Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

Travis, I too am very saddened to hear about this. Eyes watering as I'm typing. Our dogs are our family also and I know how it absolutely kills me to see them suffer. I can relate with your sense of loss.

I might ask... was Malc a Great Pyranease (sp?). Tis what he looks like to me and if so, GEEZ, those dogs are monsters!! (even if he's not he looks like a monster!)

Again, my heartfelt condolences.

[:(]

Richard

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travis and family,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I had to put my buddy down a few years ago and I must say it was by far the toughest thing I have ever done. I will always remember the joy he brought me and my family in his 12 years with us, and I am sure you will do the same with Malcolm. You did the right thing, as tough as it was. Hang in there.

Very sorry to hear about Malcolm.  After we failed at treating cancer in one of our cats we determined that we'd never again put one of our pets through the misery of extreme medicine.  They don't understand but they do feel.  Since we have lost many fine pets and we felt better for the deed.  The decision is hard but it is the correct one.

Travis - sorry for your loss and I understand what a difficult decision that must have been. You can take solace in the knowledge that it was the right choice. After the loss of my last dog, I decided that my next dog would be an older one from the animal shelter. My hope was to save an animal from destruction and let him or her live out their lives in a loving home. We found a black lab mix that seemed so gentle and calm, took him home and named him Elvis. He has been a true joy and has brought a lot of happiness to my family. If you decide to get another dog, think about getting a "pound puppy."

Travis,

I am also sorry to hear about Malcome, sorry for your loss.These threads get me crying. I hate that. But I want to join in in telling you that we understand. That you are not alone in this.

I have a big old boy also. This year his coat changed and his hips... Well, you know how our big boys pay for their size. I'm getting older too, this bum's me out also. <laughs quietly>

ploly why I get crying... Deep breath, moving on...

It takes me months to get over this kind of loss (when I lose a dog.) I think I might just be a big kitty. ~Noah

Sorry to hear of your loss, Travis.

You did the right thing, every step of the way.

You helped a young kid get a second chance at life on Friday. You took your friend to A&M on Saturday for the best possible care (truly, the Mayo Clinic of vets). Finally, you said good-bye, taking the suffering upon yourself (and your wife) and removing it from a loved one.

Well done, my unmet friend, each difficult step.

Travis,

very sorry indeed to read about your loss. I've been through this a few times myself and it has always been heartbreaking. Nevertheless, even such a difficult decision you've had to face is better than any prolonged pain a beloved friend might have to go through. Malcom will be in a better place and who knows, he might be just having a nice conversation with Max and Michael - despite the fact that their mother tongue was German...at least when communicating with human beings.

Wolfram

Next to losing a family member there is nothing tougher than losing a family pet. I have lost 3 dogs in my lifetime and it never gets any easier. Get another puppy to take his place and you will feel so much better for it.

Travis, you and your family have my deepest condolences.

Mike

Travis, you gave a big ol' pet a great home and lots of love, and in the end, the best final gift you could give to an old friend.

God Bless Malcom and you and your Family. You will survive, but there will be heartache. You're a good man.

There are many pet lovers and friends on this Forum, you have all of our sympathies.

Michael

My sympathies as well, Travis. Malcolm is in a better place now; you indeed did the best thing for him, no matter how painful it was.

Our pets are our family members...likewise for my cats. Rusty passed away this past February (cancerous mass in his stomach that took him from us a month after discovery), so I fully understand what it is you're going through. They're not just pets, they're our fur buddies, always there to greet us after a hard day, always showing us love and affection, and at times never giving us a moment's rest (gotta love 'em for that)...I wouldn't trade their memories for anything in the world!

And what fond memories we all share of our beloved pets passed on...

R.I.P., Malcolm.

post-11084-13819334561698_thumb.jpg

What can be said that hasn't already been posted....hence the reason I bought a parrot, in hopes it would outlive me. But alas, birds are so vulnerable to disease and infections and it is especially hard when they parish in your arms. Indeed, a helpless feeling!

I house-sit for a couple friends when they go out of town, and even when a 15 year old beagle passed on last year, I was emotionally upset. Do animals actually fill a void in our lives?

U betcha! Only time can heel your wounds, so best wishes to you and your family