So why Jubilees....

Wrinkles

This weekend, I experienced what some of you have already and that was to hear a pair of the Jubilees K402/K69 setup.

I was wowed. I was awestruck. I was floored. These speakers grab your attention, and make you sit up and take notice. The Jubilees to me, are undoubtedly, the best speaker I have ever heard. They were situated in the corners of a room, powered by the Crown Xti1000 amps. Remarkable. It was an experience that I will not forget.

Everyone must get out and listen to these speakers. I do not know why Klipsch does not actively market these.

I have the LaScalas with 511B horns and JBL 2404H tweeter setup and I thought they sounded darn good. Well, they do, but not like the Jubilees. Jubilees are in a totally different league. What I liked most about the Jubilees was the room filling sound quality, the effortless frequency transition from the bass bin to the horn and the balanced frequency response. I ran over 3 hours worth of music I had picked out to try to find the strengths and weaknesses. I did not find any weaknesses. What I found was over 3 hours of pure music listening joy. Often, I found the musicians singing to me right in front of me and my foot tapping seemed non-stoppable. Truly amazing. What a pleasure. I’m looking around the house for things I can sell, dog, cat, car, etc..

I would like to publicly thank Chris in Arlington, Texas for allowing complete strangers to enter his house and audition the Jubilees. With so few Jubilee setups out there, this seems like the only way to get the word out to other audiophiles as to just how good audio reproduction can be. Thanks Chris for your generosity. Jubilee owners, open your doors. Charge admission (you know beer, music, snacks).

Questions I have though.....

Comparing Jubilees in corners and not in corners. What differences should be expected? I really do not have any corners, only windows and built-in bookcases. How big is the low frequency drop off if any?

I’m a tube guy. I use tube type 2A3s. Any differences in crossover slopes and frequency response of the passive crossovers? Is SET 2A3 enough power?

I am watching closely the Jubescala thread. I think the idea of placing the 402 on top of the LaScala is the most affordable for me and many other audiophiles. I hope Klipsch or someone takes the lead and provides fairly simple directions for making this happen. I can see doing this within my budget.

My wife says, blow the budget. Order the Jubilees, Christmas is coming. Just do it. Bless her soul, if only she worked outside the home. I love her support.

I’m thinking about it, tho.

I hope ya’ll did not mind my babbling. You really need to hear these. It may change your views on large horn speakers. It has mind.

Wrinkles

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 402/69 on top of LaScala sounds damn good. Figure a LaScala bottom is basically half a Jubilee bottom, and with that top you have half the Jubilee -- I think that means a JubScala is 3/4's of a Jubilee.:) It's a no-brainer upgrade in my opinion. It seems expensive at around $2K -- until you hear it.

Unlike the Klipschorn, the Jubilee back is finished off -- so corner placement is not mandatory. However, like any speaker -- you will extend the LF response if you get them into the corners. You can still toe them in, and get most of the benefit of corner placement if you keep the backs within a foot of the walls. This is what I do and I'm solid down to 40Hz before it starts to roll.

The Jubilees sound great with 2A3 and 300B, no worries. As for the network, the active filtering route is more precise in that it provides more FR correction, but both the active and passive networks networks are Linkwitz-Riley 24dB/octave. I'm sure if someone needs a passive filter for the JubScala, Roy would have no problem whipping up a design for them. If you can't or don't want to build it, then Bob or myself can probably be coaxed into it.

Hi Wrinkles... Seems you too have taken a drink of the kool-aid!! Welcome to the "heards" but watchout for some of the 'heard-nots' as they will suggest any significant differences you heard with your own 2 ears could not possibly be true... I think "hogwash" is one of their words of choice.!!

My understanding (I've not read Dean's comments yet) is as long as they are within 10" of a corner you will get their full extension. If you take them away from a corner you will lose some of their bottom end response, though I don't know how much.

Sell the LaScalas, sell the car, sell the furniture (keep the wife & animals [;)])

Thanks Dean and Coytee,

That was some awesome kool-aid.

Dean, did you add the bass bin mod to your LaScalas? Or did the corner placement help give you the response to 40 hertz? I can get within 10 inches of the corner.

Before deciding on what type of crossover setup, I really would like to hear a passive crossover with the Jubilees. It is kinda a choice between solid state electronic noise or vacuum tube hum, both of which disappear when playing music. You know, if you add the bass bin mod under the LaScala you would lift it up to almost the level of the full Jubilee height.

Thanks for the advice.

Wrinkles

I've never owned LaScalas, I went from Klipschorns to Jubilees. The theater spec for the Jubilee is 45Hz +/- 3dB/-10dB @ 34Hz -- this is with no corner loading. If you plan on using your LaScala bottoms, and you don't put them into the corners -- I think they'll start rolling at 100Hz. In the corners they'll start rolling at 50Hz. I'm not completely sure about those numbers. No matter, if you can get close to the corners you'll be O.K.

