who's heard la scala II's?

jdm56

...and how do they compare to klipschorns? I owned AK3 k-horns for six years, so I'm familiar with their sound. Other than the bass difference, do the new la scala's sound better? Worse? About the same? Help me out here! I'll probably never have an opportunity to hear a pair, but I think I want'em anyway. But it's pretty hard to drop $5500 on speakers I've never actually heard.[8-)]

• Moderators

We heard the LaScala IIs in Hope. Get them....you won't be sorry. I actually thought they sounded better than the LaScalas we held for Michael, which we did listen to pretty often. The bass is a major improvement. The craftmanship on the LaScala IIs, like all other Heritage speakers is superior. The new LaScala IIs look like a piece of fine furniture. The pair we auditioned in Hope were walnut and looked just as awesome as they sounded.

If I am not mistaken the LaScala IIs also employ the use of the Tractix horn...if I am incorrect I am sure someone will correct me.[:S]

What are you waiting for....go ahead and place your order...[:D] They are difinitely "keepers".[:D]

Klipsch products specs are showing the II has the same horns and drivers as the La Scalas made in 2005.

Tweeter K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm
compression driver

Midrange K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm
compression driver and mid frequency Exponential Horn

Woofer K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone /
folded horn-loaded

...and how do they compare to klipschorns? I owned AK3 k-horns for six years, so I'm familiar with their sound. Other than the bass difference, do the new la scala's sound better? Worse? About the same? Help me out here! I'll probably never have an opportunity to hear a pair, but I think I want'em anyway. But it's pretty hard to drop $5500 on speakers I've never actually heard.[8-)]

I'd say get them also HOWEVER (and everyone knew this would be coming [*-)]) if you're going to spend that kind of change (and I applaude a new purchase as opposed to buying used) but you might want to look into the Jubilees. Yes a bit more money but some might suggest, a TON more sound. You know how "big" your Khorns sounded, well the Jubilees can sound even bigger than that.

Having owned LaScalas for 28 years and also a pair of AK3 Khorns let me suggest to you that you will not be disappointed if you look into this.

That said, how cool is it that Ralph in London (England) and Bob in Washington state and I believe DeanG (Dayton) all bought a pair without ever having heard them!

[Y]

I have heard these several times now.. The new ones sound (uber) fantastic...the old ones were pretty darn fantastic too.

What everyone feels is some more bass, what seems to be a MUCH smoother x over from lows to highs... etc. The La Scala group has always appreciated that the La Scala's are in your face, fast, dynamic as all get out, clean, just amazing speakers.... The bigger side walls in MDF tend not to ring so your getting cleaner bass without anything being added.. vibration wise.

I am not so sure it is a quantum leap in the bass it is not.. If you need these for HT you will need a sub anyhow...

The specs above are right..

The Tweeter is the new K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

the Midrange Is also new K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver and mid frequency Exponential Horn. (Still exponential)

It carries the new tweeters and Mid Drivers that the newer K horns have and that is smoother n better.. I did the AK-4 upgrade on my k horns.. it is quite an improvement yes.

One of the biggest differences is, of course, in the appearance. These are just down right beautiful now! Even a WAF might learn to live with em at this stage. Mark Kaufman, Roy Delgado, Jim Hunter (Who ever else, I apologies up front who had their input into them...) did an outstanding job re issuing these! Just amazing IMO.

Then again, your talking to a guy that uses 7 of them (Older La Scala's) in a HT, so I am biased too.. hahahahaha

I prefer the Lascala in almost all situations over anything I have heard to date. I have heard Klipschorns in one situation where I thought they really shined. I have yet to hear the Jubs but the things are so butt ugly I seriously doubt my visual perception could get me past the theater commercial over sized look. They maybe great but they can't be nearly as great as most here say they are to me it would have to mean all other klipsch speakers were complete garbage.

Craig

Thanks for the input, folks. Keep it coming, please!

OK, are the "jubes" the speakers in Dean G's avatar? If so, I'm afraid I'd have to go with Craig on those. Too big, too ugly, too industrial, too MUCH! I could weasel out and say the wife would never allow them in our house, but the truth is I would never allow them in our house either. No offence to y'all who have'em and love'em. I'm sure they sound marvelous, but I prefer something a bit more conservative and domesticated. I think La Scala II's are just the ticket.

