Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Sorry to hear about this, but it was the right thing to do. A 1% chance is very little for what Malcolm would have had to go thru for many months.

I know that doesnt make it any easier, but at least you had him for the time you did.

• Moderators

Kelly and I are overwhelmed by all of your well wishes and thoughts of encouragement. Thank you all for taking the time to let us know you were thinking of us. It has helped a great deal, I cant begin to tell you.

I am also feeling a bit guilty for posting our bad news when a few of you have also lost pets recently. While Malcolm seemed to be loved by everyone who met him, I am sure your pets were the same way, and we are sorry for your loss as well.

Today was a bit better for me, and was helped a great deal by reading your responses throughout the day, some while I was in court. It is still very hard on Kelly and I know it is going to take a very long time for her.

James, we had never seen those photos, they were great! The one of you and Malcolm captures him in his typical MO, he just sucked people in with his face, and once he had you he would plop down on the ground and have you rubbing his stomach. From there he would start whapping you with his paw (which really hurt) if you quit.

Thank you all again,

Travis

• Moderators

Travis, I too am very saddened to hear about this. Eyes watering as I'm typing. Our dogs are our family also and I know how it absolutely kills me to see them suffer. I can relate with your sense of loss.

I might ask... was Malc a Great Pyranease (sp?). Tis what he looks like to me and if so, GEEZ, those dogs are monsters!! (even if he's not he looks like a monster!)

Again, my heartfelt condolences.

[:(]

Richard

Richard,

Yes he was indeed a Great Pyrenees, in Europe they are called a Pyrenees Mountain Dog. While not common in Texas, a lot of folks know the breed here because they are used on goat and sheep ranches to protect the herd. They kill coyotes with ease. When we took him to Los Angeles on a visit to Kellys mother, it did not seem like anyone there had seen one before. When I would take him for a walk just off of Wilshire, without exaggeration, a car would pull up and stop every 5 minutes or so and ask what kind of dog he was.

What was really funny to see, regardless of where we were, is parents with small children. If they saw him coming they would kind of have to hold there kids back because they were somehow naturally drawn to him. I think it is because he looked like a giant stuffed polar bear. I would tell the parents it was ok, he loves children, and with some hesitation they would tell there child ok and they would run up to him and want to kiss his face. They would pet him and look back at there parents with a look like "see, I told you it was cool." There was only one child, a little girl, about 3 years old, that was afraid of him. Her mom said that she was afraid of all dogs because she was bitten by one. Malcolm towered over her and her mom had grabbed her up in her arms. I had Malcolm lay down on the ground and told the mom she could put her daughter down that she wouldnt be afraid. The mom reluctantly did so, and the girl looked at him and he immediately dropped his head down between his two front paws and gave her his patented sad eye look. The little girl ran out of her moms hands up to Malcolm and started rubbing his head. She gave out a big giggle when she felt his soft fur and then she looked back and smiled at her mom. Her mom looked at me with a tear in her eye and mouthed "thank you" and all I could say was "dont thank me, thank him" and she did.

He just knew. He knew who was afraid of him and, if he wanted to, make them unafraid. He also knew when it was time to make people leery and keep them that way.

Ah dang, you got me going again.

Travis

• Moderators

Very sorry to hear about Malcolm. After we failed at treating cancer in one of our cats we determined that we'd never again put one of our pets through the misery of extreme medicine. They don't understand but they do feel. Since we have lost many fine pets and we felt better for the deed. The decision is hard but it is the correct one.

Oscarsear,

You are the only person I know that actually went the route of chemo on a pet. I really appreciated your comment about this. While the Vets did not push this option on us in any way, they did, as they should, say that it was an option. You tend to want to latch onto any hope and we just were not sure, but it sounded like a very trying course for Malcolm just so we could have the possibility of having him around for a little while longer. But you never know. Your comment about never again going the route of using extreme medicine has really helped me with our decision. I know, more then ever, it was the right one.

Thank you for sharing this with us, it truly has helped.

Travis

• Moderators

Travis,

I am also sorry to hear about Malcome, sorry for your loss.These threads get me crying. I hate that. But I want to join in in telling you that we understand. That you are not alone in this.

I have a big old boy also. This year his coat changed and his hips... Well, you know how our big boys pay for their size. I'm getting older too, this bum's me out also. <laughs quietly>

ploly why I get crying... Deep breath, moving on...

It takes me months to get over this kind of loss (when I lose a dog.) I think I might just be a big kitty. ~Noah

Noah,

What kind of dog do you have?

Travis

• Moderators

Travis,

I'm very sorry for Kelly and your loss. They are family and it sounds like he was a close as any living being could be to you.

I have been there in grief that to me, didn't make sence.

I hope you will read this if not already.

www.rainbowbridge.com/poem.htm

Phil

Phil,

Interesting you should post that, I read it for the first time . . . on Sat. In "the "room" they had for us to be with Malcolm to say goodbye, they had that poem on one of the walls. My wife and I both read it and there is a reason they have it up there, it helps. Thank you for having the thought to suggest it, just seeing the link reminded me of the comforting words it contains.

Travis

Hi Travis,

This big boy is a rescued mutt. Part golden retriever part Sheppard all good dog.

All my dogs are/were rescues. At one point i was up to seven here. But rescued dogs have medical problems and I am down to two now.

I lost 5 friends over the last eight years.

It's been hard but good, my life has been enriched by those guys... ~Noah

post-26147-13819334567398_thumb.jpg

Rainbow Bridge will bring a tear to your eye......................It's been mentioned here already, but I must comment.......Animal rescue or shelters is the only place I will go for a dog anymore. My Boxer has been, quite frankly, a gift from God, and the shelters are full of unwanted, for whatever reason, dogs and cats. Whatever help can be shown these animals is better than putting them asleep. In this Throw away society helping these animals is the right thing to do, along with neutering, and spaying. So just give it a thought before buying a puppy, or kitten, take a trip to the shelter, and take a look, you never know, you could get lucky like me.................

The famous Chance Maroo a 110 pound Chesapeake took ill due to stroke when Karen and I were on vacation in Februaryand the elder kids (of 23 and 19) had to take care of puttin him to sleep on their own for the first time.

I am sad he is gone and I was not there, but it was like his gift to us to train the human kids.

Attached is a big file of our new Chessie. I wanted a rescue Chessie and the kids wanted housebreaking for some reason. They won. :)

Though it was time for a happy picture.

Condolences.

Rick

Shamus and family 5-07.pdf

Travis,

Really sorry to hear of your loss. We love our animals too and it is really hard when you lose one since they are part of the family. You did the right thing so Malcolm wouldn't suffer. You gave him a fine home. That's all you can do.

Travis,

Sorry to hear of your family's loss but the memories will never cease. The story of the little girl who was no longer afraid is a fantastic memory and you will take that with you forever.

Barry

Malcom was truly a special dog to help that little girl with her fear. That is a very tenderhearted story...