eBay Scammer

dodger

Well, the suburbs are safe. Wrong.

In a Suburb by me, a young girl has been arrested for swindling an Ohio man out of $28,000.00.

She offered a 2003 Hummer for sale, accepted a bank check and never delivered the vehicle. The Auction was in October 2004. The Sherrodsville, Ohio man was the winner.

She also has charges of check forgery.

The 16 year old is being held pending a $25,000.00 cash bail or $50,000.00 bond.

I just shake my head. I hope she is ordered to pay restitution plus...

I bought my last car from someone who bought it on ebay. He just added $400 to what he paid for it and re-sold the car. Flippin cars, it is called. He had HIS money on the line waiting for the title to come in the mail from Detroit (we are in So.Cal) Two weeks time and the title was in his hands and soon there after, in mine. The car was real (we saw it before we put $200 down to hold it while the title came) and I was only out the earnest money if things went bad. Lots of fraud out there, be carefull!!!

Agreed.

With Ohio only about six hours away, for $28,000.00 I'd go pick the car up.

Makes you wonder how a 16 year old can start selling (or in this case non-selling) cars on eBay.

It seems within the past year roughly, it's gone downhill.

But the fees have gone up.

Always use a Postal Money Order. There are numerous ways you can check residency - calling the County Clerk and asking if the person owns any real property in that County.

eBay Contact info. A friend sells a number of things - he has a listed telephone, owns property, is great to deal with.

If the deal seems too good check it out. Losing the item is better than losing your money.

dodger

May I suggest that ANYONE who deals partakes in a transaction that is either exspensive or involves an item whose performance/condition is important use a legitimate escrow service such as www.escrow.com! But be sure to use a reputible escrow service, as there have been escrow frauds!

Nothing beats a little research before ignorantly entering into a deal!

This protects both parties! It protects the buyer in that they are assured of actually receiving an item in the condition specified, and it protects the buyer in that the buyer asserts that the item is received in acceptable condition.

One has to wonder about the (lack of) thought of someone who would send an insecure form of cash payment for an unseen vehicle miles away! Let alone $28,000!!!! While i feel rather ssad for the buyer, I can't help but laugh my posterior off at their stupidity!

Personally I will pay the extra $50 to mitigate the risk for a $500 amp! Especially as all risk is removed!

And if the seller or buyer refuses, I would thank them for allowing you to avoid a fraudulent deal.

And while you are at it, check out the legitimate site with the funny name and allow yourself to become educated about PayPal at www.paypalsucks.com, and understand why you see SO many "No Paypal" emblems! What an operation!

With all due respects, cover your assets, screw PayPal and use Escrow!

Oh, and one more suggestion, as long as no one uses it on an auction I am bidding on!2.gif9.gif

If you are sitting up at 3am trying to post a winning last second bid after foolishly engaging in a bidding war as you feel that your ego needs to see your name as top bidder during the entire 7day auction (well, if you are I do have a few descriptive words for you!9.gif but you need to get a life and learn to bid smart!

But if you are seriously bidding, you need to become a stealth operator and not advertise your interest and learn to snipe! Get a program such as Auction Sentry for $15 and set it and forget it!

Or you can sit there and bid against the 12 year old neophyte who is willing to place 87 bids per hour and pay 3times the new list price for an item! It is hilarious to watch thses auctions! And absolutely infuriating when I want the item!9.gif

You can complain about how the world works, or you can learn to play according to its rules! I really don't care to engage in a discussion of whether or not it's unethical to steal bases in a baseball game! Learn the rules and strategies and use them productively!

I inquired once about a deal that seemed "too good"... and it was. Someone in the UK was trying to sell a car that I actually located in NY. The auction stated that it was guaranteed and backed up by eBay's Square Deal auction service, which he claimed was basically a $20k insurance policy. However, he wanted the funds sent direct via Western Union labeled as "gift" to avoid taxes. I found the vehicle on another auto-trader site and validated possession through the dealer that was trying to sell it for a significant amount more. This person didn't change the VIN or photos copied from the other site!