• Moderators

jdm,

I couldn't agree with you more. Has your wife seen the photographs of the LaScala IIs?

I was really impressed with the walnut finish LaScala IIs we saw in Hope. They were really nice looking, more like furniture than speakers.

La Scala IIs in Cherry: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542999091

in Walnut (non-grain matched): http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542999726

in Black Ash: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542999821

The non-grain matched speakers are less expensive. See the list at the left side of the Vann's page.

jdm,

I couldn't agree with you more. Has your wife seen the photographs of the LaScala IIs?

I was really impressed with the walnut finish LaScala IIs we saw in Hope. They were really nice looking, more like furniture than speakers.

Has my wife seen La Scala II photos? Funny you should ask...I have a lovely cherry-finished LS2 picture on my desktop that I insisted she check out a few days ago. Not much reaction, really. She liked the oak cornwalls we had from '85-'93 (so did I). I really wish the new stuff was available in oak as practically everything in our house is oak. Guess I'll have to wait ten years 'till oak comes back around in style![:)] But I do like the la scala II's in walnut best of the current finishes, I think. At least, from what I can tell from the pictures I've been able to find.

jdm,

Has my wife seen La Scala II photos? Funny you should ask...I have a lovely cherry-finished LS2 picture on my desktop that I insisted she check out a few days ago. Not much reaction, really. She liked the oak cornwalls we had from '85-'93 (so did I). I really wish the new stuff was available in oak as practically everything in our house is oak. Guess I'll have to wait ten years 'till oak comes back around in style![:)] But I do like the la scala II's in walnut best of the current finishes, I think. At least, from what I can tell from the pictures I've been able to find.

Ditto on the Oak thing.

I'll add my very favorable comments on the LaScala II's -- I personally think the AK-4/AL-4 series have excellent blending beteween the drivers (though I guess not everyone agrees). The bass is great to the bottom of its range, and you'll only miss the lowest string bass and organ tones below about F or G. Very smooth, clear, musical, etc.

Larry

They maybe great but they can't be nearly as great as most here say they are to me it would have to mean all other klipsch speakers were complete garbage.

Given the Khorn has 3 times the distortion, maybe the plug uglies are a significant upgrade??

[*-)]

Thanks for the input, folks. Keep it coming, please!

OK, are the "jubes" the speakers in Dean G's avatar? If so, I'm afraid I'd have to go with Craig on those. Too big, too ugly, too industrial, too MUCH! I could weasel out and say the wife would never allow them in our house, but the truth is I would never allow them in our house either. No offence to y'all who have'em and love'em. I'm sure they sound marvelous, but I prefer something a bit more conservative and domesticated. I think La Scala II's are just the ticket.

What you are looking at and responding to is one incarnation of a Jubilee. There are also a number of variants.

One is with a smaller top section (the K510 driver, & not the K402 which you are referring to). This could easily be put in a cabinet by a DIYer (or a cabinet maker) and would have roughly the same dimensions as the top of K-Horn.

There are probably ways to "disguise" the larger K402 driver also. If one put the effort & creativity into it.

The bottom section is industrial looking since it is meant to be placed behind a movie screen. The factory may be able to manufacture this with some nicer hardwood plywood. I believe that some are pursuing this option. You would still want to add some grill cloth at the very least.

As a possibility, you should really have a look at the reproduction (clone) that Rigma built. The bass bin is absolutely beautiful. At this point he has not dressed up the top section. He has a very clean cabinet with grill cloth and a very nice veneer on the front and dressed up some of the horizontal surfaces and completed it with a nice coat of paint. It really is remarkable.

But after looking at his work (or what Gill and others have done), I think that could give you sufficient inspiration to figure out a way to get it to "work" in your own situation. Yes, it is a big cabinet. However you are only looking at it in its rawest form, which some can happily live with BTW.

The design that went into the Jubilee and the consequent improvement in sound should make one look twice before rejecting it out of hand.

Just my thought,

-Tom