Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

You did very well.... Thanks for posting...

Thanks. I am excited; from what I am reading; these sound similar to the L 100s my Father owned 25 yrs ago.

I found a refoam kit on Ebay for $25.

These might wind up in the bedroom......

I just A-B tested them against the beloved Heresy Is.

They have LOTS of bass. (I blew off more foam from the surround..... [:D] ).

They sound really good; with pretty detailed mids (kinda bright) and highs that seem crisp;.

The Heresy sounds better; no doubt; but these might be keepers....... All for a total investment of $38.98

(Surround kits included).

Woo Hoo!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well not actually a thrift store....

Craigslist Teac A 4010 S in decent, but dirty condition. FREE. Today I cleaned the cabinet and it's pretty much perfect. I think it's mahogany. The SS face needs some attention and I have yet to run it since I have no tapes. But, the thing runs in Fwd and Rev, and both FF and Rewind. The price was well within my government cheese envelope!

Off to find tapes!

Finally! I scored a pretty nice deal today at a local yard sale.

I was going to go spend a day at the river like I usually do on these friggan hot days (today, with the humidity and like, they said it was actually around 110 degrees)

Well, while driving through that neighborhood near the river, I noticed a yard sale and saw what appeared to be some speakers. Turned out the guy had a pair of Pioneer CS-402 (or something like that), which I passed on, but he also had nice pair of KEF K140 bookshelf speakers. He was hoping that nobody would buy them, but I made an offer of $50 for them and he took the deal. Not only that, also scored a pair of some nice sweat pants for $2 and he even threw in a free watermelon!

After spending the day at the river (boy that is another story I am going to have to tell! Thing ended up getting pretty darn exciting there later in the afternoon! [:o] Have you ever seen a river rise nearly 6 feet in less than 30 seconds before?), I took these speakers home and cleaned up the dust out of them as best I could and hooked them up to my little two-channel rig down in the basement. I was really amazed at how good these things actually sounded. Yeah, they are not going to pound you with the bass, but the mid and highs was actually quite nice.

KEF-K140001Medium.jpg

KEF-K140003Medium.jpg

KEF-K140002Medium.jpg

That Cambridge Azure 640A with its 75 or so watts of power had no problem powering these things to satisfactory levels (despite thier being a somewhat ineffecient 89 dbs/watt/meter sensitivity). First, using the Pioneer Elite universal player I have in that rig, I tried a CD

Introitus - Elements:

introitus-elements.jpg

The female singer really sounded good on these things on this album. I was actually pretty impressed with how good the bass on these things actualy sounded (what bass there was). I then tried some vinyl with

Synergy - Audion:

img_2723ModifiedinGIMPImageEditor.jpg

This also sounded quite good with these speakers (granted, I am using a pretty cheap Technic table). I will have to hang on to these speakers for the time being. If I ever want to sell them, I could easily get my $50 back.

Finally! I scored a pretty nice deal today at a local yard sale.

I was going to go spend a day at the river like I usually do on these friggan hot days (today, with the humidity and like, they said it was actually around 110 degrees)

Well, while driving through that neighborhood near the river, I noticed a yard sale and saw what appeared to be some speakers. Turned out the guy had a pair of Pioneer CS-402 (or something like that), which I passed on, but he also had nice pair of KEF K140 bookshelf speakers. He was hoping that nobody would buy them, but I made an offer of $50 for them and he took the deal. Not only that, also scored a pair of some nice sweat pants for $2 and he even threw in a free watermelon!

After spending the day at the river (boy that is another story I am going to have to tell! Thing ended up getting pretty darn exciting there later in the afternoon! Surprise Have you ever seen a river rise nearly 6 feet in less than 30 seconds before?), I took these speakers home and cleaned up the dust out of them as best I could and hooked them up to my little two-channel rig down in the basement. I was really amazed at how good these things actually sounded. Yeah, they are not going to pound you with the bass, but the mid and highs was actually quite nice.

KEF-K140001Medium.jpg

KEF-K140003Medium.jpg

KEF-K140002Medium.jpg

That Cambridge Azure 640A with its 75 or so watts of power had no problem powering these things to satisfactory levels (despite thier being a somewhat ineffecient 89 dbs/watt/meter sensitivity). First, using the Pioneer Elite universal player I have in that rig, I tried a CD

Introitus - Elements:

introitus-elements.jpg

The female singer really sounded good on these things on this album. I was actually pretty impressed with how good the bass on these things actualy sounded (what bass there was). I then tried some vinyl with

Synergy - Audion:

img_2723ModifiedinGIMPImageEditor.jpg

This also sounded quite good with these speakers (granted, I am using a pretty cheap Technic table). I will have to hang on to these speakers for the time being. If I ever want to sell them, I could easily get my $50 back.

All I can say is ... "Well done."

I scored this 1950 Cab Calloway in St.Louis last weekend.

10.JPG

Extremely cool! How does it sound?

I scored this 1950 Cab Calloway in St.Louis last weekend.

Extremely cool! How does it sound?

Well it looks very clean but parts of it sound like pop corn but some very vey clean. The songs seem to be very early versions of his hits maybe the first versions. I like this version of st.james infirmary.

I recently scored a Definitve Technology Supercube III subwoofer for $50!!!!

(This routinely fetches $300+ on Ebay).

I listed it on Ebay with a low reserve and we shall see what the final price will be.

I A-B tested this versus my Emotiva..... The Emo wins for musicality; the Def Tech is great in HT.

post-14727-13819660659028_thumb.jpg

seti,

You'd love the LPs I picked up yesterday at a sidewalk sale in front of a thrift store. 8 vintage belly dancing records, one Willie Bobo, an Andre Segovia, a Poco MFSL, and a SEALED Gordon Lightfoot MFSL from '78. Not bad for $9.60!

post-3580-13819660660054_thumb.jpg

seti,

You'd love the LPs I picked up yesterday at a sidewalk sale in front of a thrift store. 8 vintage belly dancing records, one Willie Bobo, an Andre Segovia, a Poco MFSL, and a SEALED Gordon Lightfoot MFSL from '78. Not bad for $9.60!

Yeah your right. I always buy Belly Dancing records. One out of 20 actually has good music. I like the ones from greek restauraunts. Nice scores.

Yeah your right. I always buy Belly Dancing records. One out of 20 actually has good music. I like the ones from greek restauraunts. Nice scores.

I left about as many as I bought. There was a nice Ovation gee-tar for 265 that I keep thinking about. Might be nice to have a nylon string to go along with my Martin. Might be nice to have a spare 265, too.

• 2 weeks later...