FedEx strikes again!

codhead

I had the same thing happen to a heathlit once there is a easy fix for it and yours looks hardly bowed. In fact when I first looked at the photo I thought ... what is you were talking about.

Take a 1" X 2" board maybe 2' long slid the small end carefully in next to the power transformer between it and the output transformer move any wiring carefully out of the way. It may require 2 people one to hold the board. Now lower the board down to the floor with the amp on top with the board touch just the right spot and apply some preasure the bow will bend back up. Worked like a charm for me! Fed Ex paid the customer $450 for the damage. My customer got his amp basically for free and they paid for 80% of the rebuild.

Craig

Codhead,

Does that have one of Ned's 13 pound power transformers on it? If it does it's no wonder it bent.

The way to send it is upside down, no cage on it, with the trannies in solid foam. The chassis is lighter and won't do the damage on its own.

That is clean looking.

Marvel

It was insured, and thankfully the guy I bought it from will replace the chassis. It's already been sent back, but no telling how long all of this will take.

It has an aftermarket power transformer, which is of higher capacity (and weight) than the original. This probably did not help any when it got dropped. Can't wait to hear what one sounds like - but guess I have to now.

Was thinking about buying (and shipping) a pair of Corns, but guess I'll stick with my proven pickup truck delivery method. Kind of cuts down on the purchasing options (distance), but at least I know they won't get dropped.

Hate to see that, but I will say one thing . Out of all the tears buying and selling you have a MUCH better chance of getting paid with FedEx than with UPS. In fact I had a independent claim gut come out tomy house to look at a destroyed

4,000.00 mixing board. He had worked for all the major shippers in the last 25 years and told me fedex will pay out 95% of the time and UPs is almost the oppisite. Just my personal experiance.

I bought a couple of tube monoblocks from a guy on ebay. He packed them terrible, with just some folded cardboard around the amps. Then, he has the balls to write 'Books and Videos' on the box and ships them media mail, just to save a few bucks on shipping. The chassis on one of them got bent as well. The guy is so stupid, I feel bad leaving him a negative, but am considering it.

UPS modified my RW-12 I had shipped to a gentleman in Linden Texas. Unfortunately, the broken grill, cracked housing and bent woofer didn't sound quite as good as the new owner had hoped. They tried to decline paying insurance by claiming I didn't pack it properly but, I kept their feet to the fire and they have, just yesterday, left me a message stating they are in the process of cutting a check for the damage. We shall soon see.

I had an item I bought from a guy out in Nevada that got damaged (my RB-5's) that FedEx originally declined. I understood because they looked perfect on the outside but the tweeter had fallen off and bounced around on the inside of the speaker. I took pictures and forwarded them to FedEx and they re-examined and approved the claim. I eneded up getting the speakers back that, with a little glue and some soldering, turned out to be almost as good as new.

I have to say my experence with FedEx was a much more pleasant experience.

D

Not a shipping problem, but we purchased a hardware router for our network late last summer. It would reboot two to three times a day. They would send us new firmware to upload that 'fixed' it. Nope. Same thing over and over...for months.

Last month they refunded the full amount, $8,000 plus. We bought a different brand to replace it (for an additional $2-3K.

They had told us for over a month that they would refund the money, but we didn't really believe them.

Marvel

When I shipped my Rowland amp (135 pounds) back ro the factory for some referb, they recommended that I put polyethylene foam between the bottom of the trannie and the shipping crate. They must have learned from experience since it did not come that way.

Jim N

----------------

On 5/11/2005 7:57:58 PM cueman wrote:

I bought a couple of tube monoblocks from a guy on ebay. He packed them terrible, with just some folded cardboard around the amps. Then, he has the balls to write 'Books and Videos' on the box and ships them media mail, just to save a few bucks on shipping. The chassis on one of them got bent as well. The guy is so stupid, I feel bad leaving him a negative, but am considering it.

----------------

Don't feel bad! Look at it from another perspective. You negative response will either teach him to pack better during shipment or it will protect others from bidding for his merchandise because he doesn't pack his shipments adequately. At the very least leave him a neutral, explaning the poor packing!

D

I've also had damage to a CD player shipped UPS. They did settle all repair charges. But about the gorillas that throw our delicate electronics. I work with two fellas that work part-time nights at FedEx Ground. One unloads tandem trailers. He is expected to unload (throw) no less than 1160 packages per hour. The goal is 1300. Try that for 5 hours. And FedEx ground ships everything from tractor tires to steel to our little amplifiers. They no not what is in each box, nor do they care. The name of the game is moving packages, lots of'em and as fast as possible cause when you're finished with that trailer, there is another waiting. And another And another. And another. And another. And still another. Sorry guys but that is the reality of the situation. Double box in extra big boxes with plenty of padding and popcorn. They must be able to sustain a throw of 6-8 feet or being dropped from the back of a trailer to the ground.

