Vanishing LaScala

Forum members,

If you haven't heard of this take heed. I purchased a nice set of Klipsch LaScalas on eBay back in March. I contacted the seller for packaging options. He agreed to package them for a minimal price. I called FedEx and used my account to create a "Call Tag" (a pickup dispatch) whereby FedEx personnel are dispatched to pick up a package and it's automatically billed to my FedEx account. No problem...right? Wrong!!!

FedEx picked up the packages (2 speakers) at the seller's residence, and my tracking began online. I saw the pickup information (2 items each with their own tracking #), I say their routing (left Grand Rapids, MI...arrived in Chicago, etc.) They showed that 1 package left Chicago, the other one didn't. Days later one LaScala shows up at my front door in great shape. I hooked it up...it sounded awesome. The other one is still missing (they can't find the speaker). It's 38"x26"x27" and weighs 135lbs. FedEx can't find it.

My recourse? File a claim! I filed a claim w/ FedEx to cover my loss. I had to provide to them a copy of what I paid for it (American Express to PayPal), the PayPal statement showing that payment was made to the seller, and estimates of the item's value. I insured each speaker for $1000 each and paid the premium.

The claim has just been resolved! FedEx paid me $169 for reimbursement of the speaker shipping cost and the value of the speaker. Evidently, FedEx reserves the right to classify this type of equipment as "vintage" and vintage items have a high-limit cap that restricts FedEx's liability to $100 per item.

So, my LaScala has vanished without a trace and FedEx has reimbursed me $169. Life is soooooo good!

Moral of the story? There's nothing like local pickup...OR...don't use FedEx for shipping anything w/ more value than $100 (which basically rules out all Klipsch equipment).

Later, fellow dudes and dudettes....Mitch14.gif15.gif7.gif

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. You know they sure don't mind, or tell you when you pay for extra Insurance that you have over insured. Thats a crime.

I am interested and looking for one La Scala I live in Dallas if you are willing to sell let me know. All the best, Guy

I had a similar problem twice with damaged goods from UPS and it has almost convinced me to quit buying used off of audiogon.com. It seems that shipping companies are more interested in protecting themselves than the people they serve no matter what insurance you buy. They make the rules.

First sorry for you problems.

Second I know this won't help you...but it might help others in the future. FedEx Ground has almost nothing to do with FedEx. FedEx Ground used to be RPS (Roadway) FedEx bought RPS and renamed it as FedEx ground and painted all the trucks. Sure it is more complicated then that...but that is where FedEx Ground came from in a nutshell.

They stink, in my opinion. UPS is more expensive, but if you have a claim UPS WILL pay out.

Disclaimer, I worded for UPS for 8 years in the 80s and 90s. I no longer do and have no reason to speak highly of UPS other then I know first hand how hard they try to be the best in customer service. If you pack the box carefully and have pictures to back it up...and the box shows signs of damage in transit UPS will pay the claim. I have shipped 100s of boxes for ebay and other reasons and had one 600 dollar claim on a damaged Academy. I got every penny in insured value and shipping back.

Again, sorry for you situation...that really stinks.

Well blast!!! I know that sometimes mother earth can be hell. Terrible! I wish you strenght. And yes, what Fedex did to you surely looks like unlawful, maybe other better known in the US law can chime in. Vintage or not, LS are still for sale new. It's not up to them what's vintage or not, value is value! This can't be right. Insured is insured, 2nd hand, vintage or new! I hope there is someone on the forum that knows the law and can help you. 7.gif Tim.

It was definitely FedEx Ground. I didn't know that they were not part of the original FedEx. I've always had the highest respect for both UPS and FedEx, but this ordeal has completely erased any good that FedEx ever did. I can only hope that they may still find the speaker and deliver it to me.

Thanks....mitch

That is ridicules. I have had a customer paid $450 for damage to a amplifier that was shipped here. Funny part is I fixed the damage for free so he ended up with it completely free the claim covered the purchase and rebuild. All he used for proof of worth was a past eBay auction closing price without a single problem. I think you should not cash the check and go back and argue.

Craig

----------------

On 5/3/2005 5:24:15 PM ben. wrote:

Call American Express. Bet you a buck they'll get you your money.

