Too embaressed to admit to...

Ray Garrison

I was driving home from work, and WPLR's dj made some dismissive remark about N*SYNC. I found myself thinking "Hey! I Like those guys!" Bye Bye Bye is a Great song cranked loudly enough...

Started me thinking. What other songs / groups do I enjoy that would get me laughed out of the next "serious audiophiles" watering hole gathering? I like "I Ran" by a Flock of Seagulls, and "Election Day" by Arcadia...

Any other brave souls out there?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What other songs / groups do I enjoy that would get me laughed out of the next "serious audiophiles" watering hole gathering?"

75% of my collection?[;)]

There's a couple I would like to try. The first would be the Grateful Dead's "Greyfolded", a 70+ minute "montage/spliced" version of numerous live "Dark Star" performances edited into ONE LARGE VERSION......a sort of "shock treatment", if you will[:D]

Then once they are sufficiently dazed from that one, I would move on to The String Cheese Incident's encore performance July 9, 2001 at Council Bluffs, IA. It is a serious piece of live music - the kind of stuff that puts me where Bach and Beethoven put their listeners:

"Round The Wheel > So What > Round The Wheel"

There are LOTS of songs I can think of that would just shock and offend (Guns and Roses "Mr. Brownstone" comes to mind, hehe), but the first two choices serve as a musical education, and are not simply chosen for shock value alone. Those audiophiles might actually LIKE this......

I like Duran, Duran, Flock of Seagulls, and Aldo Nova! I also like Oingo Boingo, B52's, Bow Wow Wow, Box of Frogs, The Original Mirrors, Gary Numan, 999, Icehouse, Budgie, Legs Diamond, Kix, Crystal Waters, and a bunch of other kind of obscure bands.

I also like some of the newer stuff like Eminem, Kanye West, and the BlackEyed Peas.

Viva Variety!

"What other songs / groups do I enjoy that would get me laughed out of the next "serious audiophiles" watering hole gathering?"

75% of my collection?[;)]

There's a couple I would like to try. The first would be the Grateful Dead's "Greyfolded", a 70+ minute "montage/spliced" version of numerous live "Dark Star" performances edited into ONE LARGE VERSION......a sort of "shock treatment", if you will[:D]

Hey Audible,

Where can I find a copy of that? Sounds like something I'd like to hear at least once!

Have you ever heard the original version of Dark Star? It was the Dead's first single but never made it to an album. After hearing all those 30+ minute live versions over the years, it's difficult to imagine a little 3 minute studio version. It's actually very cool.

Gulp..........Anita Baker-Sweet Love

Gloria Estefan-Words Get in the Way

Michael Jackson-I Just Can't Stop Loving You

Ouch!

For me, I sometimes throw on a Carpenters album and I like quite a few musicals. I also really like the jazz versions of musicals that Shelly Manne recorded. My Fair Lady and West Side Story are both great.

That reminds me of a time about 15 years ago. My cousing and I were pretty much die-hard, old-school rockers, and we'd always criticize the hand-banging crap that the younger people were listening to. We both heard Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time as we were watching MTV. We sat the the whole thing in silence, and at the end, there was this prolonged pause......

I forgot who spoke up first, but one of us said "You know, that was pretty good." And then, we both agreed and laughed our tails off for actually liking it.

Don't even get me started here... I grew up with standards... 40's music Sinatra type GREAT singrs.... My parents were in HS and college in the 50's.... great dew whop and wonderful harmonies... The 60's when I was litte was not a huge era in our house... with some exceptions.. (motown good music) The 70's started it all over again as kids and bubble gum rockers and one hit wonders... Musicals and symphonies. On to the 80's one hit wonders.... Then MTV hit when I was a sophmore in College... OMG my life just stood still. Every band on MTV mattered those first 2-3 years,,,,,, (it does not even resemble the same MTV I know today sad to say...)

Add to that I love it all..... and sing Karaoke.. I think almost everything I own LOL most would cringe! But let's face it, nothing better than screaming out white wedding in your car like Billy Idol, even if you do get caught doing it , who cares!!!!!!

Now one band no one knows I really connected with...???

THE PRODUCERS.... The song..Shelia,, They should of really really been famous IMO.