Has anyone not liked their Klipschorns and replaced them?

wpines

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The K-horns demand a suitable room. I can't think of a absolute minimum size, but I have a 16 x 25 living room and that would be the smallest I'd ever care to put K-horns in.

They require a tight seal to the corner. They also require quiet electronics, be it tube or solid state. Bob Crites' CT-125 tweeters are a significant step up from the stock Klipsch K-77 tweeter and are drop in-replacements. If I bought K-horns I'd buy the CT-125s at the same time.

Because the K-horns play cleanly at very high volumes, people tend to listen to music louder than they would on lesser speakers. People get burned out on loud music, clean or not, and spouses can be grumpy about the loudness, too. Hearing conservation is also a facto in this.

I think the reason that people change speakers has to do with a desire for change, it sounds different=must sound "better". Often it is a matter of trading one coloration for another. The best way to refresh one's enthusiasm for Klipsch Heritage is to invite someone who's not heard them before over with their favorite music. Watching the jaws drop, hearing the oohs and ahhs is a powerful validation.

I loved mine and acquiring a pair was a dream of mine ever since I first heard them at about age 18. It was actually with a bit of sadness that I let my first pair go however, I DO have a pair of LaScalas that I will never sell because I bought them new when I was 19.

The only reason I let them go was to make the wife happy about the acquisition of the Jubes and to help defray their cost. Had Mr. Budget been happier with me and the wife not minded, I would have kept the Khorns also and simply added the Jubes to the flock.

Signed,

Mini-Colter

[;)]

yes replaced my Klipschorns with a different pair of Klipschorns.(different veneer & finish) then Replaced drivers with more up to date mids & tweeters....Then replaced woofers with more up to date units...Then threw out xovers for a better designed electronic Xover..Triamping with six mono blocks. Yes i,m an old sicko but loved the challenge of upgrading......Now where is that check book to see if I can afford those Jubilee,s.......Honey!! Where did you hide the check book!!!!!!!!

I'm considering buying a pair this weekend and the forum here is ripe with praise for the Klipschorn, but I'm sure they're not for everyone and I'm curious to hear some of the reasons people have quit the Khorn. Thanks.

WPINES,

I am sorry that I sold my K-Horns before you got a chance to hear them (I am up the road in CT), but life has become hectic.

I sold mine so I could make room for Jubilees. This does not mean that I had any any real dis-satisfaction with the K-Horns, quite the opposite. The K-Horns are fantastic speakers. They do require corners or false corners however (and nice snug fit).

In terms of realism in reproducing the dynamics of live music and also the accuracy of the bass, few speakers are in the same league. Those I know who have sold them, have typically done so because of room issues (no corners, size etc). There are plenty of used ones available (or you can buy them new) and they are certainly a great value (performance divided by price).

I sometimes wonder if folks hesitate because of the constant chatter about K-Horns "requiring" new tweeters, exotic crossovers, expensive amps and all the other advice. IMO, they sound good as they are.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Most folks I know that have replaced their Khorns have done it with Cornwalls. They prefer that bass punch vs horn loaded. No point in replacing Khorns with Belles or Lascalas (unless for room purposes) since they are so similiar.

I still don't understand why so many are replacing their tweeters. To me it takes away from that great live, gritty sound that drew me to Klipsch in the first place.

Although I have my Khorns in a room that is way too small (only 12 feet apart), I still love them. I hope to have my room remodeled within a year so I can spread them out another 4 - 6 feet. I'm also glad to have Cornwalls upstairs and would probably keep the Corns if I had to choose. They're just way more versatile.

wpines,

You ask an interesting question. I think it is the rarest individual who has Khorns and is also not pleased with the sound. You've gotten some good responses here. The thing amazing about Khorns, to my ears, is that they have an even bigger sound than LaScalas. I say amazed, and I was genuinely amazed when I got Khorns into my house.

In reading quite a few posts on the forum over the years and in conversation, I don't recall ever hearing someone say they got rid of Khorns because they didn't like the sound. Those that did mentioned other reasons, mostly logistical/architectural space oriented things.

Hope you find some Khorns that are pleasing to you.

Also, if you don't like them, you'll have no trouble unloading them for what you paid.

Most folks I know that have replaced their Khorns have done it with Cornwalls. They prefer that bass punch vs horn loaded. No point in replacing Khorns with Belles or Lascalas (unless for room purposes) since they are so similiar.

I still don't understand why so many are replacing their tweeters. To me it takes away from that great live, gritty sound that drew me to Klipsch in the first place.

Although I have my Khorns in a room that is way too small (only 12 feet apart), I still love them. I hope to have my room remodeled within a year so I can spread them out another 4 - 6 feet. I'm also glad to have Cornwalls upstairs and would probably keep the Corns if I had to choose. They're just way more versatile.

You know, I really appreciate what the Khorn does, but in my room with my gear and the records I listen to most of the time I think the Cornwall is a better speaker. Not true for most I understand, but I wouldn't trade my Cornwalls straight-up for Khorns if I actually had to use them.

