 462. Lackland AFB, TX, Eglin AFB, FL, Torrejon AB, Spain, Aviano AB, Italy, & Incirlik CDI, Turkey.

First Klipsch speakers I ever heard were Cornwalls on SS. I was like "WOW, I am getting some of those!". I have been hooked on Klipsch ever since. The audio photo clubs overseas use to carry all the heritage line back then. They also carried Bose, 301, 501, 601, and 901's. Even then I knew the better of the two brands.

----------------

On 1/13/2005 3:01:31 AM boomac wrote:

Fire Mission - Fire Mission: Base Piece lock and load!

That was fun stuff skonopa. What kind of guns? I was with an 8 inch unit and worked in FDC as well. I also did a good bit of forward observing. Thank God I never had to do that out in the jungle!
2.gif

----------------

Battery Adjust! One Round! Flying saucer with little green men in the open! 11.gif

As to what kind of guns? When I started, the unit I was in had M102A towed-artillery. These where little 105MM guns. About 3 years in, we transitioned to M109 Self-Propelled (155 MM) (28th Inf transitioned from light to mechanized). That was friggan cool! Unfortunatly not to long after that, I had to move to VA and and to transfer to the VA National Guard. The unit in Richmond that I was a light infantry unit, so it was back to the 105MM towed artillery again.

That was some fun stuff, though. I'd do it again if I had to.