For -Andy -AkA -HDBRbuilder

cluless

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A salute to you Andy from another former serviceman!

I did some time down in Tegucigalpa, Honduras in '85 (Sandanistas/Contras deal) and some time in the first Desert Storm so keep your head down and your chin up and make it home safe man so you can continue to elighten us on things Klipsch.

Regards,

Sgt Borchers

Andy, another vet here to wish you God Speed and thank you for your continued service. Though my active duty was not in a war zone, I know the feelings of being away from home and loved ones. The duty that you and all of our troops are serving every day is valuable and vital. Though you are a Noncom, please accept the following for yourself and all who serve with you.

Coming to attention,

Klipsch board,

Forums,

Atten Hut!

(Sound of thousands coming to attention.)

Present

Present

Arms!

Thousands of smartly executed salutes with back straight, head up, shoulders back.

Order

Order

Arms!

(Sound of thousands going back to attention)

Klipsch board,

Forums,

Stand at

Stand at

Ease!

Coming to attention again then offering right hand in friendship,

Thank All of you for all you do every day!

Hey Carol, look in your email, I got a chance to get online again, even got a chance to check out the forum. Thanks folks, now for an update, it is currently 9PM local Kuwaiti time, with a temperature of 102 degrees F., high today was 115 (average high for past 30 days is 118), low will be tonight around 90-95. Nice Springtime Kuwait weather, with summer temperatures expected within the next 30 days(highs up to 140 degrees F.). Hope none of you are complaining about the summer heat THERE, because we call that MILD weather here. Why do people live/work in a desert this hot? Answer: they have air-conditioning and/or don't go out all day.

NEWS FLASH!! I am currently planning to extend my tour here, for at least a year! Why? Because I only have one more year on this enlistment and I want to grab up all the active duty points I can for my retirement pay at age 60. I am eligible for retirement in January, but will have one year left on the enlistment, so may as well finish it out here.

I went to the Philippines, Panglao Island in Bohol Province in the Visayas, and Puerto Galera in Oriental Mindoro Island for my R&R leave. I had to get a country clearance, but that was no hassle. The snorkeling and scuba diving were fantastic at both places, and everything there is INEXPENSIVE, to say the least! Now I know why the Phils are called the "Pearl of the Orient". Jeepneys and "tricycles" are the best form of transportation, but not for the unadventurous who don't want to mingle with the locals. I was greeted everywhere with big smiles on friendly people and loved being there! I may even spend part of each year in the Phils after I retire, I enjoyed it so much! I stayed OUT of Manila, though...too much hassle and not my kinda place to hang out! If anybody wants some recommendations for a nice quiet place to stay with INEXPENSIVE prices, but an absolute paradise atmosphere, then give me a holler, because that's where I was! For Example: Puerto Galera area, $17.50 per night, w/REAL breakfast included, double occupancy, hand-carved furniture, balcony at stone seawall with coral reef teeming w/tropical fish and snorkeling within 25 meters from balcony, marble walk-in shower AND sunken bathtub, marble floors, guy climbs coconut tree outside of room to get your coconut for afternoon sipping, fridge(fully stocked with water, beer, sodas,juices) w/kitchenette in room, fresh chilled Mangos for breakfast from trees on property, lush tropical garden setting, etc...get the picture? And Panglao Island is also famous for its white fine sand beaches, its excellent diving and snorkeling with huge variety of marine life (diving with Manta Rays is a real trip!), etc. Trust me, I am sold on both these places!

So, there is a possibility that I MIGHT become a part-time ex-pat there in a few years, at least throughout the dry season part of the year. I can easily envision being there from just before Christmas thru May each year,then returning stateside for the rest of the year while the rainy season is doing its thing in the Phils!

I will be almost 54 at the end of this enlistment, with all debts paid off and a few thousand in the bank, so I will probably hang stateside for a few months while waiting to come back here as a contractor, then do that for a couple of years so that I can retire by age of 56 or so.

