WHICH RECORD CLEANING MACHINE

jcmusic

Has anyone built a DIY record cleaning machine? I'm a DIY'er and have given it some thought. A vacuum wand and tower can be purchased from VPI. I have and old Dirt Devil hand vac, that could supply its motor. I've got a beater turntable/radio/cassette player from my youth, which could supply the platter, bearing, etc. I need to find a high torque/ low rpm motor. I can build a box to put it all in. I'm a tool & die maker by trade, and a hobbiest wood worker, so I believe I could pull this off. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. My record collection is not big enough yet, to justify $400-$500 for a record cleaning machine. That money could be used to upgrade some other equipment. I don't mind cleaning them by hand now, in order to save money to spend on a better front end. So if anyone has done this please give your thoughts, i'm sure i'm not the 1st to think of this. Sorry to high jack the thread.

Jeremy

• Moderators

I agree with Gary, hard to go wrong with a VPI 16.5. Call Galen Carol at Galen Carol Audion in San Antonio and he will make a great deal on one for you and will get is shipped right way. I think Tigerwood called him and is going to get one through him. I have no affiliation, he was just the best price I found and happened to be 45 mintues south of me. I have also found the Disk Doctor brushes and fluid the best way to go.

Travis

The VPI's probably have a greater following but I like my Nitty Gritty too! I have your basic manual model and I use the Nitty Gritty fluid and brushes. I've considered upgrading a few times but everytime I research the other brands and models I can't convince myself that I'd be gaining much. I only vacuum about 50 to 100 records per year. Probably closer to 50/year in the last couple of years.

When I first started using these machines, I think I was being too stingy with the fluid. I have found that flooding the record with a maybe a little too much fluid, combined with some bi-directional brushing really does a heck of a job of cleaning.

I think if you are using a stock vacuum and fluid, the VPI is a good choice.

If you are using the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid(highly

recommended!), the Nitty Gritty 1.0 is all you need-you're just using

the vac.

Tried to search and find Allan S.'s record cleaning regimen. If

someone or Allan could post it here that would be worth

considering. 2 different paths. Both have yeilded good

results.

Keep on it. Record cleaning is HIGHLY rewarding!

Paul

If you are using the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid(highly

recommended!), the Nitty Gritty 1.0 is all you need-you're just using

the vac.

Tried to search and find Allan S.'s record cleaning regimen. If

someone or Allan could post it here that would be worth

considering. 2 different paths. Both have yeilded good

results.

Paul

The thing is that the VPI 16.5 is actualy cheaper than the nitty gritty basic model (the 1.0). I am going to order the VPI 16.5, extra nozzel and Disc doctor stuff as recomended per Travis. I found some good used record stores locally and intend to stop buying equipment and start stocking up on vinyl. It should be worth it for the machine. My old albums are all very quiet bit the stuff that I bought is all noisey.

Travis,

I spoke to your local dealer today. Please confirm what I need:

1 VPI 16.5

1 extra nozzel set

1 disc doctor fluid

1 carbon fiber brush (is this really necessary - I have "vintage" disc doctor and memorex brishes? Why on Earth is carbon fiber necessary?)

Distilled water - buy locally

Thanks,

Chris

If you are using the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid(highly recommended!), the Nitty Gritty 1.0 is all you need-you're just using the vac.

Tried to search and find Allan S.'s record cleaning regimen. If someone or Allan could post it here that would be worth considering. 2 different paths. Both have yeilded good results.

Paul

The thing is that the VPI 16.5 is actualy cheaper than the nitty gritty basic model (the 1.0). I am going to order the VPI 16.5, extra nozzel and Disc doctor stuff as recomended per Travis. I found some good used record stores locally and intend to stop buying equipment and start stocking up on vinyl. It should be worth it for the machine. My old albums are all very quiet bit the stuff that I bought is all noisey.

Travis,

1 VPI 16.5

1 extra nozzel set

1 disc doctor fluid

1 carbon fiber brush (is this really necessary - I have "vintage" disc doctor and memorex brishes? Why on Earth is carbon fiber necessary?)

Thanks,

Chris

I've never seen a VPI 16.5 cheaper than a NG 1.0? What prices were you quoted? Usually the 1.0 would be about 1/2 the price of a VPI 16.5

The carbon fiber brush is for dry brushing before each play more or less. They work wonders for loose dust. The wet vacs are only for an initial cleaning and maybe again after many, many plays.

If you are using the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid(highly recommended!), the Nitty Gritty 1.0 is all you need-you're just using the vac.

