To go back to vinyl or not?

Piranha

----------------

On 5/1/2005 11:59:02 PM Piranha wrote:

I am considering revisiting vinyl. Am I nuts or is this a good idea? Why, why not?

----------------

Go for it. There's a wealth of good music out there in thrift shop bargain bins. I've bought some great records for as little as 50 cents.

Sony has TTs in the semi newly released class. A middle price also. That only being said as they control much of the music.

If they are bringing TTs back, are they hinting?

Other Companies are pressing 180 gram vinyl LPs.

Taking those factors, add the availability of LPs at Thrift shops plus decent record cleaners and the MM5 or 7 TTs you have a wealth of music.

OK Pir...

You had a Maple Tree with a phono section I presume. THen got the Peach?

SHould the sequence of events of considering TT be before; when you could have bought the Bleuberry?

So you do not agaonize, stick with CD.

All the LPs you find just mail them to Craig and I for "disposal"; we will reimburse you the shipping.

You might consider recording the vinyl in Sony Sound Forge 8 with the highest sample rate, applying the click & crackle filter, applying the tube simulation filter if necessary, correct the excessive rumble if necessary, apply the clipped peak filter if necessary, then record it back to cd or tape with the highest sample rate. Then give all of your records to me so I can do the same.

JJK

----------------

On 5/2/2005 7:25:57 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

OK Pir...

You had a Maple Tree with a phono section I presume. THen got the Peach?

SHould the sequence of events of considering TT be before; when you could have bought the Bleuberry?

So you do not agaonize, stick with CD.

All the LPs you find just mail them to Craig and I for "disposal"; we will reimburse you the shipping.

----------------

I am getting a Blueberry for my VPI table 9.gif

I have significant skill with Sound Forge and similar processing packages, and have, at times, achieved meaningful improvements in damaged or compromised sound from a variety of sources. However, only two processes remain in my arsenal for LP's. Pop and Click removal from Sound Forge's DX Noise Reduction module, which does a supberb job and does absolutely nothing to the signal until it sees the target signature, and DBX companders. I might also note that the SF DX requires you to record the LP. For it to even approach the original sound, I recommend 24/88.2. OTOH, A DBX unit, properly adjusted (which, as I've had one or another of them in my system for 30 years, takes about 2 seconds), really removes the sense of compression (which is, of course, for real) from LP's and makes them fidelity superior to either SACD or DVD-A in most cases (strictly IMOH, of course). And, of course, this is done in realtime without recording.

Neither of these are required to enjoy an excellent LP using quality playback equipment, but either or both address the core problems many have with LP's about as well as anything available.

Dave

DO IT! I am resurrecting my TT and just ordered my new cartridge. I thoroughly look forward to moving back into vinyl. A Blueberry w/your VPI, hmmm more VRDs on the way or just replacing the Peach or perhaps just another addition? Do tell!2.gif

am getting a Blueberry for my VPI table

++++++++++++++++++++++

Great components.

An odd recomendation but bear with me.

After one small tube "roll" and some work by NOS Valves on my vintage AMPEX preamp my Grado Gold cart sounds musical, effortless and non fatigueing.

GO with a cart between $ 150 and 200 or less initially; it leaves room for improvment over time.

Make sure to get the VPI record cleaner as soon as possible.

What speaker are you using right now?

----------------

On 5/2/2005 12:37:23 PM J.4knee wrote:

DO IT! I am resurrecting my TT and just ordered my new cartridge. I thoroughly look forward to moving back into vinyl. A Blueberry w/your VPI, hmmm more VRDs on the way or just replacing the Peach or perhaps just another addition? Do tell!
2.gif
----------------

Jim, I am thinking about replacing the Peach with a Blueberry. I will eventually get another pair of VRD's for a second sytem when I move into my new house.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 12:50:10 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

am getting a Blueberry for my VPI table

++++++++++++++++++++++

Great components.

An odd recomendation but bear with me.

After one small tube "roll" and some work by NOS Valves on my vintage AMPEX preamp my Grado Gold cart sounds musical, effortless and non fatigueing.

GO with a cart between $ 150 and 200 or less initially; it leaves room for improvment over time.

Make sure to get the VPI record cleaner as soon as possible.

What speaker are you using right now?----------------

Rick,

I am likely going to be buying a new VPI Scoutmaster and I want to get a good cartridge with it. I am just not sure what I should get. I am lost as far as TT's and carts go. HELP me out here guys!!

----------------

On 5/2/2005 11:21:02 AM Royster wrote:

Vinyl........... is there anything else???? I play 50 lps to every cd. Silky smooth, like taking 5 blankets off the horns. May the force be with you.
----------------

I hope I have the same impression. 3.gif