so, i got la scalas today.. (not as impressed as i thought i'd be)

tofu

AL networks

woofer upgraded to a university (unsure of the model)

coming from rf-3ii's

now, before i start whining, i want to let you all know that i have two major things working against me.

a) source = PC

B) room = 11x11

---------

now, i had high expectations for the speakers, i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, or if roomsize/source is really choking these suckers, but i'm not too impressed. as for those saying the high end is "hot" i have to disagree. i found my rf-3's to sound brighter? perhaps it's the different type of bass that the scalas produce that make it seem that way.

anyhow, i don't notice that much of an improvement to warrent these big suckers and the cash spent for them. they'd be worth it if i didnt have rf-3ii's prior to this, but as it stands, i'm dissapointed.

perhaps i'm using the wrong taps on my amplifier? i have 4,8,16 ohm on my mc250. i'm using 4 ohm tap. maybe i need to upgrade to 12 guage speaker wire over my 14 guage. maybe they're out of phase? (i put red wire with red and black with black.) i'll try switching the phase tomorrow.

oh well.. they're great speakers, i just don't think they're what everyone makes them out to be. i havent listened at high music levels as it's 11:00pm in nyc. i'll screw around ("toe them in," try diff taps, diff music, etc..) with them some more tomorrow. it's hot and im tired from lifting these suckers.

overall, they're good speakers, just weren't worth the upgrade from what i had in my opinion.

are all components working? sometimes the tweeters are blown or crossover connections get loose. Stuff sock in mid horn to check tweets, if not working, check all xover connections. Room placement might be a factor, can you give your music types and exactly what you felt was lacking? THey should be WAAAAY louder than RB3's with tremendously more bass and midrange clarity. Remember that Reference series is very quick transient attack modern speaker. LaScala is basically a PA/theatre box.

Try to clarify your problems, maybe we can help, but you've got to get a real stereo in front of them.

Michael

Your room is a little small but I don't think that would cause them to be less satisfying than the RF3's

What is your Preamp. You have source of a PC going to an MC250?

The biggest weakest link I can think of is that AL network. There are some on this forum that are happy with them. I think they are terrible. I upgraded to ALK "universal type A" and the difference was unbelievable.

The La Scala Bass "sound" is nothing like the modern day speakers. Most would match a sub to them.

jc

i tried getting the grill off but i think it's stuck on? he claimed these speakers were 1967. were the grills glued on or something? i don't want to break anything tonight.

i did try using a piece of cardboard to seperate the tweeter and mid range horn. i did hear seperation.

as for network components being broke, i wouldnt know how to test for that..

i'm guessing the caps are outdated and need changing. if i have this done i may as well go with DIY ALKs, since they're all the rave.

it's just kind of depressing to have to do a bunch of upgrades/mods to get your speakers sounding like what they're supposed to. i got my hopes up and expected to be blown away as soon as hooking them up.

----------------

What is your Preamp. You have source of a PC going to an MC250?

The biggest weakest link I can think of is that AL network. There are some on this forum that are happy with them. I think they are terrible. I upgraded to ALK "universal type A" and the difference was unbelievable.

The La Scala Bass "sound" is nothing like the modern day speakers. Most would match a sub to them.

jc

----------------

i have a sub. bass is NOT a problem. i like this different sound of bass that the scalas produce over the rf-3s. it has more of a "slam" type of sound. drums sound more "drummy" as well.. heh

the reason i bought these were because of everyone claiming they sounded so damn realistic that it almost felt as if the artists were in the room with them. now i assumed that was midrange superiority. i'm not really seeing much of an improvement in this area.

then again, i havent really gotten to turn them up past 90db (guessing) or so.

no i don't have a preamp. pc -> mc250

I just today changed out my old AL networks for Type A's and the difference is significant. I think you should change networks and listen through a tubes in a large, rectangular room. A square room is probably the worst and 11' is small. Also try them out from the corners about 4-5'.

John

----------------

On 6/8/2005 10:18:50 PM tofu wrote:

... no i don't have a preamp. pc -> mc250

----------------

Are you playing CDs or MP3? MP3 trades lot of sound quality for space savings in the compression routines.

Hi! I just bought industrial LS and did the following: Replaced the woofers, I had the K43 in there and that sounds terrible for home audio use (IMO), you need the K33, so check which woofers are in there. The Networks most likely need to be replaced or rebuilt. Bob Crites (BEC here) or DeanG are the ones to discuss that. I got a BEC rebuilt. Then both my tweeters were blown, so had to solder new diaphrams. Mine sound great now. You need to do some work and then decide! Good luck, Tim. 1.gif

I think that the wrong woofers in there and the AL network could be causing some of what you are hearing. Those '67's should have a Type A or AA network in them and the Klipsch K-33 woofer. You can't just slap another woofer in that bin and expect it to perform optimally.

Hey don't feel bad. I was in for a bit of a suprise with my belles. I thought I was going to faint with passion when I fired them up for the first time. Didn't happen for me. But then again, 1 woofer was blown as well as a tweeter in the other belle. Once I got that all going they sounded much better. Yet, for the price, they still didn't woo me enough to keep them, so they got sold to a fellow forum member. The one thing that I do miss is the nice midrange. Very smooth sounding speaker. All in all if I had to put my RF7s against my old belles, I think I'd favor my RF7s. I think my biggest complaint about the belles was the lack of good deep digging bass with them. It was too shallow for my tastes. It may have been perfect for someone else, just not me.

But to be fair. I didn't have a room that was optimal for the belles either. If the LaScala's don't do it for you, don't feel bad. Not everyone is a Heritage type. Sell them and try something else. You know the saying... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Same goes with sound.

At any rate, don't feel bad. 1.gif

Rick

I disagree as strongly as The South did with The North. I do not think it is only the room. I rent an apartment in Tampa so small that I can not fit my big ole horns in through the door; if there was any, and I do mean any, place to put them. Yet, I must have music and I must watch movies on a large screen with a stereo output for sound, so I ran a pair of big Altec-Lansing Model One bass-reflex bookshelf cone loudspeakers with new woofers with my vintage harmon kardon 330B receiver. Very good sound. Beats most $300-500 best buy offerings, especially in bass output. Yet was not soul-satisfying.

Got mint black AL-3 LaScallas last week for $500. Thanks Klipsch Alert posters! Took off window to get them in to apartment. Hooked up to delicate solid-state Roksan Capasian receiver. Pointed at sitting spot four feet away. No room but to put them on either side of the TV (36 wide) and against front wall. Yet they sound wonderful! Big difference compared to Altecs. Crisp, clean, clear: all the appellations big ole horns deserve. Quick attack, fast pace, dynamic. Excellent imaging. The 3D sonic holograph of the singer is right there in a way they never were with Altecs (at any angle). Bass not as punchy or as deep. Edged out to point at back of head (to widen soundstage). Makes music and movies as enjoyable as new car.

Cant wait to get them on vintage harmon kardon 330B, then tubes. Wish there was room for a subwoofer (under the TV somehow).

10.gif