m00n funnie

m00n

Got this in an email, thought it was funny, though I'd pass it along.

Learn Chineese in 5 minutes. An English to Chineese translation.

English<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Chinese

That's not right

Sum Ting Wong

Are you harboring a fugitive?

Hu Yu Hai Ding

See me ASAP

Kum Hia Nao

Stupid Man

Dum Fvk

Small Horse

Tai Ni Po Ni

Did you go to the beach?

Wai Yu So Tan

I bumped into a coffee table

Ai Bang Mai Fu Kin Ni

I think you need a face lift

Chin Tu Fat

It's very dark in here

Wai So Dim

I thought you were on a diet

Wai Yu Mun Ching

This is a tow away zone

No Pah King

Our meeting is scheduled for next week

Wai Yu Kum Nao

Staying out of sight

Lei Ying Lo

He's cleaning his automobile

Wa Shing Ka

Your body odor is offensive

Yu Stin Ki Pu

Great

Fa Kin Su Pa

Got this in an email, thought it was funny, though I'd pass it along.

Learn Chineese in 5 minutes. An English to Chineese translation.

English<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Chinese

That's not right

Sum Ting Wong

Are you harboring a fugitive?

Hu Yu Hai Ding

See me ASAP

Kum Hia Nao

Stupid Man

Dum Fvk

Small Horse

Tai Ni Po Ni

Did you go to the beach?

Wai Yu So Tan

I bumped into a coffee table

Ai Bang Mai Fu Kin Ni

I think you need a face lift

Chin Tu Fat

It's very dark in here

Wai So Dim

I thought you were on a diet

Wai Yu Mun Ching

This is a tow away zone

No Pah King

Our meeting is scheduled for next week

Wai Yu Kum Nao

Staying out of sight

Lei Ying Lo

He's cleaning his automobile

Wa Shing Ka

Your body odor is offensive

Yu Stin Ki Pu

Great

Fa Kin Su Pa

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!! Thanks, Moon!

Woman ordering at Chinese restaurant. I would like Sum Yung Gai.

-David

I'll risk being a prig here.

The word-play could be seen as a mockery of our Oriental friends. So it has no place here on the very high class forum seen around the world. Much of the merit of the forum stems from what we, in addition to what Klipsch (Inc.), present.

I'm a bit sensitive. Near the end of college days there was a Chinese fellow with limited English in the engineering program. Uncommon in those days.

I was astonished and horrified that he was openly mocked by a loudmouth American student who had followers who yucked along. Yes, I did take the Chinese fellow under my wing as much as possible (not to be self serving).

'Nuff said,

Gil

The word-play could be seen as a mockery of our Oriental friends. So it has no place here on the very high class forum seen around the world. Much of the merit of the forum stems from what we, in addition to what Klipsch (Inc.), present.

I'm a bit sensitive. Near the end of college days there was a Chinese fellow with limited English in the engineering program. Uncommon in those days.

I was astonished and horrified that he was openly mocked by a loudmouth American student who had followers who yucked along. Yes, I did take the Chinese fellow under my wing as much as possible (not to be self serving).

'Nuff said,

Gil

Did we forget our chill pill?

'Nuff said,

Gil

Baloney, I sent it my Chinese interpretor and she loved it. She sent it around herself. I've endured my fair share of good natured ribbing and outright howls of laughter as I try to pick up some limited Mandarin, it's all in good fun. Good for you for supporting your Chinese friend in the face of stupid dunderheads, but this is just a play on language

'Nuff said,

Gil

Your sensitivity is appreciated, but this joke has been around for a while and I was actually sent it by a Chinese friend some years ago. She seemed to find it humourous, not offensive. All the same, potentially offensive stuff doesn't belong on the forum.

All the same, potentially offensive stuff doesn't belong on the forum.

That's nothing dood. Nothing.

Agreed, it was pretty innocuous, but any sort of racial stuff is a particularly touchy area for many folks.

Agreed, it was pretty innocuous, but any sort of racial stuff is a particularly touchy area for many folks.

That's right Pat, so everyone listen up. No more French or Irish jokes![^o)]

That's right Pat, so everyone listen up. No more French or Irish jokes![^o)]

Not even any Newfie jokes?

