GOOD GOD, SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS ONE....

Gilbert

I really don't want to come off as a wise-***, nor do I want to argue, or offend anyone. In my opinion, $6000. for a power amp that needs a pre-amp too is alot of money to spend to listen to music. I think $6000. should and would buy one fine Stereo, not just one piece of the system. Am I not entitled to my opinion????? I don't think I am alone with that view, I'm just the first to express it.

People aren't buying a pair of Marantz Model 2's just to listen to music. (ok, that's the second time I told you that!)

Like I wrote to Dan, People who buy cars and audio equipment to make money are foolish, most don't, a very few do. Cars and equipment are only worth what the BUYER is willing to pay................... (ok, that's the second time I wrote that!) I can't believe that ANY piece of Audio Equipment is worth that money..............PERIOD.......unless you have so much money it doesn't matter to you. It is only a small percentage of people who would even consider buying that equipment........................You are in a MINORITY on this one...............Do you think anyone on this thread is going to buy that equipment? Are You ? You are entitled to your opinion................let me have mine.

You can have your opinion. I never said you couldn't. I'm not talking about opinions. Just trying to drumb into your rock hard skull that people are not paying $6000 for these because of their audio capabilities (ok, third time). What don't you get about collectors items?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't want to come off as a wise-***, nor do I want to argue, or offend anyone. In my opinion, $6000. for a power amp that needs a pre-amp too is alot of money to spend to listen to music. I think $6000. should and would buy one fine Stereo, not just one piece of the system. Am I not entitled to my opinion????? I don't think I am alone with that view, I'm just the first to express it.

People aren't buying a pair of Marantz Model 2's just to listen to music. (ok, that's the second time I told you that!)

Like I wrote to Dan, People who buy cars and audio equipment to make money are foolish, most don't, a very few do. Cars and equipment are only worth what the BUYER is willing to pay................... (ok, that's the second time I wrote that!) I can't believe that ANY piece of Audio Equipment is worth that money..............PERIOD.......unless you have so much money it doesn't matter to you. It is only a small percentage of people who would even consider buying that equipment........................You are in a MINORITY on this one...............Do you think anyone on this thread is going to buy that equipment? Are You ? You are entitled to your opinion................let me have mine.

You can have your opinion. I never said you couldn't. I'm not talking about opinions. Just trying to drumb into your rock hard skull that people are not paying $6000 for these because of their audio capabilities (ok, third time). What don't you get about collectors items?

but they do sound great!! You should hear my MC275 right now with a C22!!!

Scott0527.............Rock Hard Skull, really..................If it's not bought for it's Audio capabilities, what is it you are collecting......DUST ? Do you buy it then hang it on the wall ? Put it away and save it ? Do you really have that much money ? No one on this forum is going to buy that amp, it's all talk, so what's the point ? Are you going to buy it ? What's the point of Rock Hard Skull?.................Me, I rather buy McIntosh anyway, and I do realize that Marantz bought out McIntosh......................[;)]

Buckster, nobody's faulting your opinion. It's honestly
held. They are trying to explain to you though that in these
particular instances (the 8b and the Marantz monos) over time you will
make money-quaranteed.

Look around your own
house. You probably have acquired, inherited, whatever, a couple
of things in the house that give you aesthetic pleasure, yet have also
probably appreciated in value over the years.

It's the same thing.

Factor
this in also. The 8b is over 45 years old and sold in the mid
$300's. At 3% a year average inflation over that time, what would
a comparable piece sell for today?

A new Khorn sells for $10 grand and is considered the low end of high end speakers.

You want to be shocked over audio prices look at the new
stuff. Go to AudioAoucistics and spend a few minutes going
through the new gear they have for sale. Or better yet go to
Needledoctor and see what turntable needles are selling for .

Must admit I kinda like the thick skull crack. It's part of your charm and one of the reasons everybody here likes you!

Scott0527.............Rock Hard Skull, really..................If it's not bought for it's Audio capabilities, what is it you are collecting......DUST ? Do you buy it then hang it on the wall ? Put it away and save it ? Do you really have that much money ? No one on this forum is going to buy that amp, it's all talk, so what's the point ? Are you going to buy it ? What's the point of Rock Hard Skull?.................Me, I rather buy McIntosh anyway, and I do realize that Marantz bought out McIntosh......................[;)]

Not sure if you will ever get it OB. It goes far beyond the money paid for them, or whether they will be used or not.

I have a friend who has a fleet of Corvettes. Two 67 L88's (one with 10 miles that he paid $650K for), 68 L88, 71 ZL1 (one of two in the world), 78 pace car w/no miles, 88 35th anniv w/no miles, 93 40th anniv w/no miles, 98 pace car with no miles, and many more. He has never driven any of these cars and hasn't even sat in some. Is he nuts?

I like to buy things that were important to me in my youth. I think you'll find most collectors feel the same way, and they are willing to pay the price to have them. For most, it's not the money, but there are a few exceptions...

