OT: 1, 2, 3 or 5 blades - what do you use and why?

Colin

I used three-blade razors for years. Mens Halth recently said the four-blade Shick Quattro is as good as the five Blade Fusion. It is a smooth shave compared to three blade models, but I am not sure it actually gives a better shave.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is really a sore spot for me. I have been using the Gillette Fusion system for a few years, but am very dissatisfied in the fact that half the blades in the pack always seem to be dull. I have not found a maunfacturer who's blades are worth a crap IMO. It really irritates me that a person pays $20+ dollars for a pack of blades and gets maybe 2 weeks worth of decent shaves. If I could find a better system believe me I would, but I am convinced they are all the same. I'm curious to hear what others have to say as well.

I quit using premium razors a few years ago. I used to use the Gillete sensor(?could be wrong name) 3 blade and it was nice, I'll admit. I went on a trip to my folks and forgot my razor. My dad gave me one of his cheapo disposables to use and it did a wonderful job. I do have to admit it doesn't last as long as the premium ones but I buy 40 from Sams for around 15 or 16 bucks and I think I had been spending 10 bucks for 5 or 6 whatever is in the small packs at the grocery. So considering the cost over a years time I quit buying the premiums. I do have to use shaving cream now though. I used to shave with just water and the disposables give me bad razor burn if I do that.

Does anybody else remember the old Saturday Night Live commercial satire about multi-bladed razors when the first Gillete twin-tracks came out (this is probably back in the late 70's). Their spoof took the twin blade concept and extended it to three blades (the first blade grabs the whisker, the second blade yanks it out, and the third blade hacks it off) with the tagline "Becase, you'll believe anything..."

How life imitates art...

[:^)]

Double edged safety razors. Smoother shaves with much less irritation then the Mach5 or Sensors I used before it. Blades cost about $0.07 each in quantity. Usually with Trumpers or Mitchells Wool Fat shaving soap.

I have a couple of straights I want to learn on too but haven't had the time to really get them honed perfectly yet.

Shawn

Does anybody else remember the old Saturday Night Live commercial satire about multi-bladed razors when the first Gillete twin-tracks came out (this is probably back in the late 70's). Their spoof took the twin blade concept and extended it to three blades (the first blade grabs the whisker, the second blade yanks it out, and the third blade hacks it off) with the tagline "Becase, you'll believe anything..."

How life imitates art...

Huh?

Along the same lines check out:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

Which came out about a year before Gillette released a 5 bladed razor....

Shawn

I started using the fusion because they sent me one free in the mail. I was amazed at how well it worked. The problem as reported above is that the replacement blades have never been as good as the first one that came with the handle. I still have older 3 and 2 blade handles so I can always switch back if I want.

One of the best shaves I ever got was in a barbers chair. This older woman massaged my face, then used a hot towel.. good shave cream....stretched my face out to get every hair. It was by far the closest shave I ever had...LOL.. Add another scalp n facial massage I was in heaven!! And all with a single blade.

Now if I could just convince my wife to allow this other woman to do this daily in my house? hmmmmmm LOL

I am a fusion guy at home. It vibrates too. Although I am not sure the vibrating thing (gimick) helps or not?

I used a cordless/corded electric razor for years before the battery wore out. Rather than spend 125 bucks on a replacement electric razor, I bought a $25 beard trimmer and grew a beard. Very efficient, I save a lot of time and effort each day. Only have to trim it ever couple or three weeks. Don't know if I'll ever shave it off... I just like not having to mess with the shaver. Really couldn't stand using conventional blades and shaving cream before that.

Hundred year old NOS straight razor here boys, evey single day. Henckels Friodur, Joseph Rodgers & Sons, Geneva Cutlery, Solingen Revisor and Wade and Butcher, and a new Thiers Issard in the rotation right now - looking for a sweet modern made straight from the likes of Robert Williams or Mastro Livi in the near future. I hone my own, and have probably 60 of the buggers right now, English, German, and French and a very few American made.

I got really tired of all the blades and electrics giving me terrible razor burn, I get a closer shave with a straight, a historic blade, and the experience - once learned - is relaxing and fun...My daughter loves it when Daddy shaves...

Don't believe me, go look at all my obsessed compatriots over at www.straightrazorplace.com -

K

I think my razor has about 50 blades. Of course, its also a Norelco electric. Doesn't get quite as close as with a regular razor but doesn't cut my face all up either.

What model. My 7735x broke in Vegas last week. Like the lotion thingy.