How far do you sit from you speakers?

Nice thread - potentially very helpful.

So I hate to be the contrarian mathematician, but I notice that some of the configuations and measurements described here will have Pythagoras scratching his head. Some of you guys are just eyeballing the room and guessing at the distances aren't you?

Mathematical Paul

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread, but I have a question. I see a lot of folks are sitting what I assume is measured to be the distance back from the front wall, and that number seems to equal the distance between the speakers in many cases.

Is that where the sweet spot is supposed to be ?????2.gif

As you learn more and more about stereos, dont forget that most Klipsch models are not cone drivers, they are big ole horns. They are incredibly efficient, constant-directivity horn lens with compression drivers. It makes all the difference in the world. Like Honda CRX versus fuel dragsters. One is small, fun and has a lot of zip for the money, the other is a flat out performance machine dedicated to one task getting the music out fast and furious, but requiring special track and fuel.

Sure, the guy with cones sits equidistant from his loudspeakers, in a equal sided triangle he does not need to point the drivers directly at his ears, or the back of his head, for the best imaging.

Horn lovers though, sit in a isosceles triangle the sweet listening spot is 150% to double the distance between the loudspeakers

Also, the further you can move your speakers away from the front and side walls, the better the mid-bass, imaging and soundstage will be

10.gif

Horn lovers though, sit in a isosceles triangle the sweet listening spot is 150% to double the distance between the loudspeakers

Except for KHorns, where you sit closer than they are apart, since they sit at 45 degree.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 12:36:03 PM PrestonTom wrote:

K-Horns 18 ft apart

chair is 9-10 back

Thus forming and isosceles triangle (and about 2-3 ft in front of the back wall to minimize the "slap-back")

----------------

This is the FIRST K-horn user reporting a proper setup. I know not ALL of you have your K-horns improperly setup, but it seems that the majority do. For example, I know from his pictures that Parrot has his setup correctly and I'm sure there are many others. But I'm surprised by how many of you aren't even CLOSE to getting a proper stereo image.

And what's with Colterphoto laying on the ground? Are you people insane?

With respect to K-horns, think about it. The speakers sit in the corners, pointing at a 45 degree angle into the room. If the speakers are 14 feet apart, guess where the sweet spot is?...7 feet. (Actually, it's a little closer when you consider that the front of the drivers are actually about a foot from the side walls, so your speakers wouldn't really be 14 feet apart, but rather 12 feet.) So you would, effectivly, be sitting 7 feet from the front wall, but about 5 feet from the front of the speakers. Of course, at this distance, the squawker and tweeters are firing over your head (unless you're sitting on a bar stool) and you're not getting a very nicely blended stereo image anyway.

I contend that K-horns absolutely REQUIRE false corners in any room narrower than 18-20 feet. You absolutely MUST sit 9-10 feet away from them in order to get a cohesively blended sound from the drivers. If your room is narrower than 18 feet, you'll be sitting too close to the speakers unless you can "toe them out" and aim the drivers at or slightly behind your listening position.

End rant.

----------------

On 7/21/2005 9:54:38 PM garymd wrote:

Khorns (13ft apart) - about 8 ft.

----------------

?????? I guess I could move up to 6 1/2' but this seems to work pretty well.

Once I build my music room, I will have them about 20' apart with my sweetspot in the 10' to 12' range. I tend to sit forward when I do my serious listening anyway, almost always with eyes closed.

12" 'horns are 27 feet apart. Therefore, I had to add a cornie in the center to augment the imaging...which is perfect if I could sit on the counter in the master bathroom about two feet back from where I have to sit due to the pesky wall.

Next listening room will be BUILT or BOUGHT TO SPEC for 'horns. That is about the only place I could REALLY use an upgrade.

Dave

Due to my room limitations, my Cornwalls are 2 feet from the front wall, next to the side walls and turned at about a 40 deg angle into the center of the room, 12 feet from outside to outside. I sit about 6 to 7 feet from the front of the speakers, centered.

The HT, Forte 1s 12" from the front wall, 10 feet apart turned to the center of the room by about 15 deg. 5 feet from the side walls. Viewing position is centered on speakers, 12 feet back.

K-Horns 18 ft apart

chair is 9-10 back

Thus forming and isosceles triangle (and about 2-3 ft in front of the back wall to minimize the "slap-back")

Whoops, I forgot to mention that I also use a center channel cabinet (summed L+R) to fill in the image (or else that pesky "hole in the middle"). It does not need to be turned up much, but it does make a difference

-Tom

I must admit, due to the big screen tv, I sit back further than I SHOULD for music alone. That's so I don't see the little dots on the screen...

Since I watch TV more than I listen to music, it seemed ok at the time, but now I hate myself and just want to die.

DM9.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2005 3:46:59 PM PrestonTom wrote:

K-Horns 18 ft apart

chair is 9-10 back

Whoops, I forgot to mention that I also use a center channel cabinet (summed L+R) to fill in the image (or else that pesky "hole in the middle"). It does not need to be turned up much, but it does make a difference

That's strange... Mine are 18" apart and I sit with them aiming at me. There's no center hole. In fact, on solo vocal recordings, it appears like the sound is coming from my center speaker, sitting on top of my TV... I consistently fool my friends, it's not playing at all.