The Crowns have some hiss, but it's no worse than I've had in some other set ups -- solid state or tubes. I used to run to some nice passives, but since I've gone with the Crowns the only guy running passives right now is Rigma down in Tennessee (with 300B) -- very nice sound. I'm thinking about building a set of cost no object passives this summer -- mostly for fun, but also so I can start rolling some different gear in and out when money frees up in fall.

Hi Wrinkles,

I know just how you feel. Listening to the Jubs the first time was one of the most ear-opening experiences I've had. I've now owned the Jubs for about 8 months and the WOW factor has not yet worn off. My 26 year old son is constantly bringing his friends over to listen. Now they all want to drink the kool-aid.

I have both Jubilee and JubScala. While they are both awesome, due in large part to the 402/K69, the JubScala is, as Dean suggested, about 3/4 of a Jubilee. The Jubilee adds the deep, clean, effortless bottom that the JubScala will lack. I have compared both Jubilee and JubScala in the same corners, all drive by the XTi's with all the EQ, delay, and crossover built in, and, as you heard, the Jubilee does it all . . . .exceedingly well.

The JubScala is a great transition toward full Jubs. Buy the 402's and active crossover now to use on top of the LaScala's, then save up for the Jubilee bass bins later.

If you can afford it, buy the full Jubilee. Your wife is very wise. You must listen to her. You won't be disappointed.

Send me an email if you want to talk on the phone.

Blessings,

Bill

Rigma,

Thankyou for the invite. Sounds like a possible family vacation trip idea !

Your 300Bs, are they SET or push pull setup?

Have you listened with tube type 2A3s or 45s? If so, what do you feel is the minimum power requirements for a full Jubilee setup?

Was the passive crossover Klipsch provided or did you build it yourself? And the big question is how much was the crossoever? PM me if desired.

Is it due to the convenience of an active crossover for Jubilee owners to primarily use the Crown XTi1000 amplifiers or is the adjustment play factor that the Crowns provide? 275 watts into 8ohms!!! Smokin'. Seems like alot of overkill for a home setup. Almost dangerous to the speakers. The XTi1000 amps I heard really sounded good tho. If only Crown made a 50 watt XTi.

Thanks Rigma,

Wrinkles

"I think they'll start rolling at 100Hz. In the corners they'll start rolling at 50Hz. I'm not completely sure about those numbers. No matter, if you can get close to the corners you'll be O.K."

Lemme give ya hand I measured my LS when I did a temp bracing of the bass horn and they held well to about 65'ish (Left 63’ish and the right 67’ish) but anything below that was a wash...were talking down as much as 15-20 db. Granted this is in my room and they were not in corners so I'd say plan on usable bass when set up free standing without a sub to somewhere around 80 hz.

Is it due to the convenience of an active crossover for Jubilee owners to primarily use the Crown XTi1000 amplifiers or is the adjustment play factor that the Crowns provide? 275 watts into 8ohms!!! Smokin'. Seems like alot of overkill for a home setup. Almost dangerous to the speakers. The XTi1000 amps I heard really sounded good tho. If only Crown made a 50 watt XTi.

The primary reason I use the XTi is that they sound good by themselves. The second is the ability to provide the crossover at 48db per octave, the delay needed to align the hf and lf, and the EQ needed to properly balance the system. When you put it all together, it is a fabulous reproduction system, as you heard.

It doesn't matter if the XTi's are 275 watts or 50 watts. With the efficiency of the Jubilees, you're only going to be using a couple of watts, even when you're feelin' really rambuctious.

Oh, and the last reason I use the XTi, you can buy two amps for 2/3 the cost of the EVDx38 alone. With the money you save, you can buy a JubScala for center channel and a KPT884 for sub. [:D]

Questions I have though.....

Comparing Jubilees in corners and not in corners. What differences should be expected? I really do not have any corners, only windows and built-in bookcases. How big is the low frequency drop off if any?

Hey Wrinkles

My Jubs are angled toward the listening area and thus aren't solid in the corners (they are within 10" of the walls and I'm very pleased with the results. My understanding is some EQ-ing is possible to compensate for placement away from the corner and Roy could best help you with those questions.

I’m a tube guy. I use tube type 2A3s. Any differences in crossover slopes and frequency response of the passive crossovers? Is SET 2A3 enough power?

I use the EV DX38 electronic crossover with a Cary CAD 2A3i integrated push/pull 2A3 tube amp on the LF section and an AES SE-1 2A3 single ended amp on the K402/K69-A HF section and I'm very pleased with the results in sound and loudness.

Since you use the 2A3 on your LaScalas and the Jubilee is slightly more efficient I see no reason why you wouldn't be pleased with them on the Jubilees also.

note: My system is for all intents very silent from hum/noise and only if you put your ears at the mouths of the horns can you hear anything. So even though it isn't easy with highly efficient speakers it is possible to acheive very quite operation.

