What's your favorite 80's rock album/cd/tape?

m00n

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

C'mon, Gary! What about NRBQ??1.gif

BTW, there's a nice NRBQ DVD just out! It's called "One In A Million", and it's a live 1989 performance. It's a fun look at the band back when Big Al was still with 'em. I got mine on eBay.

----------------

On 2/2/2005 9:43:50 PM m00n wrote:

You guys are breaking the rules. The question was FAVORITE meaning 1, not many... If you had to Pick 1 and only 1 CD to be your fav.

grumble grumble friggen, grumble grumble rule breakers.
9.gif

----------------

If I'm only picking one, I'll take U2 and "Joshua Tree"

----------------

On 2/2/2005 10:20:11 PM fini wrote:

C'mon, Gary! What about NRBQ??
1.gif

BTW, there's a nice NRBQ DVD just out! It's called "One In A Million", and it's a live 1989 performance. It's a fun look at the band back when Big Al was still with 'em. I got mine on eBay.

----------------

Oh yeah!! My bad.

Revision (in addition to In The Dark):

NRBQ, Tiddly Winks

Ah yeah... Shout at the Devil. Can you tell me what you were doing the first time you heard the entire tape? I can....

Coming home from a High School marching band trip. We stopped at mall for some strange reason. Picked up the tape. Me and a fellow rocker sat in the back with my little boombox and rocked out all the way home. Yeah BABY! 9.gif

Guest Anonymous

i was waiting hard core for Thriller, I knew some one would say that, but i do have to say that thriller on sacd is the best sacd I have ever heard no doubt. I'm not a huge fan of the '80's music although i have a lot of 80's vinyls and no player lol

----------------

On 2/2/2005 9:43:50 PM m00n wrote:

You guys are breaking the rules. The question was FAVORITE meaning 1, not many... If you had to Pick 1 and only 1 CD to be your fav.

grumble grumble friggen, grumble grumble rule breakers.
9.gif

----------------

9.gif , indeed!

I always have trouble when someone asks me something like my "favorite song of all time" or "favorite food"... there are so many, and one's moods are constantly changing, it is almost impossible for me to nail down just one, even within a limited period of release.

Plus, there are different criteria to consider when deciding on a "favorite": artistic value, the way it made you feel at the time, the way it has stood the test of time. Most albums that I really liked at one time or another I do not listen to very often, simply because my early enthusiasm has worn off because of repeated listenings.

I can't listen to half the songs on Born in the USA anymore, because of the air-overplay they received at the time.

If I were to choose one which has stood the test of time, and still gives me chills when I hear it, it would have to be Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen... this album was released just before Born in the USA, and in fact, many of the songs from ...USA were recorded as demos at the same time. I was one of only about 100,000 people who bought Nebraska upon its initial release (many more sales came later, after he became Huge).

All the songs were essentially "demos" that Springsteen recorded, with the intention of playing them for the E Street Band, to be played in their tradional rocking style... but he and his producer liked the sounds of the originals so much ("stark" was one word used at the time, and it fitted the mood of the pieces), they gussied them up and released the original demos. It was a harbinger of the MTV "Unplugged" era, and he actually adopted that "folk" style on some of the Born in the USA tracks in concert (in later years).

Speaking of Billy Idol, I highly recommend the Billy Idol DVD "VH1 Storytellers". Performed in a small club. Soundtrack is great (even has DTS). I rarely see it mentioned or in a stored. I ordered from DeepDiscountDvd. Steve Stevens is awesome as usual.

Off the top of my head, I would also have to cast my vote for "The Joshua Tree". In fact, I think I will go listen to it. It's been a little while.