JubScala?

Islander

jw.. how do you like the direct radiator with the 510's? I think that is a KPT 904 right?

I have sooo many questions.....

How would the 402 sound on that set up too??

I am salivating here!

Did you prefer the 904 or 353's?

You know, if you do not like those..and get jube bottoms... Let's talk!

On paper those were my first choice, but I did not think consumers could get those?

Roger.

This is an incomplete setup. Reason being is that I can't biamp from here unless I want to clutter up the room. No passive available.

What is a 353?

I don't ever rule out a good bass reflex system. These KPT-904 are bass machines in a different way then the jub.

None of this stuff is hooked up right now. But...with a make shift network and active Parametric EQ....the K510 does just what It did before when it was sitting on my custom dbb's. The horn has surprising sound from such a small horn.....The "sparrow" (vs the "eagle"). Both of these horns come as a standard setup on top of the Kpt-904-LF.

I got these basically used. Look barely used. Not a scratch on them. Thanks Speakerfritz for that.

Well....I've got "lists" for a lot of stuff I have. I guess I'll put you first on that list.

Yea...we can talk....are you wanting to put this with the la scala theatre. If behind the screen, a passive is available.

jc

jc, lol. Your wife is still trying to sell the house right?

Oh man yea........she more than me wants a huge man room to keep me out of new house mainstream circulation. Believe it or not.....it may very well end up as a surround MWM sytem. We've talked.....suits her....

gonna have the family "theater" in a different room.

So right now...I'm floating in audio dorkspace.

jc

So would she be happier if you tipped the 402s on their sides? Much tidier looking...

A husband that spends his time and money at home? That's a good thing. Her golf widow friends probably envy her.

Y'know, maybe some decorator grille cloth on the fronts of those 904s would bump up the WAF to a tolerable level.

Hey jc

Have you tried the 904 LF on it's side with the K402 on top to see how that looks and sounds?

mike tnSmile

YES! I have thought of that. I didn't know if a side by side woofer config might have some sort of comb filtering or cancelation going on. Once I get them up and running, I may run some curves (yes with room involvement) to see if there are issues with that.

If that is the case...I wonder if the 15" inch bass reflex quad would work on it's side. Put a custom grill on the bass bin and turn it horizontal...and that would look pretty cool.

jc

post-16499-1381936063647_thumb.jpg

wow you got them used? Ok so you can ballpark a price then?

Nice to have a friend like speakerfritz.. A rare find.. IMO.

The 535 is the same top (510) with a 1 - 15" bottom yours have 2 - 15" woofers in the 904's

There is a passive available too, just so you know from Klipsch.

None of it hooked up..... because?

My interest comes from my neighbors house.. He has 3 of the 535's up front 4 subs..(2 ka 1000 amps and 4 ksw 120's...) I have not heard it..(His is not hooked up either...) But my gut tells me it is just gonna rock! He got these after hearing my theater and I so impressed with him to go three of the same speakers up front... and GO BIG! He did.. LOL

Claude.

To me a curve only tells part of the story. The "presence" or sound of 200Hz from one speaker may look similar on curve but differ subjectively to my listening.

I agree the jub has better representation of a lot of categories vs the LS 2 bass bin.....but I'm still surprised off and on with the speedy, hard-hittin bass of the scala.

Of course the MWM is the bomb I'm waiting to setup but My wife may drop a Bomb on me if I put them in my house right now. She just had a healthy freak out session last night when I put a K402 on my KPT-904-LF. I doubt sliding a MWM under the K402 is a good idea right now.

jc

I'm laughing as I type this, but remember, it's only temporary. Like the wise man once said: "This, too, shall pass."

Hey jc

Have you tried the 904 LF on it's side with the K402 on top to see how that looks and sounds?

mike tnSmile

YES! I have thought of that. I didn't know if a side by side woofer config might have some sort of comb filtering or cancelation going on. Once I get them up and running, I may run some curves (yes with room involvement) to see if there are issues with that.

If that is the case...I wonder if the 15" inch bass reflex quad would work on it's side. Put a custom grill on the bass bin and turn it horizontal...and that would look pretty cool.

jc

That would be pretty cool looking. I remember reading a Don Keele paper where he found a Quad 15" woofer setup in a bass reflex cab to be just as efficient as a horn with a single 15" with better bandwidth for a given box size. Ah, the trade-offs.

Nice to have a friend like speakerfritz.. A rare find.. IMO.

Speakerfritz rocks. He's responsible for my having K43's in my MWM's. I think when I make my JubScalas (eventually), I will keep the MWM's underneath and just mount the Scala on the inside and the K-402's on the outside. I will get rid of the K-400's. The 402's will be competing with the JBL 2404's at the very top, so I may keep those. Digital Crossovers are more affordable than passives and I like the time delay. I got a poor man's JubScala (Peavey FH1/EV9040/DH1A in the office with Active (my R&D system). But it will have to wait until I have the projector set up. The MWM's have a rising bass response blow 120 Hz and a sharp cutoff at about 45 Hz. with room loading. I think I may get some 884's or design my own subs. I really want to get 12-48 Hz. response, and that will requre LOTS of cone area and lots of air in the boxes.....2009?

I will be adding 3/4 Plywood to the Scala sidewalls before I repaint them all black, along with that section of the room, so they all "dissapear" during movies. so many projects, so little time.

I got a poor man's JubScala (Peavey FH1/EV9040/DH1A in the office with Active (my R&D system).

That's just too funny, Claude. Pretty large system for the office.Indifferent

Yes it, but it sure does sound good. The active PEQ and time delay on the treble section brings it home.

I will be adding 3/4 Plywood to the Scala sidewalls before I repaint them all black, along with that section of the room, so they all "dissapear" during movies. so many projects, so little time.

Let us know how much of an improvement the double sidewalls give. I'm thinking of freshening up the appearance of the cabinets of my La Scalas at some point and that would be a logical time to add the second layer of plywood.

You know this thread has been about K510, K402, scalas, KPT bass bins.

I have some custom make shift networks here. My K402's aren't hooled up. I still have a K510/K69 on a KPT-904-LF.

Anyway, my stepfather was over tonight getting ready to watch some NC state basketball on the tube in the basement.

I played some tunes mono on the KPT/510 system. Then played the same tunes stereo on the LS II's.

He basically liked the mono KPT system the best. He has little interest in audio, but said.......

"When you get both those big horns hooked up (K402), call me back over here....I want to hear that."

jc