Fave Zep song

Seems kind of quiet on the forum SO, I've been home alone all week-end, good chance to pound the H2's abit, now mind you that for 20years I have had only 2way speakers, so I had never heard the Zeppelin box set on 3ways, well I did yesterday, and Boy they sound good, Zep and the H2's. After going through the discs I wondered What is your favorite Zep song? This has probably already been done, and I'm a little late on this, but whatelse are you doing?

My pick is;.........Gallows Pole.....Classic Zep, one must pay attention to the end, great storytellers.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lemon Song

I should have quit you, long time ago. (X2)

I wouldn't be here, my children, down on this killin' floor.

I should have listened, baby, to my second mind (X2)

Everytime I go away and leave you, darling, you send me the blues way down the line.

Said, people worry I can't keep you satisfied.

Let me tell you baby, you ain't nothin but a two-bit, no-good jive.

Went to sleep last night, worked as hard as I can,

Bring home my money, you take my money, give it to another man.

I should have quit you, baby, such a long time ago.

I wouldn't be here with all my troubles, down on this killing floor.

Squeeze me baby, till the juice runs down my leg. (X2)

The way you squeeze my lemon, I'm gonna fall right out of bed.

I'm gonna leave my children down on this killing floor.

In My Time of Dying, 11 minutes of bluesy rock, varying levels of intensity, with great guitar & drums pounding away. Has a few breaks in there where you can catch your breath to get ready for the next assault.

A big reason Physical Graffiti is in my top five favorite recordings of all time.

Home alone? Grab a beer (at noon that is) and crank 'No Body's Fault But Mine' followed by 'What is and What Should Never Be'. Until then you gotta listen to 'Since I've Been Loving You'. Pick one, can't do.

Nick has a 48 marathon of the Andy Griffth show.

Good thread! Tough question, though

I would have to go with When the Levee Breaks. The pounding drums, wailing harmonica and the mezmerizing guitars all work great together.

Agree. Also Nobody's Fault But Mine, with it's awesome drum beat, an innovative application of a snare drumming rudiment to the drum set.

I always liked the beauty of the Rain Song, and the visual from the movie adds to the romance.

PG still is my fave album and dirge-rocker The Crunge, hilarity of Custard Pie, and the majestic sweep of Kashmir come to mind.

Later works I enjoy are the pomp of Achilles Last Stand and the soundcheck warmup We're Gonna Groove that opens the DVD.

I'm pleasantly surprised at some of the answers thus far. Lovers of the deep Zep catalog I see. Levee Breaks is solid rocker and that harp just wails, Gallows pole with Pagey picking banjo is a fun romp and great storytelling, Lemon song is well just the Lemon Song [:P].

Every era of the Mighty Zeppelin (nearly every album or two they changed styles up) has it's own great numbers.

Out on the Tiles, Communication Breakdown, Hat's Off to Roy Harper, Four Sticks.

There's dozens of great rockers from a plethora of styles to choose from.

Picking one- impossible.

I have compiled a two disc set I call Hammer of the Gods- All the classic best Zep, culled from the remastered CD's. Many of you guys have sent me CD's in the past that I've not been able to respond to. I'll make up ten of these sets for the first ten Forum members to PM me with the name of Robert's dog.

Michael

Good thread! Tough question, though

I would have to go with When the Levee Breaks. The pounding drums, wailing harmonica and the mezmerizing guitars all work great together.

Same here. I was thinking about the song everytime I listened to the news on the Katrina disaster in NO.

All great songs--

The one that resonates the most with me is No Quarter off their live one. So much of that album is so so, but the piano and guitar solos in that song are sublime--I never get tired of hearing it--

Yeah I love that one too. It is almost determined by the mood I'm in for choosing only one favorite. "Close the doors, turn out the light......no they won't be home tonight....

To me picking a favorite Zeppelin song would be like picking a favorite child,I can't do it.It would be easier to pick a least favorite song,at least a least favorite album,In Through the Out Door.All the songs mentioned are great,I am partial to Nobody's Fault,and the whole Presence album,till I think of all the others.I've always loved II and PG and 1 and III and IV and Houses and...........

I can't pick a favorite with everything they did, but Night Flight is top on my list....

I once saw a picture of a lady with a baby
Southern lady, had a very, very special smile
We are in the middle of a change in destination
When the train stops, all together we will smile
Oh oh oooh, oh, yeah, ah, come on! Meet me in the morning.
Won't you meet me in the middle of the night, night, n-ni-ni-night
Everybody know the mornin' time is comin'
Don't it make you wanna go an' feel alright. Ah, ah, yeah
Make me feel alright. Fly now, baby
Get to fly, yeah. Fly now, baby. Oooooaaaahhh. Hay! Hay!
Oooh. Ooooh. Oooooh. Oooh!

.... I also have to say I'm surprised with the number of mentions of Nobody's Fault. I always loved that song, but I figured it was more obscure than what it now appears. I got hooked on the harmonica.