Mike

Jacksonbart, the chicken is probably the only one that will listen.....................alright guys, let me put it this way, Oldbuckster CANNOT afford such equipment...............You all tell me about collecting, Is anyone on this forum going to buy that amp? If the answer is No, then why all the static my way, because I disagree with the purchase.I do understand about collecting, but it is speculation, it can backfire in your face.I happen to think there are better ways, and things to collect.Land is a smarter investment, houses are a smarter investment, stocks, bonds, certificate of deposits are smarter investments. Cars and Audio equipment are not smart investments. It must be a wonderful feeling to spend $6000. for something to just sit around, unused, because it is a collectable.

You know Gentlemen, this could go on forever, I've tried to be nice about it, that doesn't seem to be working, so I guess I'll just come out and say it, I think that is stupid to spend that much on one piece of Audio Equipment. Don't come back and talk about collecting, we are all collectors. Anyone on this forum that has CD's, Records, DVD's, we are collecting. You guys with 4,5,20 sets of Klipsch speakers, your collecting, you guys with 2,3 and 4 stereo systems, your collecting. So I do understand about collecting,and I also understand that anyone that would buy that amp is in a Minority. It is out of touch for the majority of people, big time exotic collectors are a very small percentage of the overall number of Audiophiles. I am looking at the whole picture, not just a bunch of people on a audio forum. The world is alot bigger than the Klipsch Forum. Call me a Rock Hard Skull if you will, but you know the way I feel, like it or not..................Rock on Bro.'s

Awww, Buckster, now you've gone and done it. I'm feeling this warm and tingling feeling all over.

There's just something about common sense that brings the girlyman out in me.

I feel a goup hug coming on.

post-14801-13819321210606_thumb.jpg

You all tell me about collecting, Is anyone on this forum going to buy that amp?

I've had snipe bid in since the first day of the auction. Hopefully it will be me!

It must be a wonderful feeling to spend $6000. for something to just sit around, unused, because it is a collectable.

It is.

So I do understand about collecting,and I also understand that anyone that would buy that amp is in a Minority.

What do have against minorities?

It is out of touch for the majority of people, big time exotic collectors are a very small percentage of the overall number of Audiophiles.

And a new Porche 911 is out of touch for the majority of people. So what?

I am looking at the whole picture, not just a bunch of people on a audio forum. The world is alot bigger than the Klipsch Forum. Call me a Rock Hard Skull if you will, but you know the way I feel, like it or not..................Rock on Bro.'s

You started it all by asking what it was that made these amps worth $6000? You said "I don't understand what makes that piece of equipment so expensive" We're just trying answer you stupid freakin' question. But you're so damn busy listening to yourself talk you won't listen to the answer

Someone buys those Model 2's and puts say $300 (DIY) to $500 (pay a good tech) in them so total investment is $3500 they could be used carefully for another 20 years and sold for a profit (Save all the original parts). I don't see a stupid thing in that purchase. You get paid to listen to glorious music. Plus they just have that awesome vintage look. $3500 is a drop in the bucket in high end audio today!

Someone buys those Model 2's and puts say $300 (DIY) to $500 (pay a good tech) in them so total investment is $3500 they could be used carefully for another 20 years and sold for a profit (Save all the original parts). I don't see a stupid thing in that purchase. You get paid to listen to glorious music. Plus they just have that awesome vintage look. $3500 is a drop in the bucket in high end audio today!

I feel the same way about my MC-30s. I got mine for less than the current market value (and I have 2 pairs)....but still 4K spent on iron and builds in four amps. I'm not even considering the resale, but when I realize that I have amplification for my Heritage that should take me to my grave (they built that stuff GOOD), it's really a bargain. This gear is usable and maintainable - in other words, anything but disposable. And it sounds WONDERFUL.

Even at collector prices for MC-30s/8B and similar, they are STILL worth it for the sound alone - especially with the Heritage. Granted, if one wants simplicity/no restoration yet similar (and in some respects a bit better) sonics, you can get VRDs and make it easy. Just without the allure and value appreciation of vintage shiny Mac nomenclature and chrome......[:)]

There's a very thin, very blurry line seperating collecting and investment. But they are not the same thing. A collector collects because they find it satisfying for whatever reason. An investor invests to profit in some way. Often, the appreciation of collectibles is used to rationalize the collection in investment terms.

The usefulness of an item really doesn't enter into the picture here. If an item is deemed desirable by a collector and is within their means, who's to say they shouldn't acquire it? (I know - their wife, but let's not get off track.) If an item is probable to increase in value to others for some reason (even if they are collectors), then it is a reasonable risk for investment purposes.

As mentioned, the reasons (or pathology in some cases) behind the act of collecting are rarely understood by those uninterested in the items.

You all tell me about collecting, Is anyone on this forum going to buy that amp?

I've had snipe bid in since the first day of the auction. Hopefully it will be me!

It must be a wonderful feeling to spend $6000. for something to just sit around, unused, because it is a collectable.

It is.

So I do understand about collecting,and I also understand that anyone that would buy that amp is in a Minority.

What do have against minorities?