The last guy said it exactly how it is. I worked for what was RPS when I was in college loading and unloading trailers. The goal is numbers and because if they have to pay some poor college kid the extra $7.50/hr for him to take a extra hour to pack that truck that is totally unacceptable. The way it was explained to me at the time was we can only have so many people to load a truck. Corp. will only alot for this many people for this amount of work. I used to load two-three full semi trailers a night with somewhere around 2500-3000 packages or so by myself. What did this teach me to pack everything to with stand a 5 foot hard fall at the very least. Or the force of another package falling on it because the load shifted. There were some poorly packed trailers and usually if it was a partial trailer alot of the stuff in the back was damaged. I have shipped alot of stuff and never once have had a complaint I shipped a pair of speakers the guy said was over packed. But he got them 100% intact. I have gotten poorly packed stuff from ebayers also. I think people need to think before they assume that it will be fine just thrown in a box with a few wraps of bubble wrap.

----------------

On 5/11/2005 7:46:58 PM Marvel wrote:

Codhead,

Does that have one of Ned's 13 pound power transformers on it? If it does it's no wonder it bent.

The way to send it is upside down, no cage on it, with the trannies in solid foam. The chassis is lighter and won't do the damage on its own.

That is clean looking.

Marvel
----------------

That looks like one of my early chassis reproductions runs. I spent about a year trying to get myself a few decent chassis for my own collection of ST70's and due to having to run minimums, I have a bunch of extra chasiss. Been scattering them on Ebay now and then. My last run is perfect! Any Klipschers interested, send me a PM and I'll get you one for much cheaper than I have to hawk them on Ebay for. They're still costly, though as it's no easy process making a high quality sheet metal chassis in small volume.

I had a custom made stained glass lamp and shade sent to me once with nothing but "shredded" paper thrown into the cardboard box along with a few flat sheets of newspaper.

Of course it was damaged and took months to get my money back.

I wouldnt hesitate to give someone negative feedback.

"I work with two fellas that work part-time nights at FedEx Ground. One unloads tandem trailers. He is expected to unload (throw) no less than 1160 packages per hour. The goal is 1300. Try that for 5 hours. And FedEx ground ships everything from tractor tires to steel to our little amplifiers. They no not what is in each box, nor do they care. The name of the game is moving packages, lots of'em and as fast as possible cause when you're finished with that trailer, there is another waiting. And another And another. And another. And another. And still another. Sorry guys but that is the reality of the situation. Double box in extra big boxes with plenty of padding and popcorn. They must be able to sustain a throw of 6-8 feet or being dropped from the back of a trailer to the ground."

I guess I like the "old" method of work ethics:

My brother in-law watched as he drove up to his house the UPS driver literally throw his KG1.5's onto his walkway.

These were packed VERY well, but the impact bent the driver baskets beyond repair. He went ahead and purchased replacement drivers from Klipsch.

I would fire this type of worker.,,,,,,7.gif

Hired help is NOT what it used to be!

As far as throwing packages all shippers do it. There is just no way around it. A very good friend of mine works for UPS and has the same stories about there handleling. He also told me unless packed by a UPS store standard policy is to deny all claims as "not packaged properly" Fed Ex in my experience pays on there claims if the item is packaged properly. I also ship 100's of amps a year and have very few problems the worst I have ever happened is the damage listed above and the a few fuse holders shattered on the back of amps. I personally think this is mostly done by the owners unwrapping the amps. With these old amps the fuse holders are 45 years brittle.

Craig

I've worked for UPS for 19 years. I'm one of the people that determine how long it should take an individual to unload or load a trailer. The bad news is that "double box" wrapping does very little to prevent damages sustained when the carton is impacted by an external force. Every major shipper employs a "hub and spoke" distribution network that requires each package to be "handled" by a minimum of 2 distinct sort operations. Simply put-- each package will be loaded into a van or trailer, unloaded and re-loaded into a trailer destined for another facility where it will be unloaded and loaded again. For longer distances a third facility may be employed. It's a torturous journey--packages are unloaded onto belts or conveyors taht spill onto more belts that feed large metal chutes.

The common perception that most packages are damaged because they are "thrown" is not accurate. Most damages occur when the belts that feed the chutes become "jammed" with a large flow of package volume and the belt compresses the packages together. Using 2 boxes to enclose a single item will do little to reduce the strain that type of compression places on an object. The same goes for styrofoam "popcorn."

The best packaging is styrofoam molded around the object or molded styrofoam around each edge and a piece at the top and bottom fold. The styrofoam will absorb the compression.

Hope this helps!