opinions needed

dtel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Give the Sonic a whirl, with those CW's it may work pretty well. The older gear may require costly repairs unless you get lucky....something else?.......that could be interesting too.

A few months ago I picked up a 60's integrated and it does have a much mellower sound than either of my Denons, it cost 30 bucks for lightbulb replacement and a controls lube job.

Be sure to post info on whatever you decide and however it works out.

I wouldn't waste my time with the Sonic Impact. I've got one here on loan from Tom Brennan, but haven't seen him posting for quite a while now (I think it's been at least a year if not two). If it was mine I would just mail it free of charge for y'all to hear for yourself.

You just looking for a new toy to play with? $140 could buy quite a lot of music...

• Moderators

Thanks for all the opinions, if you put them all together that's what I have been thinking, except the flower and dinner thing with the wife, she is always first before any of this stuff anyway.

The little T amps had very good reviews everywhere I read even compared to much more expensive amps, up to about 6 WPC. And with Clll's that may be enough power, on paper at least ?

An older receiver also has some advantages, more power, some have good tuners and many people like the sound quality, they can also be connected to a few more inputs. Although they can be expensive to fix if I get one that does not work or breaks. I had , and gave away years ago a Sansui 8080, the lights had went out and it was $80 per hour to fix 15 years ago. There was only one place that would service it within 150 miles. I should have kept it the sound was the best I had ever had !

Well Michael will be here next week and he can listen and help with speaker placement and give me an opinion on how I listen and how many WPC I would need. Most of the listening I do is not really that loud because of all the people living here and a daughter that is an RN and works a few nights a week and has to sleep in the day. But sometimes I have a chance to listen with some volume, if I am lucky maybe once a week. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's really me not wanting to bother the others , no one has complained and I do get a fair volume.

Whatever I decide to try it doesnt mean it's permanent ! You know how that works, there is always better to be had with more $ later.................Thanks

Email Skonopa and have him send you the first generation sonic T I lent

him. Just tell him I said it was ok. Also has wall socket

power thingy so you don't have to use batteries.

Hit some local estate sales (get there early). Almost certain you

will come accross an old receiver or two at very cheap prices. Lube the

pots, change the fuses and fire up at first with el-cheapo

speakers.

Barring that buy some Magic Pebbles!

I wouldn't waste my time with the Sonic Impact. I've got one here on loan from Tom Brennan, but haven't seen him posting for quite a while now (I think it's been at least a year if not two). If it was mine I would just mail it free of charge for y'all to hear for yourself.

You just looking for a new toy to play with? $140 could buy quite a lot of music...

Doc,

Please describe what you don't like about the Super T. I thought it sounded pretty good.

Tony

With a little patience you should be able to pick up a B&K ST-140 for around $150 - 200. Legendary amp.

I'm listening to one driving Heresys in my office system as I type. Got mine used about 10 years ago for $150.

The ST-140 was my introduction to B&K. I've since bought 5 more amps, 2 pre-amps and a pre/pro for my HT. Good stuff. Nuf said.

James

well then according to klipschhornite law, the amp is yours....

klipschhornite law #218 - when a piece of gear has been on loan for over 13 months and no one has written that it is required back, then the gear, in order to avoid gear orphans, is the property of the one who hands it is in. vote- 1459 yea, 2 nea.......

boy!!

There are two versions of the Sonic Impact: The original "plastic fantastic" that sells for $20, and the Super-T that sells for $140 -- the two amps are worlds apart. The latter incorporates most of the improvements the technical savvy guys in the DIY community applied to the original.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact2/t2.html