Square Deal can be used as the deal moderator, but the money must go through them and they guarantee up to $200 not $20k.

Recently, I've been contact via second chance offers after loosing an auction. It appears as if the winner backed out and the item is still for sale. However, this is another scam that only appears to be legit because of the eBay style email and linked pages sent for payments.

EBay did send a warning notice to me before I had a chance to respond to the offer. Otherwise, I might have considered the deal. Interesting that this offer was also being sent from the UK...

The last 3 Posts are excellent. Pay heed..

It can't be stated enough to not pay via Western Union. You have no recourse other than filing reports with your local Police.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. At one point we considered a move to Florida. As I would do with any builder or Contractor, I asked if they ever had any Liens or Judgements filed against them.

Some were quite irritated that such a question be asked - they usually had one or the other outstanding. Some were honest. I still checked at the County Clerk anyway.

This relates to checking the source of the product you are bidding on.

Also avoid the "second chance" schemes. I am not saying all eBay auctions are a fraud, misrepresented or any of the like.

The good sellers work to keep their reputation. They will work with you.

Ebay now offers real people interaction on auto purchases. They have a contact available 24/7. But that doesn't preclude the observations made here. I saw a pair of high end speakers being flipped on Ebay via Audigon. They were being sold out of New Zealand 1st on Audiogon for X$. Then using the same photos someone in Chi town had them on Ebay for 3X$. I advised both sites and the Ebay ad evaporated. I have purchased one auto on Ebay. Triple checked the source (a Dealer) and it all went pretty smoothly. Got essentially a new BMW all wheel 3 series for 25K. So good deals are there but all the caveats apply.

Remember too that PayPAl will not help you at all...even if it you had buyer protection. They feel as long as you got SOMETHING then their job is done.

I got a speaker from a seller who listed it as new in the box, still sealed, never opened...what arrived had a different serial number, was obviously used, someone had set drink glasses on the top, scratches and scuffs appeared to have been "repaired" with black marker and it was missing the speaker grill, feet, and owner's manual.

Complaints to PayPal, EVEN WITH BUYER PROTECTION got me nowhere.

Since I bought it on eBay, I filed with them...complaint after complaint (at the end I erased 111 emails 6.gif )

They did nothing! Oh, they said nice things and they MAY have locked down the sellers account for 30 days (not allowed to tell you as it violates the privacy act they say, rolleyes) but NOTHING!

In the end it was friends like I found here on this Forum (dodger 16.gif ) that helped me to keep going. That and a vigilant Police Detective who got the seller to refund my money minus a bit for the grill.

Square Deal was no help, both parties have to agree to be arbitrated and then they only insure up to $200 (minus their fee) and I was out $506 bux.

eBay DID offer to take the speaker off my hands (never to be seen again...would become their property!) and give me $175 ($200 minus $25 fee) HA!

I kept at it and kept at it (remember 111 emails AND negative feedback!) until seller FINALLY gave me my money back and apologized...60 days after receipt of my money.

Buyer Beware! 2.gif16.gif

Bill

My suggestion is to completely 'ignore EBay's various warranties!

Having experienced dealing with them you are basically on your own!

Again, if you purchase any thing that you cannot risk a losse on, use www.escrow.com. Both buyer and seller are covered equally.

And if you are a seller, you are a fool to use PayPal!

For instance, if anyone commits Credsit card fraud AGAINST you (meaning the provide fraudulent info) they will seize your account and all funds due you! Even though YOU are the victim!

With all due respect, debating how you can use EBay's internal mechanisms or their PayPal service is simply an exercise in futility! They ultimately leave you hanging! I know!

But there is an easy and foolproof solution! You needn't try to figure out how to make EBay's lousy broken mechanisms work.

With escrow you set mutual terms (time periods, etc.) you senf them secured funds, they ship the merchandise via 3rd party trackabvle certied carrier (UPS, FedEx), you inspect the merchandise (and can negotiate for several days time to do so!), if its ok you notify the escrow firm to release the funds. If the product does not, you return the product via certified means and the funds are returned to you.