I am watching closely the Jubescala thread. I think the idea of placing the 402 on top of the LaScala is the most affordable for me and many other audiophiles. I hope Klipsch or someone takes the lead and provides fairly simple directions for making this happen. I can see doing this within my budget.

This combo does sound very good and again with a sub would be killer IMO.

My wife says, blow the budget. Order the Jubilees, Christmas is coming. Just do it. Bless her soul, if only she worked outside the home. I love her support.

Again a JubScala would be very nice but the Jubilee/K402 IMHO again has to rank among the very best speakers available today as you've heard and if it's an option for you I do believe it would be the best way to go especially in the long run.

mike tn[:)]

My wife says, blow the budget. Order the Jubilees, Christmas is coming

I had to read this again to make sure I read this right... I LOVE your wife's logic... it's only February and she's coming up with that? either she's GOLDEN or has a really bad 'gotcha' planned if you do this... trust me though... it's worth it.

The only bad thing I could see by having you buy some is it would take the "Texas Count" of Jubilees up by another and that's not fair to the other states [;)]

Also, and I'm sure you already know this...some are running the Dx38 and doing so would allow you the choice of virtually any amps you wanted to run. You could even get an Xti and run it on the bass bins with your tube amp running the HF horn.

Doing the Xti's on both horns is as you heard, pretty killer AND gets you the 48 db/slope that the Dx-38 won't fully do (it's only noticable if you're in the same room doing a side by side, otherwise it's probably not something you'd walk in and notice)

I was wowed. I was awestruck. I was floored. These speakers grab your attention, and make you sit up and take notice. The Jubilees to me, are undoubtedly, the best speaker I have ever heard...

Everyone must get out and listen to these speakers. I do not know why Klipsch does not actively market these...

...With so few Jubilee setups out there, this seems like the only way to get the word out to other audiophiles as to just how good audio reproduction can be. Thanks Chris for your generosity...

Michael,

You're very welcome.

I'll repeat my offer to those that want to hear these - just send a PM or email to set up a time to audition the Jubs. I'll supply the chips and soda--you supply the music. Admission: free.

Chris A.

Coytee,

She is GOLDEN, she is not a "gotcha" planner. Sometimes, when doors open, you need to go through them before they close. I just got back from an early Valentines Day dinner with her. She is totally supportive. I was thinking about starting to brew some beer and ale (you know, buy the equipment, mix, wait 2 months, and enjoy). I'll probably put that on hold for a while.

Actually, I am not familiar with the Dx38 other than it being a passive crossover. Is it located at the speaker itself or at the output of your preamp?

For real estate purposes, what is the length across the front and the depth of one side?

You guys are getting me ever closer to blowin the budget.

And the problem with the Texas count going up is...? How many Jubilees are out there?

Thanks,

Wrinkles

The Electrovoice Dx38 2-in4 digital loudspeaker processor with x-over, EQ, delay, compressor/limiter, front-panel display, PC Remote software (RACE) SIGNAL PROCESSORS Electronic Crossover-Equalizers D170348 Telex EV Electrovoice ($1288 to $1600)

I thought this was a passive crossover. It never dawned on me that it was an active crossover.

Now, I see how you can use a tubed amp on the upper and the Crown on the Lower. You had me scratcing my head there.

But, does Klipsch not offer a passive?

Mike,

Thanks for your reply,

Wrinkles

Wrinkles,

I have the same setup as you with 511/902 and 2404s on closed-back K-korn bass bins and DeanGs Super AA. They sound fabulous but I really to hear some Jubs with all I have heard on the forum. Cosmetics aren't an issue and I have the attic to do as I wish. I want the best possible sound for my buck and thought that I was pretty close.

A couple of questions for the active Jub guys. I am now driving my horns with Rogue 6550 amps. Is it a requirement to bi-amp using an active x-over?

Right now I could not do a new set from Klipsch simply due to the $. I am considering building the bins and buying the horn and drivers from Klipsch. Has anyone done this and does Klipsch sell the drivers seperately? If so, what is the approximate cost for the drivers and xover?

Thanks.

I have been out of this for a while but lately have been thinking about putting together my K Horns.

What is the K-402/K-69-A? I have seen pictures of the huge horn on top of the Jubilee. What is the expansion of the horn (Tractrix - looks too big) and frequency range?

Same for the K-69-A driver?

The K-402 is the tractrix-looking horn on top. The K-69-A is the driver attached. The K-402 horn is a compound shape that clearly ends in a tractrix-shaped flare at the mouth (i.e., the horn's mouth rolls out tangential to the mounting surface unlike the exponential contour) while the interior of the horn looks to be exponential conical. The horn is crossed at 500 450 Hz to the lf bin that you recognize as the "Jubilee" bin.

Chris

post-28404-13819360743076_thumb.gif