Pics on my home built Khorns.

chris haberland

Well, thanks for all your positive comments.I did not expect such a big reponse.It has come to my attention through Emails and forum dicussions, that there are several people who have some building skills would like to build their own but feel overwhelmed at this speakers complexities, i will break it down to a much easier method.Dont get me wrong this is not a beginners project. For those of you that would like to build a pair, here are some tips.First of all a table saw is not required.There are many compound angles on these panels, but not if you do it in stages.Dont worry about the angles, lets cut the panels out first, then tackle the angles later.Here go's,(Step 1),draw out one panel on your sheet of plywood.(Step 2)Now with a skill saw cut proud of the lines you just drew, 1/8 to a 1/4 inch.,you should have a roughly cut out panel, that should be easy enough.(Step 3)Take your router, measure the distance from your Formica bit(flush cutter with a bearing on the bottom)to the edge of the Router base.Take that measurment and draw it on the inside of the panel lines you just drew.Clamp a straight edge on that line, you now have a guide for the Router to cut a straight line on one side of your panel.Do this to all four sides.What you have now is a perfect single panel, your half way there!.This panel now becomes a template for the others in that group.Remember two speakers multiple pieces.Go back to (step 1 and 2) and cut as many as you need.Take your template, place it on top of one of the panels you just cut out.You can clamp it onto the other piece or nail it with some small finishing nails, make sure you put a pencil mark where you nailed so you can fill it with epoxy later.Now the easy part,flip the panel over so the rough cut panel is facing up.With your Router zip around the panel letting the bit do the cutting and the bearing on the bit do the guiding and you will end up with a duplicate panel.Easy enough.This method can cut out 99% of the panels on your plans.What you will end up with is a flat pac with straight edge panels.Some of you wood workers out there may think this is a time consuming method and it is, but it is very accurate needing basic power tools.You only have to build one pair for a life time of listening.I will discuss cutting the angles needed on the panels later because i will have to take some pictures to help with this step as it will be to hard to explain.Hope this has been some help.Regards Chris.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"measure the distance from your Formica bit(flush cutter with a bearing on the bottom)to the edge of the Router base"

I like that method of making sure you get very nice square cuts but *man* you must still be coughing up sawdust! Even more so if these were made with MDF!

And as everyone else said, very nice work!

Shawn

First of all you can not allways locate these near by, it cost me to build these as much as it would to ship one.Second and most important is the pride of getting of your buff and creating.The time it takes to build one is of no importance, everyone has different comittments, so build at your leasure.It took me a week to cut out and frame these babies up.Chris.

That is one of the nicest looking corner horn set-ups I have seen...A Skill saw...dude that is incredible. Average woodworking skills.Huh?!? Wait till you get them cornered and your jaw will just drop at how beautiful, lifelike and effortless the bass sounds. They are truly a work of art. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Chris... Go back and read Q mans post. Drivers are matched with the lens size of each horn. For optimal results, they need to be a perfect match. "You can fit a 1" driver to any 1" horn.. BUT, whether it sounds good is based on physics. It makes a HUGE difference when it is right.

My 2 cents, but very much a "helpful suggestion"! Right on, Q man. He really knows what he is talking about here.

Roger

Chris-

Very ,Very Nice! - I started the "The Best Rock Speaker Thread" & I`m wondering if you could tell me what it would cost someone to buy the Driver parts for these speakers ?? also could you list them for me & what is the overall diamension?

I have a master woodworker buddy who could build the cabinets in his sleep for me. Did you draw up any plans?

thanks

1.gif

Chris,

Your work is fabulous looking. Creative and distinctive layout, too. It is quite rare to see the K77 in it's "manufacturers recommended" orientation. As far as I know, Mr. Paul used the tweeter in this way, only in the vertical Cornwalls. One downside of that in the Cornwall, though, was that it would require a left AND right template for the motorboard.

VERY COOL WORK!3.gif

Yes indeed, very beautiful. Fabulous workmanship (I envy anyone who can create such beauty from wood).

Now if only that squawker was made of the same finished wood...priceless!4.gif

Regardless, you should be very proud of your horn speakers and your audio rack...great job.

Beautiful work! You have heard bass, yet. Get those things in corners, false or real and you'll be bowled over.

In my first encounter with K-horns, bass drums were moving the legs of my jeans at 10 feet away. The demo amp was only 100 watts, too.