The conditions of the merchandise are stated, you inspect the merchandise, proitecting both you and the seller from false claims, and the secured money either goes to the seller upon your final acceptance of the merchandise, or you return it and the money comes back to you. ALL bases are covered!

I have done this many times and am amazed that this is not the defacto method of doing business!

And PLEASE read up on PayPal at the www.paypalsucks.com web site! THEY are the ones primarily involved with the state's attorney generals and the courts with the legal issues. It is not some wacko emotional site!

If you use this method, EBay becomes a very simple place!

But this site will become a litany of whines over the crappy Paypal system and the fact that EBay, when it comes down to it is purchase nuetral - the "assume that everyone is fundamentally honest". You, on the other hand, would be wise to be less generous and more prudent!

Its easier to do it right then to spend lots of time whining afterwards about how things SHOULD have been!

Be a smart Ebayer! And use sniping software!

Well, I'm glad to see that law enforcement has gotten involved. Prosecution of the fraud is a good thing. What I wonder is if the guy stands much of a chance to get his $28K restored to him. What kind of scenarios could play out there?

On the Fraud charge, probation to 3 years prison, for thee multiple forged check charges up to seven years in prison.

NO restitution was mentioned. If none is ordered in Criminal, a civil lawsuit will have to filed.

Since she resides here in NY State, that would be the venue.

The Gentleman would have to ask for legal fees, Court Costs, etc., plus since she is under eighteen, her Parents would also have to be included in the suit.

If she spent the money and her Parents don't have the money, the Father's wages can be garnished until she moves out, then her wages if any, would be garnished

i get scammer email just when i ask about an item, last one was a 1982 reisue of a moderene gibson guitar ,a rare reisue, first made in 1956 maybe 146 were made they were not popular;sorta of like a cornwall,all records were lost in gibson factory fire, an droped in the line of the flying-v, explorer,an moderne,in the 50's, a real one would run ya about 60k who needs a hummer, with a 60k dollar axe,dude was in the UK an was the same thing send your name an info,thier even forshadowing their scamms,i've only bought of of instrument exchange, it is set up lock tight they handle every thing an shipping an 48hour inspection why ebay can't do this is beyone me guitar centers owens instrument exchange an their small peanuts compared to ebays capital- lie -ation ,an this same scammer was on instrument exchange for about a day an they folded him before there was any action on the acution, here is the email, the dudes in the UK but ships from chicago, sort of like that 7.1 heritage system that sold for around 7k an then was in the UK 2 days later with cactus in the background an for sale again on ebay, my email;Dear kjmbbillingsley,

>

>was this listed on instrument exchange,you have little feed back only

5 an

>i can't see any items you have sold before what can you do to make me

>confident your not just another evilbay scammer, Reply;Thank you for your interest regarding my guitar.

All I can tell you about it is that I am the only owner and it has been

very

well kept;it's in perfect shape and has no scratches, dings or any

marks .

The buy it now price for this guitar is $2200 and it includes

shipping/handling and insurance also.I am located in Chicago-USA and

this is

the place where shipping starts.

I am aware of the buyer protection thing and I always offer that to

my

buyers working with a third party to protect our deal.

So, if you're interested and decided to buy this guitar please reply me

with

a shipping address so I can start the shipping process right away.

Thank you and please let me know what you decide from here,

urs Mario,

"Well, the suburbs are safe......"

And that was the first false assumption. Well, for the most part, they are, but usually, if one uses some common sense, the safety factor increases markedly.

If you leave your wallet full of money on a table at McDonalds, though, don't be shocked when it disappears. The buyer of this vehicle might as well done the same.

Common sense allows for a much greater comfort level - and much less paranoia.

I wouldn't buy a car from ebay unless it was within driving distance.

A good friend of mine in south texas purchased a used Range Rover from a seller in Irving, CA. When the vehicle was delivered, he found out it had been in a pretty bad wreck, which wasn't disclosed in the add, or discovered through the Carfax website. He paid $7grand (which initially was thought to be a steel), but within a years time, after dumping more than what he paid for the bomb, turns out the steel was made in Irving.