Was the la scala ever ment for home?

I think that you are seeing a couple of things - the LaScala was never made to be pretty in the living room and it was built to fit in most any part of a larger venue.

All said you could get a tough old speaker - hang it from the ceiling, cart it around to different venues and paint it 20 times if you need to. Sound wise I think you will get a bunch of folks that prefer it to the Belle - it will just never be as pretty - even when dressed to the nines....

Mr. Paul designed it for the purpose of providing a PA speaker for (Republican) Winthrop Rockefeller's campaign for govenor of Arkansas in the 60's.* I don't know if he ever "intended" it for home use. He did build the Belle as a center channel match for the Khorns. I think it would probably be a fair guess that he sold the Belle and LaScalas as "mains" to meet public demand... but that he thought (except for center channel duty) they were compromised for home use, relative to Khorns.

Dressed to the nines, they do look pretty good in their own right. Not Belle cosmetics, but pretty good in an aggressive male appreciating way. I also agree that they "should" get the nod to Belle on sound with the slightly more optimal horn and crossover on LaScala. I'd be interested to know if anyone can actually "hear" that difference. Mr. Paul had IMO uncanny hearing with the ability to trace frequency response that would match instrument measure quite impressively. If he found the Belle as a satisfactory match to Khorns as a center it would be pretty close to LaScala. It is my understanding that he eventually came to consider Heresy and Cornwall as unsatisfactory matches for Khorn center duty, noting that the non-horn loaded bass in the center added too much distortion.

*Rockefeller did eventually defeat Orval Faubus. You will remember him for ordering the Ark. National Guard to "protect" Little Rock Central High School from being attended by less than a dozen black students. This sorry action was trumped by POTUS taking over command of the ARNG and ordering the 101st Airborne into Little Rock to secure the peace.

Edit by Trey...,}

I've seen a couple Lascalas that "almost" rival the Belle. The oak sets that Greg Roberts veneered and the cherry pair that are currently for sale here on the forum (look in yesterday's threads).

In most of the brochures I've seen for Klipsch speakers, there always seems to be a guitar leaning up against the lascala, even in a home setting. I assume they primarily intended to market them for commercial use of some kind or another.

Originally however, didn't PWK design it as a center channel between Khorns but his wife hated the look, hence the "Belle" was made?

Gary,

As Dee stated it was originally designed for Rockefeller's campaign. The story I heard is that he then took one home to use as a center. His wife thought it was too big (depth) so he designed the "Belle". Along with being prettier and shallower, naming it after her probably aided it's WAF in that case.

----------------

On 8/1/2005 8:48:44 AM Daddy Dee wrote:

Mr. Paul designed it for the purpose of providing a PA speaker for (
Republican
) Winthrop Rockefeller's campaign for govenor of Arkansas in the 60's.* I don't know if he ever "intended" it for home use. He did build the Belle as a center channel match for the Khorns. I think it would probably be a fair guess that he sold the Belle and LaScalas as "mains" to meet public demand... but that he thought (except for center channel duty) they were compromised for home use, relative to Khorns.

Dressed to the nines, they do look pretty good in their own right. Not Belle cosmetics, but pretty good in an aggressive male appreciating way. I also agree that they "should" get the nod to Belle on sound with the slightly more optimal horn and crossover on LaScala. I'd be interested to know if anyone can actually "hear" that difference. Mr. Paul had IMO uncanny hearing with the ability to trace frequency response that would match instrument measure quite impressively. If he found the Belle as a satisfactory match to Khorns as a center it would be pretty close to LaScala. It is my understanding that he eventually came to consider Heresy and Cornwall as unsatisfactory matches for Khorn center duty, noting that the non-horn loaded bass in the center added too much distortion.

*Rockefeller did eventually defeat Orval Faubus. You will remember him for ordering the Ark. National Guard to "protect" Little Rock Central High School from being attended by less than a dozen black students. This sorry action was trumped by POTUS taking over command of the ARNG and ordering the 101st Airborne into Little Rock to secure the peace.

Edit by Trey...,}

----------------

I thought the Belles were built for people who did not have good corners but still wanted a speaker as good as the khorns ? ?

A friend played in a band at the Rockefellers Winrock Farm out by Petit Jean years ago he said it was his favorite place to play because it was a complete klipsch system. I wish I had asked him what it was at the time.

It is really sad that Winn Rockefeller dropped out of the race for governor due to an illness. He is one of the few republicans I would vote for a great man and a great family who has done so much for Arkansas. I really wish he was still in the running. Oh well our loss.

----------------

On 8/1/2005 8:38:40 AM DeanG wrote:

...it will just never be as pretty - even when dressed to the nines...

You may have to issue a retraction.
----------------

Nah Dean - at least not to my eye. I really have seen some very pretty La Scalas, but the Belle has such a rich look that I am quite taken.

I am also with Tom - I really have a hard time differentiating the two except that the scala's narrow footprint lets it near a corner without taking up tons of space and even with the folded horn it gets a bit of boost on the bass.

I worked with Gov. Rockefeller's Council on Human Relations and got to meet him in 1972 (he was trying to recover from Chemo). Great man in my opinion. This was a time when compassionate conservative was the nature of the Republican party and he was one of the best. I still manage to his 'do the right thing' attitude and his strong respect for the constitution.

While I stayed pretty much the same, the political parties changed and I had to move from the Republican ranks3.gif

----------------

On 8/1/2005 10:28:59 PM hwatkins wrote:

----------------

----------------

Nah Dean - at least not to my eye.

----------------

As Dean said, you may have to issue a retraction.... soon.

----------------

On 8/2/2005 1:54:30 AM edwinr wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

Ok - I have to admit that I am only referencing 'to date'. I will gladly retract if the eye says so (and I would be glad to do so).

----------------

I worked with Gov. Rockefeller's Council on Human Relations and got to meet him in 1972 (he was trying to recover from Chemo). Great man in my opinion. This was a time when compassionate conservative was the nature of the Republican party and he was one of the best. I still manage to his 'do the right thing' attitude and his strong respect for the constitution.

----------------

In his last days as govenor of Arkansas, Win Rockefeller commuted the death sentences (changed to life in prison) of every prisoner on death row. This was ahead of the moratorium on the death penalty, of course, no longer in force.

----------------

On 8/2/2005 1:54:30 AM edwinr wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

Putting lipstick on a pig.

DM