Wanna show off your racks?

tommyboy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice design, jheis...very imaginative!

My first decent rack; an '85 Bush particleboard entertainment center. It was okay, but towards '02 with age it got real rickety, especially with that brute MC7200 on top!

post-11084-13819326088608_thumb.jpg

Later trashed the Bush for my parent's late '60s Danish made, solid walnut credenza (reminds me of the old stereophonic consoles of the day). I loved its build quality and its groovy design, but Hurricane Jeanne destroyed its entire bottom base when my music room was flooded! Regrettably, it too was put to the curb, only for someone who happened to drive by before the garbage men did take it away! I'm hoping it was repaired and refinished and is happily being used in someone else's home. I wish I still had it...

post-11084-13819326089658_thumb.jpg

Slammin, I caught your comments but didn't have time to reply. I really do like the look. It has a sort of modern contrasts with traditional, and the wood veneer is superb.I know it was only a dream but here's a suggestion if you truly are worried about the pvc. Try some hockey pucks. They are black you can glue them together if needed and several others here say they help with resonances.

Here's my other rack. It's an old Grundig console, made and sold in Germany (not an export model). Big old beast that works but needs refreshing both mechanically and appearance-wise.

Marty,

Oh My!! If I am concerned about my little PVC things failing, you should be concerned about your floor caving in! Great collection!!!

tc

PS EDIT: To find a hockey puck in Fayettenam AR. would be like renting a jet ski in Bismark North Dakota in January!!

Yes, meagain, those big blue power meters were mesmerizing!

Here's my latest rack, a 2005 Haropa 13SVG, which is an AV rack actually. Won it on eBay dirt cheap! It's not nearly as pretty as the walnut credenza, but it is sturdy; so too are the tempered glass shelves. It'll do for now...

post-11084-13819326091178_thumb.jpg

I really like Michael Hurd's DIY rack. I would someday like to

build something along those lines. I was thinking of using MDF

shelves with rounded over edges and painted a nice gloss black.

For the spacers, I would like to try using copper pipe.

Copper shines up real nice with a little sanding and with a few coats

of laquer, should stay that way forever. I think it would look

great with black and copper Klipsch speakers.

Thanks for the kudos! I will tell you though that priming is the most important aspect of the paint job, I put 2 full coats of ML Campbell Clawlock post catalysed primer on the shelves, sanding in between. The edges must be finished fine beore priming, as the edge is more porous than the surface. You must also wipe down the MDF with a solvent precleaner... I had a few small spots appear in the first go at them with the primer.

A router would work great rounding over the edges..... and yes you could use copper pipe as the spacers, but the lengths have to be pretty exact. I used a mitre saw for mine. As far as gloss level, I don't honestly think that I personally would like a high gloss finish, IMO it will show every dust particle and microscratch.

I would myself prefer a more satin or semi gloss finish, most automotive paints can be mixed in satin or semi-gloss as well. I used an application specific product, meant for cabinet builders. In all fairness I probably would select a different product altogether, maybe a Limco alkyd finish. ( more $$ )

I also used nuts on both sides of the shelves.... don't think I will do that again.... 11 shelves x 8 nuts = patience....LOL, then the washers on both sides as well.

More pics of the rack here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/869283.aspx pg 2