The word-play could be seen as a mockery of our Oriental friends.  So it has no place here on the very high class forum seen around the world.  Much of the merit of the forum stems from what we, in addition to what Klipsch (Inc.), present.

I'm a bit sensitive.  Near the end of college days there was a Chinese fellow with limited English in the engineering program.   Uncommon in those days.

I was astonished and horrified that he was openly mocked by a loudmouth American student who had followers who yucked along.  Yes, I did take the Chinese fellow under my wing as much as possible (not to be self serving).

'Nuff said,

Gil

So hard to be PC these days...

Perceptions and connotations

Although oriental is generally considered a neutral term in the United Kingdom, other parts of the Commonwealth and most of Europe,[citation needed] there is some controversy regarding the connotations and implications of the term in North America. According to Abdurrahman R. Squires "politically correct terms have taken the place of the word 'Orientalism'". [1] According to The Official Politically Correct Dictionary and Handbook the term is offensive and should be avoided. [2]

While a number of reference works used in the United States describe Oriental as pejorative, antiquated or offensive in some instances, the American Heritage Book of English Usage notes that

It is worth remembering, though, that Oriental is not an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. It is most objectionable in contemporary contexts and when used as a noun, as in "the appointment of an Oriental to head the commission". In these cases Asian (or a more specific term such as Vietnamese, Korean, or Asian American, if appropriate) is the only acceptable term. But in certain historical contexts, or when its exotic connotations are integral to the topic, Oriental remains a useful term.[3]

Random House's Guide to Sensitive Language states "Other words (e.g., Oriental, colored) are outdated or inaccurate." This Guide to Sensitive Language suggests the use of "Asian or more specific designation such as Pacific Islander, Chinese American, [or] Korean." [4]Merriam-Webster describes the term as "sometimes offensive," Encarta states that when the term is used as a noun it is considered " a highly offensive term for somebody from East Asia" However, the same reference also defines the adjectival usage as "relating to East Asia (dated)" or "high quality".

[edit]Regional variations

Major objections to the use of the word "Oriental" to describe people are chiefly limited to North America. Its use is not controversial inEurope, where the word is neutral and in widespread usage[citation needed]. In France the terms "l'Occident" and "l'Orient" are used without any negative associations in academic contexts. In Europe the term is often used to describe such things as the East's cuisine and goods, ancient culture, and religions, at times to denote an exotic quality with upmarket or mildly positive connotations. In the UK the term "Asian" has become almost exclusively tied to the Indian subcontinent, as evidenced through BBC Asian Network, a radio station of the BBC devoted to the British Asian community.

Those who believe the term is derogatory or archaic prefer to employ geographical terms for people and places typically described byoriental, e.g., South Asia, East Asia, and South-East Asia. Although Far Eastern is considered more politically correct than Oriental, East Asian is preferred because some believe it to be significantly less Eurocentric.[citation needed] Other alternative terms include Asia and the Pacific or the Pacific Rim or the Pacific Basin.

With regard to the now antiquated sense of the Orient, referring to the wider Islamic region, the Orientalist Marshall Hogdson tried to introduce several terms[citation needed], including Nile-to-Oxus. None of these have stuck, however.

It gets confusing. You can call someone from Britain a "Brit", an Australian an "Aussie", but don't call a Japanese person a "Jap". And someone from Pakistan? Don't even go there!

The thing is, "Brit" and "Aussie" have never been used as insults.

• Moderators

Just so I don't get confused, what about Redneck, Coonass, or Hillbilly?

I have no problem being called a Coonass, and living in Mississippi for 8 years I guess now I am a Cooneck, or Redass ? We live to far south to really know about Hillbilly's, but I think there closer to a Redneck than a Coonass ?

Just so I don't get confused, what about Redneck, Coonass, or Hillbilly?

I have no problem being called a Coonass, and living in Mississippi for 8 years I guess now I am a Cooneck, or Redass ? We live to far south to really know about Hillbilly's, but I think there closer to a Redneck than a Coonass ?

Anything with the word 'coon' in it has a very real possiblily of being taken the wrong way, whether you mean it to or not.