Belle's, It's almost criminal!!!

Bonzo

My UPS guy is my friend and a die hard since the late 70's. Every year

he gets in a pool of some sort right at the begining of the year before

the season starts. He put in 60 bucks and if Pittsburg wins he gets

something like 1,200 bucks. He's nervous as hell also.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" One of the Finest speaker ever made " ..... thats a strech

Even PWK could not understand why anyone would want a PA speaker in there home ... the LaScala was designed as a PA and the Belle is just a LaScala wearing a suit ....

Please elaborate on this foolish statement, if you don't mind.

Mike

I think hes just lying about the $1100 to see if you would offer any higher, or if not... wow, whos willing to pay $1100???

That's what I thought also. By the looks of your avatar I know what you'll be doing this sunday!

[:D]

If I were any more nervous about waiting for sunday I'd have to purchase diapers... I've got no nails left on any of my fingers... I keep looking at that rack of ribs Ive been saving up with an appetite unmatched ....need I say more?

Would you believe I am a closet Steeler fan,LOL..not really!

I do hope Pitt. wins it,like thier smashmouth style of play!...wish Oakland had that D.

Greg

" One of the Finest speaker ever made " ..... thats a strech

Even PWK could not understand why anyone would want a PA speaker in there home ... the LaScala was designed as a PA and the Belle is just a LaScala wearing a suit ....

Please elaborate on this foolish statement, if you don't mind.

Mike

What exactly would you like me to elaborate on ....

Is there some part of klipsch's history you have missed researching ?

The lascala " was " designed as a PA .... period !!

PWK brought one home to use as a center and his wife thought it looked ugly so he build a nicer cabinet and named the speaker after her ... " belle "

Whats so hard to understand about this so far ?

PWK was mift at it's success as a home speaker ... yet continued to build them as long as people were willing to buy them .

I fail to see what the attraction is to the belle ... it's just not that great ...

I have 4 klipschorns 2 lascalas 1 belle and 2 cornwalls ...... 3 klipsch subs and a C7 center channel ... plus a pair of heresy in my garage

I've had over 30 SS amps through the years and been experimenting with Tube amps for the past 4 years , both SET and PP ,so i have a pretty good idea what sounds good with klipsch and what does not .....

If there is something i've missed in the past 28 years of owning klipsch speakers please feel free to fill me in ...

I'm all ears ?

Please go to page 6 of the attached interview of PWK by Bruce Edgar (previously posted by BEC).

The La Scala was NOT designed to be a PA speaker. It was designed to play music.

Nevertheless, PWK was surprised (rather than "mift" or miffed) that people used them as primary speakers. To PWK's way of thinking, the Klipschorn was the only primary speaker that Klipsch built. Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala and Belle were intended as center speakers between two Klipschorns.

Edgar%20Interview%20of%20PWK[1].pdf

I owned Belles for a few months--I really wanted to like them more than my Cornwalls. I bought them from a frat house over by USC and they were BEAT ($250). I had my shop do a complete restoration on them, installed new cane grilles, reubuilt the tweeters (both blown), reconed both woofers (both effed up) and rewired them (this was in the early 90's before I even conisdered alternate crossover networks).

I took them home and hooked them up where my Cornwalls had been sitting and didn't really like what I was hearing. I kept listeniing for several weeks and when I put the Cornwalls back in I was blown away by how much better they sounded to me. I sold the Belles for $700.

You have to remember that I listen to acoustic jazz 99% of the time--the Belle might well be a great speaker for rock or symphonic music, but for what I was listening to it sounded anemic in the lower registers--even at fairly high volume--and there was a certain lack of coherence that was lacking when compared with the Cornwall.

But that's just my opinion.

No, it sounds like it was inspired by what PWK saw of some crappy speakers playing at an outdoor concert. And so......???? Maybe he designed LS's to replace those at outdoor concerts. Maybe he designed them to have qualities he figured worked well with home stereo, too. Maybe what he saw at the outdoor concert inspired him to make something that worked with home stereo that would sound like an even better outdoor concert. The story is incomplete based on these couple of sentences alone. There's no point in going down this road.

I've don't quote other forum members very often but in this case i will quote a little piece that andy ( HDBR builder ) wrote considering he worked for klipsch during the golden years ...

" The belle klipsch was never designed to be a stand alone speaker to begin with . It was designed to be a more aesthetically pleaseing version of the lascala for use between a pair of k-horns in PWK's home . Thas the whole thing in a nutshell.