Tried to search and find Allan S.'s record cleaning regimen. If someone or Allan could post it here that would be worth considering. 2 different paths. Both have yeilded good results.

Paul

Travis,

1 VPI 16.5

1 extra nozzel set

1 disc doctor fluid

Thanks,

Chris

I've never seen a VPI 16.5 cheaper than a NG 1.0? What prices were you quoted? Usually the 1.0 would be about 1/2 the price of a VPI 16.5

The carbon fiber brush is for dry brushing before each play more or less. They work wonders for loose dust. The wet vacs are only for an initial cleaning and maybe again after many, many plays.

The VPI is $450 shipped, the 1.0 seems to be $485 plus shipping.

Will my old brushes due or do I need to spring for the carbon fiber ones.

• Moderators

Travis,

1 VPI 16.5

1 extra nozzel set

1 disc doctor fluid

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

The carbon fiber brush is for dry cleaning. A wet cleaning, regardless of which cleaning method you choose, usually only has to be one time. From that point you want to do a dry clean before and after each play of a record. The carbon fiber brush is used for the dry clean. It just removes dust. Galen will probably sell you the Hunt/EDA brush which has been around forever. It has carbon fibers to clean dust out of the grooves and also a felt pad to remove dust from the surface of the lp. The benefit of carbon fiber is that it will not build up static. That brush you will NOT use with any cleaning fluid.

As far as brushes for wet cleaning, it depends on which school of thought you belong to and we have talked about in the past. The VPI will come with a brush to spread the liquid. A lot of folks think that this is to get into the grooves, but that is not the case. It is to simply spread the cleaning fluid around the record and then you vac it off. No extra "brush" is needed.

If you go the Disk Doctor method, which I think is much better at cleaning used records then with the VPI brush, you spread the solution around the record with the disk doctor brush, then vac.

IF YOU USE THE DISK DOCTOR FLUID that is when you will need TWO Disk Doctor Brushes, and a second TOWER AND TUBE assembly. One is for the clean cycle and the other is for the rinse cycle. After you vac the cleaning solution you rinse with distilled water.

If you go with home brew cleaning fluid, or use the Record Research Labs solution you DO NOT need a second vac tube and tower. The 2nd vac tube and tower is necessary for the Disk Doctor system because it requires a rinse. Home brews usually do not require a seperate rinse cycle.

Hope that clarifies things.

Travis

The VPI is $450 shipped, the 1.0 seems to be $485 plus shipping.

Will my old brushes due or do I need to spring for the carbon fiber ones.

That's a good price on the VPI with shipping included. The Nitty Gritty 1.0 can be found for $265 to $295 plus shipping so they must be quoting you a different model. A carbon fiber brush is only $15 to $25 so I would get one. Again, after you put your album on the tt, you lightly brush the record for a revolution or two just to get any stray dust off. Only takes a second.

For a less expensive but VERY effective clean, I use the Spin Clean machine. It is totally manual, easily does bidirectional cleaning and is positivly low buck when compaired to the above comments. I use microfiber towels to dry the LPs after cleaning and they come out great. A carbon fiber brush before playing and you are set to go. Hey, just my $0.02!

My first Nitty Gritty lasted about 10-12 years. I'm two years into my second one.

I think I paid about $275 for the second one.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ANIT1

I like spinning the record manually, spinning it in both directions. I also spin the record very slowly at first and the one quick spin at the end.

The only RCM that I would replace the NG 1.0 with is the Loricraft machine. I just can't justify the $1500+ expense.

I too am torn between the Nitty and the 16.5[*-)]

I currently just clean my albums once a year by hand with mild soap and dry with soft cloth. I clean them with my Orbitrac befor each play and have very good results so I think I'm about ready to move to a machine in lieu of hand washing[:)]

I'm with you Allan the Loricraft would be in my reading reviews to be the bomb but I just can't seem to muster thatmuch for a cleaning machine!

Good thread all I'm reading[;)]

I only know one person who killed a 16.5. Guy Landau blew out the motor after cleaning about 100 records non-stop if I remember correctly. Could have been less. I'm still not sure how he managed to keep the felt on the wand dry enough to clean properly. 4 or 5 LPs in a row is about my limit. The thing really is a tank though.

I bought replacement felt strips (2 sets for $4) from DiscDoctor for the wand (cheaper than buying a new arm @ $25) and they work great. At first I thought they weren't working as well as the originals but after a slight adjustment to the angle, they do a great job. You just need to tilt wand ever so slightly so the opening isn't straight down.