Like What You Have??? Thank A Veteran!

You got that right. I just watched the movie "City of God". I couldn't believe the crime and poverty of that country, and how those little kids were growing up. It was just crazy. I was thinking how good we have it, and how I take some things for granted. You just cant' put a price on what our troops do for us. This is a great nation, and it never could of been without our lost heroes, and the ones that are still with us God bless them.

----------------

On 5/30/2005 2:17:50 AM jheis wrote:

I'm a vet and I don't need, or expect, any thanks.

However, I feel really sorry for the people getting their asses shot off while having to fight Bush's war on the cheap.

"Mission Accomplished," indeed.

James

----------------

While you don't feel that you need any thanks, what we have IS because of Vets like you.

While we can never repay all of the Vets, including those that gave everything, hopefully we can take a few days each year to pause and say Thank you.

For the Viet Nam Vets, it is time that you are finally getting some respect. You had a job to do, you did it but there were no cheers when you returned. You have my respect for what you did.

For all Emergency Personnel, you may not be Military, but you are serving just the same.

Whether You were in the Battlefield or in an Office, you had a role to play that has given me my continued Freedom, you work toward Peace and you ask little.

We owe you a lot. The ability to write these words.

All Races, Creeds, Colors, Nationalities - we are ALL Americans. I give my personal thanks also to Native-Americans who have given us their Veterans as well as so much more.

Please, thank a Veteran or an Emergency Personnel Worker. They keep us a great Country.

Thank You 12.gif

I totally agree!! My biggest hero's are the men who served in WWII. Without them who knows what this country would be like today. I watched my favorite movie last night " Saving Private Ryan " as I do every Memorial Day! I also love Band Of Brothers.

While I was stationed in Germany in June of '84, I had a knock at my barracks door. I opened it only to see an elderly American man and his wife standing before me! He introduced himself and his wife and proceeded to tell me that he was a D-Day survivor, and that after the Allied invasion this very 2-man room that I was occupying once was his; that the entire post back then was an American occupied prison camp for of all things German female SS officers!

I showed him around...he was totally in awe of my furnishings (like a studio apartment). In his day 40 years earlier this room only had 2 steel bunks with 2 foot lockers, not the shelves of books, potted plants, lamps, framed pictures on the walls, a TV, stereo, a fridge, wood frame beds and decent furniture. He then showed me old snapshots of himself in this room, and of him as a prison guard at this very post...it was unbelievable! We talked for an hour, sharing with me his many experiences as a young soldier scared ****less as he watched his fellow soldiers die one by one by Nazi gunfire on the beach at Normandy! And that 40 years later he was here to revisit that hallowed ground with other US veterans on the 40th anniversary of the D-Day Allied invasion.

I may be considered a vet as well, but to me, that man is the epitome of what a true American vet stands for, to have sacrificed so much for so little in the name of freedom and honor to our country and to our flag! This is the man we as American citizens should be honoring...Lest we forget! 16.gif

You are too...thanks for your service...anyone who puts their life and livlihood on the line for others...anyone who runs towards danger instead of away...I don't care if you bake bread, clean latrines or what...you put it out there for others and you have my undying respect forever.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I definately cleaned my share of latrines in my 6 years!14.gif

My dad also served 9 years with 1 tour spent in Nam. He wanted to reenlist a third time to make his E-7 (SFC), but that also would've meant doing another tour in Nam, and my mom pleaded with him to end his career and come home to her and their two baby sons...so he did.

He'll talk about the Army all day long if you let him; he's proud to be a vet and to have served his country and to have traveled the world over. But he will not speak about Viet Nam, the things he did, or what he saw there (and he was in the "rear" much of the time setting up microwave communications antennas and other radio equipment...all I know is he lost alot of buddies over there).

To me, my dad will always be a hero, no matter what he did during that dreadful time! Viet Nam vets deserve our respect just as much as the vets of WWI, WWII, and the Korean conflict. And lets never forget our vets of Desert Storm, and to all our men and women in military service today who continue to fight for our freedom!1.gif

Concerning WW2 vets, better thank them quick, there won't be any left before long. I perform Funeral Honors Details for the Navy and I am always amazed at how many pass away each year just in my little neck of the woods. New Hampshire just opened a new Veterans Cemetary a few years ago and it seems to be filling fast. If you ever need reminding of your own mortality and how short our lives are, drop by your local Veterans Cemetary and check out the new markers, you will notice many from our current conflicts as well as the war of decades past.

• Moderators

Thanks to all vets and those serving now, without them all their is no telling what this country would be like today.

Should we be their or not makes NO difference at all, they still do a job that can,t be paid enough or thought of more highly.

• Like 1