64 Khorns From My SanDiego Run....

Gilbert

Yes Gary, their in my cluttered home office area, together with 2 Indust. Heresy's and the 2 Decorator Cornwalls that FedEx customized.

The 64's were located on the audiogon forum, and were called to my attention by frzinvt (my brother in law, CB). I called the owner in SanDiego, and he was quite colorful over the phone. Every other word out of his mouth was a 4 letter word, which is fine with me, since I'm kinda sorta the same way, but with a little bit a polish. Needless to say, I hit it off with him, and I decided it was time for a WestCoast road trip and a new pair of Khorns. The guy even had the boxes, but they were a bit deteriorated, and not worth dragging home with me.

The Khorns fit easily in my rented Toyota Sienna, and I could have still put in a pair of cornwalls and an 18"sub with room left over. The trip was long, but I broke up the manotny by doing a little sight seeing. I really enjoyed the Petrified Forest in AZ, as well as the painted Desert. What made it especially nice that I had the whole place to myself. It was the off season, and a weekday, so there were very few people there. I saw 3 other cars the whole time I was there.

Scott,

They aren't finished because I am strongly considering modifying them with AL's trachorn, es-xovers and dropping in a pair of JBL 2404H. But I'd sure like to give a listen to a pair, before I take the plunge. This particular pair of khorns will be mated for life to my BB Xtreme (at Marks right now), and my future Supreme Xtreme VRD's that Craig is building. Apache junction was also nice. I stocked up on some indian artifacts (bought a War Club, Peace Pipe, Blanket making tool, and some beautifully cut slabs of Peterified wood. It all fit inside the minivan.

The grill cloth is unusual. It's a very fine weave cane cloth, with gold leaf stincil wrapped around the horizontal cane threads. Just beautiful, the photo doesn't do them justice. Keep in mind that these are original's from 1964. The only thing done to them (which bugs the crap out me) was that they were stained on the back sides. I sanded out most of the stain, but there's still a little bit within the horn enclosure. Other than that, they are untouched for nearly 42years. All edges nice and sharp, and not 1 ding, dent or scratch could I find on them, NOT A SINGLE ONE.

post-12381-13819284065834_thumb.jpg

Gilbert,

Great score.

Don't mod until you have listened for awhile.

I have had my 78 Khorns since July and I now know what they sound like and am thinking about upgrading.

How many hours did this trip take?

Now if we can just find a pair of Belles as beautiful as your new speakers that we could split.

Danny

This particular pair of khorns will be mated for life to my BB Xtreme (at Marks right now), and my future Supreme Xtreme VRD's that Craig is building.

Gilbert it might be a good idea not to use that exact name for your VRD's we better rattle are brains and think of something else. I would hate to infringe on Mark's great naming scheme he definitely has a wonderful knack for it.

Great looking Khorn!! Sounds like the trip to get them was a joy also.

Craig

This particular pair of khorns will be mated for life to my BB Xtreme (at Marks right now), and my future Supreme Xtreme VRD's that Craig is building.

Gilbert it might be a good idea not to use that exact name for your VRD's we better rattle are brains and think of something else. I would hate to infringe on Mark's great naming scheme he definitely has a wonderful knack for it.

Great looking Khorn!! Sounds like the trip to get them was a joy also.

Craig

What are these? Another one off? Please tell. Do I have to break my piggy again? [;)]

Now this is a great story! Enjoyed it very much with my coffee in the morning. It's freezing and the sun is shining. A great adventure that will stick in my mind for the rest of the day. I spent a long time in San Diego, now I am missing the place and my friends there.

BTW, whatever you do to those beauties, be sure you can make them all original again. Even if you don't, I'm sure it is a reassuring thought, to be able to.

Take care.

Gilbert,

I can vouch for how beautiful they are. I bought a pair of '64 Khorns in the fall of 2004--everyone has heard the story. They look just like yours. In my mind they are better looking than the new ones I bought in '91. You did well for yourself. I know this isn't profound and it probably sounds trite, but Khorns are such beautiful pieces of sculpture. In addition to loving the sound that comes out of them, there are times when I stand with my chin in my hand--no music playing--and just stare and ponder them like I would any other piece of great art.

Danny, the trip was spread out over almost 3 days. I didn't push it at all. I actually wanted to hang out near LA or check out the beach for a solid day or maybe 2. But when I hit the expressway 5 or 6 lanes (1 Direction!!, Geeeeeeezze), back up solid, I said %&!@* that shissskabob, I want out! So I made an about face and headed straight for the open desert.

Sorry Wayne, I completely forgot. But after that highway scene, I tucked tail and ran. Man, I could never live with all the concrete and asphalt. Give me the country baby, set me free.

Oh, by the way, the guy that sold me the speakers ($2000), gave me so much fruit, man!, it was delicious stuff. Tangerienes, Clementines, Oranges and Limes. Man!!! I tell you, I was in heaven with all that tasty fruit. Shoot, I left a solid trail of citrus peeling all the way home. He was such a nice fellow, and when I first met him I though dammn, this guy sure looks like Captain Ron, from the movie of the same name, played by Kurt Douglas. Just exactly the same, but without the eye patch.[:D]

See ya guys!!

Other than that, they are untouched for nearly 42years. All edges nice and sharp, and not 1 ding, dent or scratch could I find on them, NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Unbelievable!

A picture is worth a thousand words Paul. I merely hit them with 600grit on the veneer side, and 180grit on the back sides so that I could remove the stain.

I think the fact that the guy kept the 42 years old cardboard boxes, speaks for itself.