JubScala?

Islander

I have most of the data that Dennis posted about the bass mod, including the filter at the front of the power amp. Nice to do that on the Crown...

I made the 3D drawing of the mod, and can give you dimensions, but it is just a box with the ports in it. Three quarter inch material (mdf or ply), ten inches tall, to match the width and depth of the LS. You have the port sizes to go with it. I'll dig out the details and email them to you.

Bruce

Thankyou Bruce,

How critical is the cubic inches inside? IS there a certain volume the mod is shooting for?

For example, if the 10 inch tall box is made out of 5/8 inch, 1/2 inch ply, 7/8 inch or whatever, is the difference critical enough to warrant only using 3/4 inch ply? Since I'll have the large horns on top, 3/4 sounds like the way to go for the needed strength and additional weight.

Have a great day.

Wrinkles

Getting back to the JubScala project, I picked up the second amp a few weeks ago, the Dx38 arrived 10 days ago and the K510/K-69A horn/tweeter combos are in transit. If all goes according to plan, I'll be listening to JubScalas next weekend!

And to think this all started last month when a guy offered me a lightly used power amp to match the one I'm already using. "What do I need a second amp for? Backup in case the first one fails? No, I'm not worried about that. Hmm, he used a pair of them to bi-amp his B&Ws. Maybe I could bi-amp my La Scalas..."

Santa came early. Just like the missus said he could.

The Altec 511s and the JBL 2404s are removed. They will not be coming back, as long as the I have the K402s.

The K402s/K69 setup is soooo good. I have never heard better music in my house. They really sound wonderful. This was nothing short of a major jump in room filling sound quality.

I am using the Crown XTI1000s. The program for the DSP works really well. I have listened many hours since the K402s on Thursday.

LaScala owners really need to listen to this.

Thanks Roy for making this opportunity available.

Wrinkles

The K402s/K69 setup is soooo good. I have never heard better music in my house. They really sound wonderful. This was nothing short of a major jump in room filling sound quality

Ahhhhhhh, more Koolaid please... [;)]

Hi Michael,

I am happy for you. I was sure you would enjoy this new level of Klipsch excellence. The 402/K69 is pretty amazing.

You have made the first of two steps in this exciting journey. Now, save your pennies, 'cause the next step will be the Jubilee bass bin.

Santa came early. Just like the missus said he could.

The Altec 511s and the JBL 2404s are removed. They will not be coming back, as long as the I have the K402s.

The K402s/K69 setup is soooo good. I have never heard better music in my house. They really sound wonderful. This was nothing short of a major jump in room filling sound quality.

I am using the Crown XTI1000s. The program for the DSP works really well. I have listened many hours since the K402s on Thursday.

LaScala owners really need to listen to this.

Thanks Roy for making this opportunity available.

Wrinkles

i am glad that you liked the 402 winkles.

in Christ, because of God's grace,

roy

Altec 511s and JBL 2404s are a formidable combination. Can you give more details about what specifically is better with the K402s/K69? I also have 511s with 902 drivers and think they are great. So anything that would be a big improvement intrigues me.

Altec 511s and JBL 2404s are a formidable combination. Can you give more details about what specifically is better with the K402s/K69? I also have 511s with 902 drivers and think they are great. So anything that would be a big improvement intrigues me.

Comet,

Welcome to madness.

Shoot me an email. Let's talk.

Terry

terry_cruse@foundationspecialties.com

Comet, Good Question. I hope I can answer it effectively.

I have not heard the 902 drivers. Only about how gerat they are.

The day after I had heard the Jubilees, I played all the same music (over 3 hours worth) on my system comparing my memory of the details I had heard on the Jubilees to my LaScala/Altec/JBL combination. In comparison, I was very disatisfied with the sound. I began removing excess furniture, guitars hanging around, and anything that might interfere with the sound stage. I began pushing the LaScalas back towards my so-called corners. The sound really opened up and sounded the best I had ever heard it. I was thinking that maybe it was 80-85% of what I had heard the previous day on the Jubilees and that maybe, I could forget about the Jubilees. After a few days, without changing the room any, the sound or my enthusiam for what I was hearing began to wane. The stage presentation I had heard before was no more. Had I been only super-enthused with the new sound I thought I had acquired from moving the LaScalas around or was it really just never there at all at the level I thought had been hearing. The mind can play games you know. I moved around the LaScalas a bit more, tweeked on the L-pads a little, but I could not get it back. However, they still sounded pretty darn good with what I was hearing, but I kept thinking about the wow factor the Jubilees gave. The bass bin and the K402 seemed to be made for each other. To me it was the K402 horn that floated my boat. I had read in previous post about how the LaScala bass bin created a pretty good combination with the K403. The LaScala bass is what it is, predictable on the low end and lots of horn speed and punch. So, I orderd the K402 horns the next day. I also ordered the Crowns also. For anyone interested, they were the cheapest on the net at $404.00 each to my door from DJDEALS.COM in Burlington Vermont o Texas. Two weeks later I had everything up and running.

Now, I have never heard a sound stage like the K402s present. The room is completely filled with music. It is obviously the magic of the horns. I have been through open baffle( DQ10s ), electrostatic (Quad 57) and point sources (LS3/5A) and line source (Bottlehead Straight 8s). They all have been great speakers and I still have all but the Quads. Maybe, Craigslist is calling. Anyway, now I feel like the search is over. I do not even want to listen to any other speakers I can think of out there. I am a satisfied and very happy camper. The sound stage is wonderful. The reproduction of the frequencies in the K402 is very balanced and I feel the highs are just right. I may still do the bass bin mod to the LaScalas, tho.

If you get a chance, you need to listen to the K402 and K69 combination, either in the Jubilee or JubScala setup. It is that good. I really like the speed and punch of the LaScala bass bins and may not acquire the Jubilee bass bin. The LaScala does not go as low as the Jubilee bass bin.

I'll let someone who has both the JubScalas and Jubilees speak with more authority on the differences. My memory of the full jubilee particulars is fading. I might need a refresher.

My speaker search is over. WOW

Wrinkles

Wrinkles,

Thank you for your detailed and informative description. Sounds like Klipsch has come up with something that puts the Jubilee into a different league than other speakers. At some point I want to try something different than the 511/902, like the BD-Design Orphean. Now the K402/K69 has opened up another possibility. Right now I'm using an Edgarhorn 80Hz midbass horn. So JubEdgar maybe?

Terry,

Thank you for the warm welcome. There are a lot of great guys and good info on this site!