How do You feel about Heights ..??

That video is a true horror!!!!! I came close to clicking it off several times, and I was in such a sweat I had to turn on the A/C part way through. Turns out this place is in Spain, in a canyon with 300-ft sheer cliffs. I couldn't believe the sure-footed climber walked along narrow steel girders or pipes where the concrete walkway had broken through. From another website:

Take an extremely dangerous walk along the Camino in Spain. Originally built in 1901, the walkway now serves as an approach to makinodromo, the famous climbing sector of El Chorro. It was built so the King of Spain could see the new water pipes that traveled through the lower gorge, carrying water to the costal city of Malaga. Since the Kings single visit eighty years ago, the Camino has fallen into disrepair—huge pieces are missing, and metal supports are nearly rusted through or broken. Its like a 36-inch-wide slice of cement Swiss cheese glued to the wall with chewing gum. If you are uncomfortable with heights, I recommend you not watch this video. The music in the video is Magic of Politics by Michael Darius. I have uploaded the music in this video with the artists permission. You can vist Michaels MySpace page at: http://www . myspace . com/michaeldarius I recomend viewing this video in fullscreen with the volume turned up.

Happy viewing!

actually... itsa bout 700' down ....Indifferent

I went by a website mention of 80-100 m. cliffs -- so, have you been there, how did you know about this, and how did you know that detail?

Your "smiley" was exactly how I looked as I watched it.

Larry

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web07f/wfeature-el-chorro-adventure-p1. This is a pic of "the Camino Del Rey before the recently added safety cable existed." The safety cable (installed after a climber fell to his death) was visible in the video, but I don't think the incredibly gutsy photographer used it, since he didn't stop to unclip and reclip at each pin. Not to mention there were NO hand or guard rails over much of the trail.

Yikes!

elchorro-3.jpg

That would have to be one heck of a climbing area for me to go across that to get there! I am pretty scared of hieghts, but I love to rock climb. So far no drug has come close to that feeling when you are scared of hieghts and you are 300 feet up! The buzz lasts a couple of days. If the climbing at the end of that route is worth it, I believe I could do the trek over, but I would clip the cables as I went.

Chris

wow. Amazing. I was trying to imagine folks doing the construction to make all this possible!

Just to navigate on foot is impressive. Carrying the steel, reddimix, welding gear?

Now imagine building that over 100 years ago.

I do think he stopped to clip on his safety wire when all he had to walk on was an iron pipe (next stop = 700' down). I don't think he had the wire on over most of the trail.

I don't want to look at it again to check it out, tho'.