Klipsch is Resting on Laurels of a Glorious Past

KT66

I'm a bit hesitant to say this, but KT66's post kinda compells me to comment.

During my Heresy refinishing project, I've had the opportunity to gut a 1979 pair of Heresy I's, a pair of 1984 Hersey I's and a single Heresy II (not sure the year). Although the drivers and crossovers in the two Heresy I's are different, the build quality is identical. The cabinets internally are finished cleanly, no sloppy gluing or stapling, and the motorboard cutouts are nicely done. Now the Heresy II is another story. There was just enough wiring slack to get the drivers out just far enough to disconnect the wires from the drivers. And getting the squawker out was the equivalent of those mind quiz game things with the different shape metal rings that are connected together and will come apart only when twisted just right. There was this slab of foam just placed inside in no particular position (probably doesn't matter) and pulling the plastic speaker connector out revealed a crossover attached to it that looked to be sourced from Radio Shack. Internally, there was ugly glue drips everywhere, a couple of wood strips that had so many staples that it looked like the staple gun operator had an epilectic fit, and the motorboard cutouts were crude.

Ironically, the Heresy II sounded very nice! So, I guess I should just shut the hell up.2.gif However, I was very disappointed in the overall Heresy II build quality. I can't help but wonder if all the Heritage products are built in this same manner.

Tom

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom, After my son gave me a pair of HIIs, I opened them up to see if I could get an idea of the date of manufacture. There were no labels on the outside of the cabinets and I was hoping for something on the inside that would give me some clue.

They were (are) very cleanly built. The wires aren't very long, but do allow you to get the parts out. Yes, the crossover in a pc board mounted on the mounting cup for the binding posts. Still, the routings for the drivers is clean.

I did find stickers from inspections with dates, so I feel I am close on the year. They cranked out so many that it has to be close. I can't imagine the cabinets sat around for very long. And they sound great as well.

Marvel

T Adam

I agree the H IIs do sound very good indeed - I did replace all the cheap plastic xo caps tho.

I found same issues you reported above plus missing driver gaskets and speaker fixing scews ( too short) that strip thread and do not tighten properly for a reliable seal. But outside finish quite good.

LScala cabinet build is not bad, but all wiring and internal screw connections are a laugh for what should be quality flagship speakers. Both woofer feed thru screw connections ( from top into rear cavity) were loose, no shakeproof washers were used jut tightened up against wood. Some cheapish xo components were just glue gunned to board & wiring was a mess- talk about cost-effective manufacture ?

Also ferrite/dust iron coil in xo midrange !!@%! - not the chunky iron used when PWK was in charge! All this just punctuates the BS of the KLF30s I had before switching to Heritage to find they were cutting corners here too.

The fact that some of these speakers sound ok ( even very good) despite mediocre build quality does not really redeem matters as pride of ownership embraces all aspects of the item.

British and Japanese speaks are exemplary when it comes to build quality down to the minutest detail.

At the risk of beating a dead dog.....

My HII crossover components are not on a PC board. They are discrete components wired/soldered/hot-glued directly to the backside of the speaker connector "cup". And it's a mess. No doubt it works, but it looks like a kluge compared to the Type E crossover in my HI.

And like KT66, I discovered several screws that had stripped out the wood. The sign of a screw gun's torque being set too high.

I'll put it this way....without prompting, even the wife (who knows relatively nothing when it comes to this sorta thing) commented on how crappy it looked compared to the HI's.

Tom

Well....even though at one point my hearing test suggested that I should be able to hear a dog whistle (that's what the Doc said), I believe I have far from "golden ears". Having said that disclaimer......1.gif

The two series of Heresys are very similar. However, to me, I prefer the HI only because I feel they have a better mid-range sound. I don't know how to describe what I hear other than to say it's a bit more natural and detailed. Now, is it the difference in squawker drivers or crossover? I can't say.

Bass output seems to be identical with maybe a possible edge to the HII. Top end is a dead heat to my ears.

For the record, I'm not saying Heresy II's are bad speakers. Actually, they are very nice sounding and I would not hesitate buying a pair new if I didn't own any and were in the market for them. However, if one's perception is that, for the price paid and it being a Klipsch Heritage product, that you're getting some meticulously hand assembled product, that perception is not totally correct IMHO.

Tom

----------------

On 2/9/2005 10:11:57 AM ooteedee wrote:

Is the business still in the family??

----------------

I believe Fred Klipsch, Chairman and Owner, is a second cousin of PWK. He used to have a successful chain of hardware stores in Indiana. He supposedly carried around a Klipsch advertisement (with a LaScala on it) from Rolling Stone magazine in his wallet for several years before he decided to contact PWK, and then found out they were cousins.

http://www.klipsch.com/newscenter/bio.aspx?id=770

Also see, Paul Wilbur Klipsch, The Life, The Legend" (Barrett/Klemetovich)

"...but trying to compare RF-7s to McIntosh is a little much"

No, it isn't. Hearing is subjective, and audio quality of a systemm is dependent on many things in addition to speaker quality (e.g. source input and room architecture). If someone prefers the sound of RF-7s, it isn't presumptuous or anything else. I'm not saying that I agree (I was very impressed with the McIntosh demo I heard recently, although I haven't been able to do an A/B comparison), but it isn't "a bit much" to have an opinion that is different, even if one of the speakers is far more expensive.

Scott

• 3 years later...

So it's different company now. And a company that I find interesting only for it's Heritage and pro lines. But then I'm a horn enthusiast with a focused interest.

If Chevy has to sell a whole lot of Malibus to make it practical for them to build Corvettes, that's the way the market keeps a company in business. If you're a Heritage fan and Heritage speakers continue to be made, what is there to complain about?

I would love to own some Cornwalls or K-horns (or just about any Heritage product), but it's out of my price range right now. I couldn't even buy 1 Cornwall for what I paid for both of my RF-7s and the QSC amp to drive them. They may not be in the same league as Heritage, but dollar for dollar, they'll beat anything else I've heard in the price range, and it's all I can afford now.

Given a choice between RF-7s or nothing, I'll stick with my RF-7s. Beats the crap out of a Bose "Lifestyle" system at any price.

So it's different company now. And a company that I find interesting only for it's Heritage and pro lines. But then I'm a horn enthusiast with a focused interest.

If Chevy has to sell a whole lot of Malibus to make it practical for them to build Corvettes, that's the way the market keeps a company in business. If you're a Heritage fan and Heritage speakers continue to be made, what is there to complain about?

Talk about bringing something back from the dead, this is 3 years old.....

James

• 2 weeks later...