Klipsch is Resting on Laurels of a Glorious Past

KT66

.. it would seem that non Heritage products are really no better than inexpensive mid-fi these days. Klipsch means only five things IMHO:

Khorn

La Scala **

Belle

Cornwall

Heresy **

all else is BS as PWK would put it and I would agree having owned cheaply built KLF30s. xx

** which I own1.gif

xx post edit note :

a good thing I suppose as I got LS & Heresys instead - so you see I did not fade Klipsch into oblivion.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KT---There are some very interesting speakers in the Klipsch pro line, were I in the market for new Klipsch speakers, or any new turnkey horns for that matter, I'd be looking at thier pro stuff.

I've often found it intersting that the Klipsch fans, unlike Altec and JBL ones, show little interest in utility type cabinets and a building block approach. Guys here will talk all day long about old Cornwalls yet nobody talks about the KPT-325, Klipsch's small theater 2-way with a vented 15 and a tractrix horn. This speaker would probably be excellent in a home hi-fi setting as would several other of thier pro speakers.

As Companies build hundreds of units, there are bound to be some failures.

But that said, I would ask that you go and compare RF-7s to Definitive Technology, Paradigms, McIntosh, PSB and others in the same price line plus. The Reference Series does a nice job.

The Heritage products do have their supporters, I am for one, but with a strong following in other lines.

There are strong points to each, a blanket statement of resting on its laurels pales to the Reference Line supporters.

What are you using now?

dodger

----------------

On 2/8/2005 9:07:58 AM KT66 wrote:

.. it would seem that non Heritage products are really no better than cheap mid-fi these days. Klipsch means only five things:

Khorn

La Scala **

Belle

Cornwall

Heresy **

all else is BS as PWK would put it and I would agree having owned CHEAP and badly built KLF30s.

** which I own
1.gif
----------------

WTF? I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

----------------

On 2/8/2005 10:01:47 AM TBrennan wrote:

KT---There are some very interesting speakers in the Klipsch pro line, were I in the market for new Klipsch speakers, or any new turnkey horns for that matter, I'd be looking at thier pro stuff.

I've often found it intersting that the Klipsch fans, unlike Altec and JBL ones, show little interest in utility type cabinets and a building block approach. Guys here will talk all day long about old Cornwalls yet nobody talks about the KPT-325, Klipsch's small theater 2-way with a vented 15 and a tractrix horn. This speaker would probably be excellent in a home hi-fi setting as would several other of thier pro speakers.

----------------

I agree Tom. Had I not already aquired Heresys, I would definitely have looked into using KPT-250's as surrounds in my HT. How well do you think a KPT-325 would match up with Cornwalls? Hmmmmm....might be a solution to my center channel issue (currently using a Heresy).

Tom

----------------

On 2/8/2005 12:20:18 PM KT66 wrote:

BTW, I really did have a rough ride with the 30s ( 4 pairs ! were returned 'cos the came unstuck ..)

so I might be entitled to a little griping. Clearly QA ain't what it used to be.

----------------

Maybe it was the saltwater on the way across the pond.

Marvel

Not quite ..

internal surface finish of wood supplied to Hope factory was incompatible with thermo-glue used - this was a big problem for Klpsh circa 2000. Both front & rear panels worked lose after a few weeks - the ensuing rattle was not a happy event.

But I was taken care by Klipsch after the problem was acknowledged.

Guest Anonymous

your rational has no mind for the fact that this company needs to stay in buisness which is done through synergy, refrence, and pro-media... with out those or the legends or kgs or whatever klipsch would have be done

It is a simple fact of marketing. The vast majority of speaker buyers are in the lower portion of the market.

Trying to sell Klipschorns in BEST BUY or THE GOOD GUYS or WAL-MART is not going to be very productive as far as Klipschorn sales (although it COULD be a very useful tool to push the "lesser kin" out the door) although, like groceries, there is "limited shelf space" in such an environment.

DM2.gif

Well the company did survive and do OK under ole PWK just selling "good" speakers; speakers that PWK designed or was interested in.

But now with new ownership I doubt that kind of involvement and love of audio is there. Fred's first love is more likely garage doors than speakers. So he makes what sells, that's understandable. Like Amar Bose, I understand and respect him too. They're both very astute businessmen.

So it's different company now. And a company that I find interesting only for it's Heritage and pro lines. But then I'm a horn enthusiast with a focused interest.

"...it would seem that non-Heritage products are really no better than inexpensive mid-fi these days."

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Bullsh!t.

"But now with new ownership I doubt that kind of involvement and love of audio is there. Fred's first love is more likely garage doors than speakers."

Bullsh!t.

"Guys here will talk all day long about old Cornwalls yet nobody talks about the KPT-325, Klipsch's small theater 2-way with a vented 15 and a tractrix horn. This speaker would probably be excellent in a home hi-fi setting as would several other of their pro speakers."

Most of the Klipsch pro designs are built for behind the screen applications. Others, like the KPT-325, are typically hung high over-head. I suspect most of these designs sound extremely hot in the normal home setting.

I set and listen to my 7s all the time thinkin'whats the rf7 bashers deal?I know plenty about how real live music sounds,I'm listening to "The Needle and the Damage Done" and it sounds like Neil is right in my room,the guitar sounds better than my own in my room,what else could ya want?

Such a general opinion is really worthless with out some backround information/real personal experiance attached for viewers to understand/relate to your thread/opinion. You attach an experiance on one product so you group it with all others except the Heritage products as being "mid fi". Hard to understand how you came to that conclusion or what that means, but I have better things to do. Never the less its your opinion and your entitled to it. Enjoy your music.

You all ought to read carefully the Dope From Hope papers that Gil so kindly provided access to on the forum. Except for the Heritage line, the speakers that are currently being built at Klipsch are the opposite of everything Paul Klipsch stood for and believed in.

I can picture his spirit roamimg the offices in Indianapolis putting little yellow buttons on all the desks. The idea of a 5-1/4" woofer would have made him laugh. Klipsch and Associates made great speakers; Klipsch Audio Technologies makes great money.