It seems as though the forums are taking care of themselves and easing the new folks to Klipsch into the folds, that is a good thing! I don't get much chance to visit the forum, but will do so whenever I can.

Carol (Clueless)is a blessing to me and my team here, and thanks to Klipsch and others too for all you have been doing for us over here!

Glad to hear you are doing well. Look at it this way you ahve sun and sand, something many of uys will be heading for this weekend, and they pay you too!3.gif

Had a brief visit to the Pillipines a few years ago and loved the people, and the country has many beautiful places. Sounds like a good plan.

However, don't leave you forum buddies in the lurch. Just think of all that lovely russian military gear rusting out up north with all those beautiful East German, Russian, and Check tubes in it. Time to head into Iraq and get us all some goodies. Hell, come to think of it find the junkyard they put all the stuff inside Kuwait after the first one and salvage us some sweet glowing tubes.

Good luck and check in from time to time.

Marty

It's really great hearing from you again, Andy. Glad your tour is going somewhat smoothly (please stay safe), and I'm glad to hear you just might stick it out another year (experienced soldiers are hard to come by anymore, and our military need all the career soldiers they can get, plus they're indispensible as morale boosters for new recruits away from their friends and family for the first time). Plus that monthly pension after you retire sounds really good, too!

Keep in touch when you can, and God speed.2.gif

----------------

On 7/1/2005 1:53:26 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

... w/REAL breakfast included, double occupancy, hand-carved furniture, balcony at stone seawall with coral reef teeming w/tropical fish and snorkeling within 25 meters from balcony, marble walk-in shower AND sunken bathtub, marble floors, guy climbs coconut tree outside of room to get your coconut for afternoon sipping, fridge(fully stocked with water, beer, sodas,juices) w/kitchenette in room, fresh chilled Mangos for breakfast from trees on property, lush tropical garden setting, etc...get the picture?

----------------

Yes, I do. After Kuwait, that would feel like paradise. 1.gif

----------------

On 7/1/2005 11:27:57 AM arfandbark wrote:

We send packages from our VFW post here in Perry, Michigan on a regular basis...

I'd love to send Andy a box from our post, Clueless.

Sincerely,

Arfandbark

Michael Browder, past commander, Sons of AMVETS Post 4064

VFW Post 4063

AMVETS Post 4064

601 N. Main Street

Perry, MI. 48872

(517)625-3154

----------------

arfandbark-

Here's Andy's address, he's posted in on the forum before, so I don't think he'll mind if I do so now.

SSG Andrew M. Barr

Det 3, 328th PSB

Camp Doha

APO-AE 09889

meowandpurr (cluless)

• 1 month later...

Just an update here. The operation I work in here in Kuwait just moved from Camp Doha to another location. We arrived the current location about three weeks ago, but we just now got internet capability at this site for this kind of use. My APO address has changed to the following:

SSG Andrew Barr

Det 3, 328th PSB

APO-AE 09815

This address should be good for me until sometime in late November/early December, when the unit I am in redeploys home. I will be staying here, but not likely at this location, for another year or so. Or at least I am trying to make that happen. I should know if I am "locked-in" here for another year in a few weeks.

I would like to thank Cluless and ArfandBark for the packages they sent about a month or so ago. They came in real handy and I gave out most of the items received to folks working in my section. Sorry it took me so long to respond on these packages, but between preparation for the move (packing all my stuff AND packing all the office stuff, moving it all during time between 12-hour shifts, setting it all up at the new location, and troubleshooting it all so that we could go operational here with no lull in performance) took up lots of my time giving me little sleep time or time for anything else for that matter.

When you are processing around 2000 to 5000 soldiers a day for deployment, redeployment, emergency leave, R&R leave, Into and out-of theater TDY, etc., you can't afford to have a lull in performance. You just gotta make it happen! I will try to check in on the forum more often from now on. Catch you all later!