----------------

call them! really, the cards can kick some azz, put them in the batters box. call the fbi,cia and the president. just don't roll over. shake the trees, that scala is somewhere darn it all....11.gif

American Express has the best customer service I've ever seen. I'd try to call them and see what they can do. I'd also call your state department of consumer affairs and inquire there as well. If you insured it for 1,000 bucks, then you should be able to collect on it, yes? That is unless FedEx sneaked some fineprint in there stating that regardless of how much you insure it for, they have the right to assess it's value independently and then pay out accordingly. Either way, FedEx Ground seems to be doing what automobile insurance companies do - trying to rip you the hell off. I've been down that road too, but thankfully, my father's had a successful law practice in NY for the past 25 years so they couldn't screw me like they do practically everybody else. Point is, however, for every person like me they can't screw, they still wind up screwing 100 others, so they're still waaaay ahead of the game, although they claim to be being squeezed and bled to death by the lawyers. That's a bunch of crap, believe me. People might not like lawyers, and I can understand this, but you can't depend on other people--let alone big companies--to do what's "right." You need somebody to help stand up for you and your individual rights and if not, then you best be prepared to surrender them and allow yourself to be at the mercy of the unmerciful. As for buying Klipsch speakers over the internet and having them shipped to you, well, I've heard good stories and bad stories. Mostly good, mind you, but the bad ones really stink and they seem to becomming more and more commonplace, especially with Ebay. Better to bide your time and try and limit your Klipsch search to within driving distance. That way, nobody's going to rip you off because you can inspect them first and nobody's going to claim to have lost (?!) a speaker the size of a medium refrigerator because you drove them home yourself. That's really the safest way to buy used Klipsch.

Really sucks.

From the title I thought that your LS were imaging so well that they were disappearing.

15.gif

Don't cash anything yet, and try calling higher up in the FedEx chain of command.

Lawyers are expensive!

I could understand them not wanting to pay on some vintage item that was damaged in transit by YOUR negligence, but I can't understand them not paying your claim for something THEY LOST!

I would hate to think it isn't lost, that someone on the shipping chain FOUND it and has a sweet new center channel. For your sake, I truly hope this works out in the best possible way.

If not, you will be able to collect the fair market value of the item. As a single, it should be worth more than half of the pair, but they may not give you that. The fair market value shouldn't be determined by them, at any time. I didn't catch the sales price, but that may be the closest indicator of market value. Best of luck!

Chris

----------------

On 5/3/2005 8:35:48 PM mungkiman wrote:

I could understand them not wanting to pay on some vintage item that was damaged in transit by YOUR negligence, but I can't understand them not paying your claim for something THEY LOST!

I would hate to think it isn't lost, that someone on the shipping chain FOUND it and has a sweet new center channel. For your sake, I truly hope this works out in the best possible way.

Chris
----------------

Exactly what I was thinking. They lost a freaking 80 pound behemoth. Something's not right.

Exactly what I was thinking. They lost a freaking 80 pound behemoth. Something's not right.

----------------

The mob got the La Scala stuffed a body in it and dropped it in the river 9.gif

They are right if anyone can help American Express will great customer service. I have had shippers refuse to pay out on damaged goods but maybe from now on I will buy but with AmEx.

80 pounds nuthin'...Klipsch says they're 123 pounds each and when crated properly, they'll obviously weigh more. Mitch says 135 or so. Might weigh even more then that. La Scalas are HUGE - I know this for a fact because I own 4 of them.

Mitch - you don't want to cash that check. There's usually fineprint on it stating that your signature on it and your cashing of it will signal an acceptance of their "offer" and "release" them from all further liability.

My insurance company tried to pull that fast-one on me when drunken idiot ran a red light and caused me to smash into her effectively killing my old volvo. The insurance company acted all nice, told me not to worry and that they'd take care of me, and then sent me a check for about HALF of what the NADA guide said my car was worth. ANd the check had the fine print on it saying that my me sigining it and cashing it I was accepting their offer of settlement and realeasing them from all further liability. When I read that, I vocally cursed them at the top of my lungs and then just handed the whole thing over to my father's office.

He got me NADA high book value plus 10% by threatening to sue them over trying to deliberately scam me.

It's a downright shame that's what it took in order for me to get what was rightfully coming to me.

PS - the problem with going to a lawyer for something like your FedEx issue is that lawyers will typically charge $250-500 per hour and those guys can eat up time faster then you can drain a bottle of ice-cold Becks, so you'll probably wind up paying them close to if not more then what the speaker's worth. And you know what...FedEx knows this too, that's why they think they have you by the you-know-what. Again, it's a downright shame.

don't cash that check! if you do it means your in agreement ,contact their legal department ,an tell them you will sue them, on just princple ; FedEx paid me $169 for reimbursement of the speaker shipping cost and the value of the speaker;an why would you have to pay shipping, on something you didn't get ,tell them being subpoena, an depossition under oath ,all the way up the chain ,is quite uncomfortable, an you would like to resolve the issue, you have all the documentation ,an have made your, $200 an hour esq, card company, insurnace comissioner,bbb,... aware, an document everyone you talk to in the process ,and of course you will also sue them for court costs, you incure,don't deal with customer service, which is farmed out, get ahold of the higher ups