PWK designed the lascala for use by Winthrop Rockerfeller on a flat trailer while he was stumping the state of arkansas on his gubernational campaigns ....etc etc etc

Rockerfeller had klipschorns in his home and liked the way they reproduced his baritone voice , so he asked PWK to come up with something he could take around the state that was smaller , did his voice justice , and did not need a corner to complete its bass horn . That was the design paramater of the lascala .... "

I don't know about the rest of you .. but , to me .. that sounds alot like a PA speaker !!

Aside from misquoting PWK, let's see.... Hmmmmm. Thinking.......

Teflon was invented for use on spaceships, but it seems to have been great for pots and pans.

Cat litter was not designed to soak up fluid spills from cars in driveways.

The internet was designed for military defense.

And don't forget, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups were the result of a freak collision between 1 kid with a chocolate bar and another with a jar of peanut butter! [:P]

I think the intent of PWK is marginally relevant, regardless of how accurately or inaccurately he is quoted. If they work well with stereo at a price of $3,000 less than KHorns, that ought to be quite enough reason for many folks to use LaScalas and like them. No matter what, they are better than Bose and alot of other so-called high-end speakers.

You guys! 40% admit to Schaddenfreude. 5% listen to rap. And 10% don't have KHorns and were only told about the horrific inferiority of LaScalas.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/676409/ShowPost.aspx

That's 55% who either don't know for themselves why LaScalas allegedly can't do enough bass, listen to the WRONG kind of music ([;)]) or love the thrill they get by trying to excite and depress LaScala owners. Of this group, the vast majority admit to having a mild to moderate inferiority complex.

As for the other 45% (who sail the KHorn flagship), come down off the mountaintop. Okay, your KHorns are the flagship - as if nobody knew. You don't have to beat "Number 2" to death to be proud of your KHorns.

Bob : Yes i have that article as well ... and i'm aware of what it's contents say and take it at the value i consider it was met for back in the day ..

My quote was from andy who worked at klipsch ... not paul klipsch himself , sometimes insider information is more correct then what is published and sometimes not ,one has to sift through it all and make up ones own mind ..

Jeff : your thoughts are not worth the key strokes to respond to .. if you find a need to wear your emotions on your sleeve instead of engaging in an adult discission on the facts stated in the press and by past klipsch staff members the n so be it but don't bother baiting me with your rockie crap ...

You make yourself look like a fool infront of the entire class making post such as this ..

Design paramiters is what it comes down to ... if you can comprimise not having the bass extention supplied by the k-horn then the other breads will surfice for your application ...

I never came out and said there was anything wrong with the lascala or the belle .. i simply stated the belle was not one of the best speakers ever made ... I own both , does that not say anything to the " rockie " who can't read between the lines .

Hmmmmm 4 klipschorns 2 lascalas 1 belle 2 cornwalls and 2 heresy .. plus a ton of klipsch HT gear ... yup jeff ... i'm here just to slam your klipsch gear ..funny how a single comment can be taken as a personal attack on your beloved klipsch or even warrent a sarcastic responce such as the two i have been give on this thread so far .

Watch out for that tree while your walking around with those blinder on ...

Regardless of what they were designed for, or how they are used, or how much damn bass they don't have they are still commanding an average of $2600 a pair and that suits me just fine.

Perhaps now is a good time to sell and buy a pair of Cornwall III's for $3K to replace them.

Anyone want some nice elegant PA speakers? Great for Karaoke! I suppose they would make good PC speakers too. [:)]

Bob : Yes i have that article as well ... and i'm aware of what it's contents say and take it at the value i consider it was met for back in the day ..

My quote was from andy who worked at klipsch ... not paul klipsch himself , sometimes insider information is more correct then what is published and sometimes not ,one has to sift through it all and make up ones own mind ..

Jeff : your thoughts are not worth the key strokes to respond to .. if you find a need to wear your emotions on your sleeve instead of engaging in an adult discission on the facts stated in the press and by past klipsch staff members the n so be it but don't bother baiting me with your rockie crap ...

You make yourself look like a fool infront of the entire class making post such as this ..

Design paramiters is what it comes down to ... if you can comprimise not having the bass extention supplied by the k-horn then the other breads will surfice for your application ...

I never came out and said there was anything wrong with the lascala or the belle .. i simply stated the belle was not one of the best speakers ever made ... I own both , does that not say anything to the " rockie " who can't read between the lines .

Hmmmmm 4 klipschorns 2 lascalas 1 belle 2 cornwalls and 2 heresy .. plus a ton of klipsch HT gear ... yup jeff ... i'm here just to slam your klipsch gear ..funny how a single comment can be taken as a personal attack on your beloved klipsch or even warrent a sarcastic responce such as the two i have been give on this thread so far .

Watch out for that tree while your walking around with those blinder on ...

Jeff

Is your nickname "Rockie" and you did not tell me or did he mean Rookie?