College Football!!!!

PhilMays

I would go to the battle of the Carolina's, but I'm doing a camping "Spookoree" cub scout camping trip with my son. 1st one he's ever been on and even if Carolina wins (careful) this trip trumps that 10-to-1.

I just hope he doesn't pee or poop in the tent! That's my job!

and I will watch my little girl play tennis....much better

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That LSU team is a bunch of bullies. I doubt anyone's going to knock them off"

Hey now....! We are pretty proud of LSU!

but they are cheap shot artists. Did you see the uppercut Glen Dorsey gave the UF O-lineman (would have been a TKO in a boxing match) and the other guy that rolled under Tebow from behind while he was out of bounds? Listen, we needed LSU to beat Florida so I'm really glad they did but dayumm. They speared our guy in the back of the neck 5 seconds after he was down, ripped our quarterbacks helmet off then drilled him afterwards, chop blocked....you name it.

They're good but downright dirty as heII

how about the AR. player who ripped off a guys helmet and hit him in the head with it? I don't approve, but girls, WELCOME TO THE SEC!!!!

If you haven't seen this article you should take time to read it. It is from Charleston, SC so this guy didn't have to write this, he wanted to.

GW

LSU, the team you want your team to be

By Ken Burger <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Post and Courier

Monday, October 8, 2007

Every now and then you get a glimpse of how this game of college football is supposed to be played. If you watched the Florida-LSU game late Saturday night, you saw the team you want your team to be.

LSU, now the undisputed top team in the land after Southern Cal fell to Stanford, showed a stadium stuffed with more than 90,000 rabid Bayou Bengals fans and a national television audience why the Tigers are so good.

Yes, they have excellent players. And, yes, they have tradition and fan support and all the amenities needed to rise above the crowded field of contenders whose fans like to run around thrusting their index finger in the air and claiming to be Number One.

But they also have Les Miles, perhaps the best football coach in the country. At least he was Saturday night.

All you had to see was the fourth quarter of this Southeastern Conference showdown against the former national champion Gators to see what good, tough, confident coaching means to a football program.

It was, in a compound sentence, one of the best performances you could hope for in one of the biggest games of the year under the most intense pressure you can imagine.

And the Tigers made it look easy.

Beauty and bravery

While LSU fans were stunned when Florida jumped out to an early 10-0 lead, Miles just clinched that strong jaw of his on the sideline, pulled his hat down tighter on his head and watched with an understanding determination.

When interviewed coming off the field at halftime, he hardly seemed frightened by the prospects of losing. Instead, he stated exactly what his team needed to do and would do in the second half. Make more tackles and score more points.

He didn't mention take more chances, but that apparently comes with the territory if you want to be Number One.

Down 10 points with the clock running against them, the Tigers pulled out all the stops. They faked a field goal that set up a touchdown. Then, needing only a field goal to tie and extend the game to overtime, Miles wanted no part of it. He went for the victory, going for it on two critical,

fourth-quarter, fourth-down situations, making it every time, barely.

The final drive, behind the gutsy running of Jacob Hester, that gave LSU its 28-24 victory with just over a minute remaining in the game was a thing of absolutely beauty and bravery.

Not only did starting quarterback Matt Flynn move his team with confidence, but also Miles was bold enough to bring in his back-up quarterback, sophomore Ryan Perilloux, in critical situations to give him the kind of steely experience you can only receive in the heat of battle.

Guts and glory

To watch LSU pull off that final, 15-play, 60-yard, 8-minute, game-winning, risk-taking drive brought college football fans to the edge of their seats all across the nation.

To witness this excellent example of guts and glory after most fans had spent the day watching their favorite teams flounder in the face of adversity was a teaching moment.

If you weren't an LSU fan or a Les Miles fan before Saturday night's phenomenal finish you probably are now.

With all due respect to the Florida Gators, who played a heck of a football game, this LSU victory gave us all a glimpse of what it means to have a great team and a great coach and how the two combine to win championships.

There was no second-guessing, no what-ifs, no question, no doubt. That final drive should be mandatory in film rooms across the nation.

Every head coach should watch it over and over again just to see how the game is supposed to be played, with confidence and passion instead of caution and fear of losing.

Reach Ken Burger at 937-5598 kburger@postandcourier.com

Hate to break it to you , but anyone from Charleston will tell you that Burger's a moron.

Live by the cheap shot, die by the cheap shot. That crap cost them this time. Les Miles is a dipshlt.

Well I'm not from West VA so I appreciate your making that point known to all. You obviously must know Les Miles very well too and I appreciate you informing us of that fact as well. Oh and by the way, with all of the intricate knowledge of the game of football you appear to have I think you missed your calling in life. [D]

Well I'm not from West VA so I appreciate your making that point known to all. You obviously must know Les Miles very well too and I appreciate you informing us of that fact as well. Oh and by the way, with all of the intricate knowledge of the game of football you appear to have I think you missed your calling in life. [D]

another bitter corndog

I used to be an NFL fan, but have lost interest over the years. I guess it's because these guys are supposed to be super athletes and they get paid for it.

College athletics... something more real about it. not exactly pure, but there is something about it.

Your so good with the vernacular, I'm impressed.

thanks for the compliment, but I don't know nothin' 'bout no doctorin' ner medicatin'.

Flattery will get you nowhere!

....ner common courtesy, ner manners, ner respect for others; you've never met; Reminds me of the parent sitting in the stands that used to yell at the umpire when their kid struck out.

Flatulence will get you noticed!

[D]

Your so good with the vernacular, I'm impressed.

thanks for the compliment, but I don't know nothin' 'bout no doctorin' ner medicatin'.

Flattery will get you nowhere!

....ner common courtesy, ner manners, ner respect for others; you've never met; Reminds me of the parent sitting in the stands that used to yell at the umpire when their kid struck out.

Flatulence will get you noticed!

[D]

you're taking that loss kinda hard there corndog. it's ok bro, it's just a game.

and South Carolina #6 in the BCS standings

I quit posting here since Georgia fell down. They almost lost again to Vandy last night. Did you see Mark Richt melt down after the game at midfield and start shoving his players for dancing on the Vandy "V" at midfield? The Vandy coach ran over to shake hands and the cops were there, the ESPN girl was there, everyone looked confused.....and Mark Richt did a Jeckyl/Hyde and tried to turn nice for all of that. He apologized to the Vandy fans publicly on ESPN. That was Georgia's best highlight.