Wanna show off your racks?

tommyboy

Here's mine. The smaller monster powercenter is decoration right now. A buddy of mine sold it to me for $35, so I figured why not. I will probably move it upstairs when Im not so lazy. Check my signature to see what everything is. Can you tell that I'm bored yet?

post-16545-13819325858548_thumb.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bored too, where's colter.

Edited for Lisa - bottom to top:

Outlaw 7500 amp (5x200) - QSC plx2402 amp (2x425) - Belkin F5C980 - Outlaw 990 Pre

Sony DVPNC85B - Targus laptop chill mat - Dish VIP 622 - Samsung Plasma 42"

Gusdorf rack thankfully still holding TV

post-17658-13819325859458_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I can't get a camera in the room I have my gear in to take pictures of it....9X11...maybe some day when my room addition is done.

This is called a flexirack. Pulled the design off the internet and built it out of 3/4" mdf for about $40. Got to paint or veneer the shelves some day. That big thing with tubes is a Marantz 8b.

I did a thread on this when I built it and will try to find it post a link in case someone wants a sturdy rack and at a peanut price.

post-14801-13819325863342_thumb.jpg

I did the same thing as Thebes, although I painted mine with cabinet lacquers. The substrate is MDF, the threaded rod was 1/2" coarse thread and the PVC piping is 3/4" diameter. ( happens to fit kinda nice over the 1/2" nut ) Being overly anal about the tubing being centered, I wrapped each nut with a few wraps of electrical tape until the PVC was snug before adding the next shelf.

I ended up sanding between each coat of ML Cambell Clawlock primer surfacer, and between each coat of lacquer..... I honestly don't think I will use it again unless I have time to waste. ( took about 20 hours to sand and refinsh all the shelves ) I did have a matching television stand and center speaker stand...but that is a different story altogether. It was kind of a pain to hang all the shelves up in my makeshift booth, had to get help with the 24" x 36" shelves..... they were big and heavy, not to mention there was 6 of them.

Total cost for all the materials ( MDF, threaded rod 6 feet 1/2" x 8, all the nuts and washers, PVC, paint, solvent and primer ) came to roughly $ 400 CDN. I had it all sawn at the lumber store, they charged $ 20 to cut it all ( a bargain ), and I built a simple jig from 3/4" mdf and used a drill press and a friend to drill the 68 holes in total.

I cut the PVC with the aid of a mitre saw with adjustable fence.... worked like a charm, except I found you could not move the blade through quick, otherwise it would chip a chunk out of the PVC at the bottom. I wetsanded all the PVC with p600 wetordry paper, water and some dish soap...... put it on clothesline to paint it all, first a coat of RM adhesion promoter, then 2 coats of the green lacquer.

post-9504-13819325865172_thumb.jpg