Album Cover of the Day!

Allan Songer

SunRa.jpg

This cover is a view of one of the moons of Saturn taken from about 300 space miles up.

Jazz in Sihouette is my favorite Sun Ra record and I think it is one of the greatest mid-size ensemble jazz albums of all time. Truly a MONUMENTAL recording!!! Recorded in Chicago in 1957.

Available on CD with the original cover art. There was also an Impulse LP reissue back in the 70's with different cover art.

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=008515701020006900&cid=600111

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of Sun Ra's album covers are primitave and "ugly." Toward the end, the Arkestra used blank, white covers and marked them up with crayons and magic markers--each one was different.

I think it's REALLY cool.

This is one of the most BIZARRE LP covers of them all and it's really early.

But the MUSIC!! One of the greatest jazz albums of all time, this one!!!!

Get the Impulse reissue. The original Saturns are pretty lousy pressings MOST of the time (mine is a bit crackly, but still pretty nice) and are REALLY scarce and $$$$$.

The Impulse issue sells for about $20-$30 in NM condition on ebay and one turns up every few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sun Ra was at one of the Chicago Jazz Fests just before his passing and the Arkestra did it on that night - I would give anything for a recording of that night - they hit that magic where it swings... MAN - it was something else - one of the greatest live music expereinces I've had the pleasure to hear.

Sun Ra was at one of the Chicago Jazz Fests just before his passing and the Arkestra did it on that night - I would give anything for a recording of that night - they hit that magic where it swings... MAN - it was something else - one of the greatest live music expereinces I've had the pleasure to hear.

When the Arkestra was in a groove is was both a sight and a sound to behold!