Two armed Thorens TD-124

Allan Songer

Well, I've got the second arm mounted and playing records. It was a bear to dial in, but I think I've got it 90% of the way there. Edmond dropped by for a few hours yesterday and we played lots of records--stereo and mono and it was really great to be able to switch back and forth between the stereo cartrdige (an SPU GT on the Ikeda) and the mono (CGI 25) on the SME.

Sorry for the lousy pics--there were taken with a cheap camera phone.

twoarm1.jpgtwoarm2.jpg

My preamp has two sets of phono jacks--so no problem. The mono runs through the Jorgen Schou transformers and the SPU has a tranformer built into the headshell.

As far as what's left to do? You know, the constant fiddling with the VTA and VTF--but it's close--just too burned out to fiddle for a few more days--it sounds GOOD!

The Ikdea is mounted to a solid block of 1 3/8" thick cherry which is screwed and glued to the maple plinth.

That is wicked looking. Just think, if you had Monty Python's 'Matching Tie and Handkerchief' LP (has two sets of concentric grooves on one side, making it a THREE-sided record), you could play both grooves simultaneously!

M

Man, I totally forgot about that LP. I gotta get one. BTW, very slick looking set up Allan!

Allan,

We really had a great time Friday night. I hope your wife is felling better. BTW, my father in law wants to adopt you.

Regards,

Chris

PS Post a picture of your license plate so everyone can see how demented you really are! kidding...

Allan,

Nice work there. How do you like your new tonearm?

I like it just fine so far! I've only got about 5-6 hours of listening since Saturday afternoon. My initial reaction is that it is more detailed and "refined" sounding than the SME with the same eliptical SPU GT and also not as lush and warm. But these differences are small and since this arm will be used primarily for 70's and 80's pressings I think I've got a winner here . . .

What an animal! No one could dislike a rig like that.

Colter, now I have to pull out my Matching tie and Handkerchief album and play the third side.....

YOU HAVE IT?? I buddy had it in High School about 1975 or so. I've seen it on Ebay but it always go for like $50 or. We had to set the stylus down about 12 times to get to the other groove- hint- just watch the label to find the 2nd groove, it starts opposite...

Michael

That is wicked looking Alan.

When I first read the Subject, I thought maybe you had found another pristine TD124 for me to bid on. Please keep an eye and an ear open for one.

See ya, and congrat's for your new setup. Should make switching vinyl a breeze. Take it easy.

Allan, I've seen the picture of your 124 with SME 3012R (first on my list) before but this is way cooler.

Gilbert, I ended up getting two TD 124s a while ago. I've got one mint

TD 124 mk II with SME 3009 that I was planning to sell. Let me know if

you are interested.

Kudret