K-horn crossover breakdown

tgourlie

After doing some searches here on the site, I have found numerous posts about ALK's, AK-2's, AK-3's. The only problem I am having is finding out what comes stock depending on what year they are.

Also With different crossover designs, are they also accounting for different drivers.

Thanks for any clarification you could give to me.

TG

Type A until about 1971.

Type AA until about 1979

Type AK and AK-2 (Crossover dark ages) from about 1980 to sometime in the late 80s)

Type AK-3 late 80s to 2003

Type AK-4 2003 to present

Bob

Almost no difference. The AL-3 has added tweeter protection (polyswitch) and the value of the woofer capacitor is higher than on the AK-3. They are so close as to be interchangable as far as the circuit goes. The look very different because the AK-3 is split up into a mid/tweet board and has the woofer components mounted inside the woofer door. The AL-3 has everthing on the single board.

Bob Crites

Type A until about 1971. Type AA until about 1979 Type AK and AK-2 (Crossover dark ages) from about 1980 to sometime in the late 80s) Type AK-3 late 80s to 2003 Type AK-4 2003 to present Bob

Small correction: I have 1982 K-Horns ("x" in the serial number). The crossover was still an "AA" then.

I think the AK series started in 1983

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom,

Some AAs show up all through the 80s, more often in the Lascala than in the Khorns. I have never figured it out as to what crossover to expect in the Heritage of the 80s. I am pretty sure some Khorns used AKs before 1982, but who knows, they could have been "upgrades"

Bob

I have a Klipsch Type AA schematic that says,"Used until 1983". This corresponds to the move from the K-55-V to the K-55-M and Type AK, AL, and AB networks -- late 1983.

"I am pretty sure some Khorns used AKs before 1982, but who knows, they could have been "upgrades".

If from the factory, would have been supplied with a pair of K-55-M's.

My La Scalas are '81 and '82 models that got mismatched. The '81

had a solder terminal K-55-V and a Type AA crossover. The '82 had

a Type AL and a K-55-M squawker. Someone in Hope (pre-Trey) told

me that was correct and '82 marked the change to -Ms and Type

ALs.

Both now have Type AAs (or ALKs) and solderterminal K-55-Vs.

• 2 weeks later...