And I'm with you 110% af far as the tweeter goes--a nice old alnico T35 that is up to snuff is perfect in these speakers--at least to my ears anyway.

Hope you find some Khorns that are pleasing to you.

Also, if you don't like them, you'll have no trouble unloading them for what you paid.

I

think Daddy Dee makes a good point here. Just go make the deal

and try them for yourself in your own room with your own ears.

Nothing to lose really, as it is pointed out that it should not be hard

to recoup what you pay for them. Good luck to you.

"I sometimes wonder if folks hesitate because of the constant chatter about K-Horns "requiring" new tweeters, exotic crossovers, expensive amps and all the other advice. IMO, they sound good as they are."

I think the only thing "required" when buying an older pair is to have the stock networks rebuilt. That opinion is substantiated by measurements. Other choices are fun and interesting, and I would certainly agree here that different isn't always better -- it's very subjective. It's the primary reason I quit being so dogmatic about it all -- you simply can't presume to know what someone else will prefer.

"I still don't understand why so many are replacing their tweeters. To me it takes away from that great live, gritty sound that drew me to Klipsch in the first place."
"And I'm with you 110% as far as the tweeter goes--a nice old alnico T35 that is up to snuff is perfect in these speakers--at least to my ears anyway."

I'm sure it doesn't account for all of it, but not only do you both enjoy the same type of music, but even use many of the same recordings. Larry didn't care much for the tweeters in his AK-4 Klipschorns, but those networks do have some EQ in them to compensate for an anomaly in the K-77-F's response. I personally don't care for the K-77 much at all, and Bob's driver was a welcome change. I'm not much into "gritty sound".:)

I bought new Klipschorns in 2004, and though I loved the big soundstage and engaging dynamics, I thought they were lacking in clarity. I dumped the top section and went with Al's Trachorn/Beyma setup. JBL 2470's replaced the K-55's, and I stayed with a simple filter(s). This setup was superceded by Klipschorn Jubilees.

I bought new Klipschorns in 2004, and though I loved the big soundstage and enaging dynamics, I thought they were lacking in clarity.

Lacking in clarity? My Khorn system has clarity coming out the "you-know-what."

You just needed a nice vinyl rig Dean!! ; )

I came close to selling mine. When I first got mine they did not sound too good. They were 1978 models and had been abused. I replaced the diaphragms, woofers, crossovers, and wire with new and they came back to life. I'll never sell them! You experience the music and not just listen to it. You can feel the whack of the drum go through your body and the bass resonates the entire room as it should. I've never heard speakers do drums like Klipschorns do and I've heard a lot. Even vocals seem to go right through you as if you were in the front row of a live show. Sometimes they can sound a little boxy, but that is easy to forget due to what they do right that no other speaker can. Some amplifiers sound better with them than others and of course rooms.

Well, you do have a very nice set of networks.:)

I might get back into vinyl when I don't have little ones bouncing off the walls and floors!

LOL! And you didn't?

I might get back into vinyl when I don't have little ones bouncing off the walls and floors!

The day you get back into vinyl, I'll send you a really nice care package!

LOL! And you didn't?

The day you get back into vinyl, I'll send you a really nice care package!

Man, I hope Roy doesn't see this. I'd take a well built Type A or ALKJr. (Super AA) over the AK-4. Klipsch uses mylars in their networks, and though they sound O.K., well ... I wanted to rebuild my AK-4's with really good caps, but it was just too much money.

I have to admit, the vinyl threads keep it at the forefront of my thinking. I used to run a MC set up in the early 80's, so I know how good that can sound. I am to the point where I'm craving a source upgrade -- looking at aftermarket DAC's and what not.

Actually, I did like them but I replaced them anyway. When I bought them ('98's w/AK3 x/o), I had a room they sounded great in; high ceiling, open ended, etc. But then we built a new house and I only had one room they would fit (or were allowed) into. And they just did not bloom in that room. It's not that they sounded bad, they just didn't sound "klipschorn" good. Ya know? The bass was very troublesome in that room and in fact the corners the horns had to go in were the absolute worst locations in the room to try to produce bass. Too much at 63Hz, huge suck-outs at 50 and 80Hz...a nightmare. Also, this room was, er, is a dedicated media room. It is closed off from the rest of the house just like a bedroom would be and as such does not seem to breathe very well. Plus, it has too many similar dimensions. Anyway, to make a long story short, the klipschorns just didn't sound good enough in this space to earn their keep. Factor in some financial concerns at the time, and I painfully decided they had to go. I guess I'm giving you too much information here...sorry. But to sum up, IMO k-horns are one of the most room and set-up demanding speakers there is. In the right room (big, open, favorably dimensioned and leaning towards the reverberant) they can sing as no other speaker I've ever heard. But in the wrong room, they will disappoint, for sure.