You've seen the museum...now it's for sale!!

sunnysal

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's normal behavior for a collector. You collect until you complete your collection (not that an audio collection can really be complete) or until you're satisfied with your collection, then you sell it. Then you start collecting something else.

If I had the cash and collected audio gear, I still wouldn't buy this collection in one swoop. A lot of the fun in collecting anything is in finding and acquiring just the right piece. It would be zero fun to get a collection all at once just by laying out a big lump sum of money.

I think this is going to be hard to find one buyer for.

Where's the full listing? I know nothing about all those wooden radio's in the pictures. I would like to get a hold of that Fisher Badge on the SA-100 tube cage. I can never find one of those damn things. Were there any Brook amps in there? I saw a lot of Mac and HK Citation stuff. Cool collection.

I am still trying to calcualte retail value but so far I have about $350,000 counted up between audio components, antique radios, speakers and tubes. He has real mint quality stuff there and if someone took their time on ebay and audiogon selling off this stuff I am sure $175,000 would be a steal for the whole lot. It could be a business, buy it up and sell off most to keep the faves...or so I am thinking. I agree with parrot that collecting is about the process and this collection certainly represents one man´s taste. BUT if one just picked the cherries among the Scott, Fisher, McIntosh, Marantz, Pilot, Dynaco, Eico and Heathkit and sold off the rest....well just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. regards, tony

Tony,

When you say "sell stock," do you mean sell some of your own investments, or do you mean sell stocks in a new company you would form in purchasing and selling this collection? I could see either one making sense...

Where do you find the list?

My thoughts are that it would be easy money. Even if you took out a loan for the bulk of it and it truely could be parted out for twice or three times the amount, Just selling one piece of the mac stuff a month would pay the bill. That would give you plenty of time to use and tinker with most all of it, then get busy on ebay. It would all sell quickly and for a nice price. Problem is, I only have 2 cents.9.gif

if I had the means, I would buy the lot this minute . . .

While I agree completily with Parrot with regards to "Collectors and their Collecting", I would consider finding the right buyer to purchase each item in the collection to be a very satisfying way to be envolved in the audio gear hobby . . . pretty much self suffient as well!!

I think the biggest issue would be the large $$$ associated with insuring, packaging, shipping and subsequent storage. Individual packing & shipment would not be cost effective. Items would have to be consolidated in crates or containers.

The logistics and costs involved in the movement of such an extensive collection is considerable.