It is out of touch for the majority of people, big time exotic collectors are a very small percentage of the overall number of Audiophiles.

And a new Porche 911 is out of touch for the majority of people. So what?

I am looking at the whole picture, not just a bunch of people on a audio forum. The world is alot bigger than the Klipsch Forum. Call me a Rock Hard Skull if you will, but you know the way I feel, like it or not..................Rock on Bro.'s

You started it all by asking what it was that made these amps worth $6000? You said "I don't understand what makes that piece of equipment so expensive" We're just trying answer you stupid freakin' question. But you're so damn busy listening to yourself talk you won't listen to the answer

Very nice response...................Why do you pick and choose what part of my response you want to answer? Let me do the same to you................So your a sniper......If it is such a great piece of equipment, just pay the money, if you have over $6,000. just laying around, give it up, what's a couple hundred more to a collector like yourself??? Talk about STUPID questions, What do you have against minorites? High end, exotic Audiophiles are a small, very small percentage of the total of people involed in the hobby. The overall market is not geared for High enders, because you have nice equipment, and you are a part of a forum, doesn't make you a majority. Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeters were not built for High end Exotic collectors, average Joe Consumer types are what they are geared for. A new Porsche 911is out of touch for the majority of people.................Who owns a new Porsche, I don't, I can't afford one either ,your right So What? Here the best one, We're trying to answer your STUPID FREAKIN' QUESTION. But your so damn busy listening to yourself talk you won't listen to the answer...................Wow, that's real classy my Klipsch Forum brother, that's what I love about this forum, such informative, warm responses.............I'm overcome with the love..........................EH

I realize the heading on this thread is probably tongue in cheek, but it reads, " GOOD GOD, SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS ONE....." doesn't it? That's all I was doing. I am sorry, again, to ask a question around here................I thought I was on the Klipsch Forum, not that other one...........

Happy New Year...........................................[:'(]....[;)]

Ob, I was just trying to explain that "we all" have areas of interest that we spend money on. Real profits will never be made if one buys classic audio gear and sells it years later. Definetely not enough to retire on, like real estate. I was trying to explain to you the sickness. I value your opinion and truly accept it. Unlike others, I do not collect, but rather buy for the listening. When I am through with it, I sell it. I have a musician friend who , unlike me, spends his money on guitars(he plays and writes music). He appreciates what I am doing and I appreciate his doings. I suppose I was wrong about the driving thing.If you could afford it, you would have a limo and a chaufer-I get it! Please no hard feelings. I did say in my previous post I was not attacking you. I do not see anyone doing that. We are trying to say the same thing. There are many threads about "collectors" in all sorts of areas. As Mike Lindsey said, cars are a big one. Wines, cigars, coins. You name it! I feel it is fascinating when you think about it. I can have Clapton in my living room whenever I want(Beyonce would be nice). Really, this is all I am saying. Again , never harsh feelings my friend.

Ob, I was just trying to explain that "we all" have areas of interest that we spend money on. Real profits will never be made if one buys classic audio gear and sells it years later. Definetely not enough to retire on, like real estate. I was trying to explain to you the sickness. I value your opinion and truly accept it. Unlike others, I do not collect, but rather buy for the listening. When I am through with it, I sell it. I have a musician friend who , unlike me, spends his money on guitars(he plays and writes music). He appreciates what I am doing and I appreciate his doings. I suppose I was wrong about the driving thing.If you could afford it, you would have a limo and a chaufer-I get it! Please no hard feelings. I did say in my previous post I was not attacking you. I do not see anyone doing that. We are trying to say the same thing. There are many threads about "collectors" in all sorts of areas. As Mike Lindsey said, cars are a big one. Wines, cigars, coins. You name it! I feel it is fascinating when you think about it. I can have Clapton in my living room whenever I want(Beyonce would be nice). Really, this is all I am saying. Again , never harsh feelings my friend.

ABSOLUTELY NOT, I know that Dan..........I have no harsh feelings at all with you........My main point was, not everyone is in a position to afford such things as a $6000. power amp, and to not listen to such a unit, escapes my imagination. No more, no less....the Rock Hard Skull comment pisses me off, there was no need to word it that way, and that just carried over to other posts, and for that I am Sorry. To be honest, $6000. is alot of money to sink into a stereo period, but I am talking about myself, how others choose to spend their money, is up to them, what equipment you choose to buy is your choice, has nothing to do with me. Everyone of us on this forum are collectors, we have music collections, more equipment than we need, and so it goes...............................You get my point........................PEACE Brother

Collectors of anything are an odd breed within themselves. Only collectors of similar things would understand.... And perceptions change over time too. Five years ago I had a hard time paying 300 bucks for a refurbished eico/scott. Nowadays twice that much is well within reason.. Just a matter of perception. Value is truly in the eye of the beholder. My wife likes horses.......... the 2 in my pasture look about the same to me.... But I'm told that one is worth 600 bucks and the other 15000. I've gotten into collecting vintage mac equipment. At least when it dies I can have it repaired. when the horse goes so does the 15 grand. Go figure...

Dave