How do you deql with neighbors?

jnorv

----------------

On 8/15/2005 10:12:28 AM formica wrote:

----------------

On 8/15/2005 5:11:33 AM Speedball wrote:

Everybodys house is stone and their windows are closed with the A/C running plus they are old and hard of hearing. So I'm pretty free to run it loud but that isnt very often.

----------------

I live in a detached home... and most people in a similar situation shouldn't have any problem IF your windows are closed. Sound loss through thermally insulated exterior walls is pretty high... added to the distance it travels to the neighbours home is pretty safe. I can listen to it a concert levels, at night, without a problem.

Living in an apartment, attached home, condo, etc... is an entirely different story... as it'll depend on the buildings construction. High volumes are not recommended.

Rob

----------------

I agree Rob. Can crank at will in my detached home, despite having homes on both sides. Several times I have gone outside to check on how sound is traveling. Nada except for a faint rumble if you are standing on my property. Of course, it helps to have the primary system in the basement, with plenty of sound-stopping stuff.

Carl.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure stone or brick homes are pretty soundproof with the windows closed. Any day just outside the door local interstate traffic creates 70 decibles. Even with the stereo volume cranked up very loud with the windows open it can hardly be heard 20' from the house.

I have had the old cranky guy next door over for watching Blackhawk Down and I did crank up the volume so he could understand what home theatre is all about.

Now if I get a Pro amp to light those 7's up the whole story may change.

Huh? Your wife lives next door? Do you live in Colorado City?

I try not to provoke my neighbors, much less girlfriend, wife, or God forbid ex-wife. Makes life a lot more pleasant. The times I do crank my system, it ends at a reasonable hour. Never had a complaint.

----------------

On 8/14/2005 11:37:45 PM Allan Songer wrote:

It's just plain rude to crank a stereo at 100 db if you live in an urban or suburban environment with close-by neighbors.

Then again, when I do it it's always in the middle of the afternoon and for short bursts!
2.gif

Do it for 10-15 minutes and then back off and you won't seriously piss anyone off.

Otherwise your just asking for ANGRY neighbors.

----------------

Ditto. Don't be rude, there are other people you must consider. If you truely listen at 100db, you should seriously consider moving to the woods and scaring the crap out of the deer and small fury critters.

If I was your neighbor, you definitely wouldn't like me. I'm outspoken and wouldn't put up with that crap. Sorry.

If it's really clean, and you have lot's of headroom, 100dB doesn't sound as "loud" as some of you are making it sound like. Hey, if I can still hear the kids bickering downstairs it can't be THAT bad. Still, I'm with Allan here. Two or three songs at the most, then turn it down for the sake of your neighbors and your hearing.

----------------

On 8/16/2005 10:06:34 PM DeanG wrote:

If it's really clean, and you have lot's of headroom, 100dB doesn't sound as "loud" as some of you are making it sound like.

----------------

I'm with Dean on this one... a clean 100db isn't that loud. Even more so if you have a sub...

Rob

"It's just plain rude to crank a stereo at 100 db if you live in an urban or suburban environment with close-by neighbors." -Allan Songer

I agree 100% with Allan on this one.

Call me crazy, but I actually adhere to the old adage of doing onto others as you'd have done to you. I certainly wouldn't want to hear somebody else's system at that volume so why would I subject them to mine???

-H2G