Hurricane Season - 2008

My heros, the Stooges "We are morons through and through and we'll do our yel for you...nahnnayogombuahwoo, etc, etc"

Pressure 29.55, max winds 24.6 so far. My anemometer is only about 5 feet off the ground and I suspect rather sheltered. OTOH, it may survive because fo that.

Dave

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elevation18', Dean. I am NOT a complete idiot...just short of that.

If it strengthened to a 4 I'd expect maybe a foot or two downstairs of rising, rather than rushing, water.

Dave

O.K., I understand that -- but I still think you're nuts:) You're in a mandatory evacuation area.

I have the high ground in Seabrook. I'd say about a third of my neighbors have remained...some of them not even boarded up. That's why I am NOT the biggest idiot.[:o]

Pressure 29.44, wind N at 26. I'd like to think the direction change suggest the eye has moved further east. I have expected (and hoped) for that, but time will tell. I expect to lose power around 2100 or so. Got to get my toothbrush charged...

Dave

Link to a Houston TV station...................

http://www.khou.com/video/?nvid=178826&live=yes&noad=yes

They had a crawler a few minutes ago that indicated that there would be no more evac buses from Seabrook because it was too windy. I'm not sure how that corresponds to Dave's 26mph reading. (Maybe his gauge is underwater?)

It is somewhat sheltered. It's on about a 5' pole that barely gets above the privacy fence. I'd estimate current winds at 20 feet and higher at more like 50mph.

Pressure is 29.44. Winds still from the north. I hope that keeps up as it bodes well.

Dave

PS-Just checked Seabrook Weatherbug and it showed 27mph from the N, just like me. OTOH, it showed gust to 54mph, and I've only seen 34mph.

Pressure now 29.38 and falling as I write. Oddly, still only .02" rain so far. I am sure it will come.

Watching local TVshowing conditions at the seawall further improve my spirits. Why they are not talking about this I do not know, but there is clearly an north wind. That is blowing AGAINST the surge, a good thing. I don't think the guy would be standing where he was if were from the south, and it certainly suggests that the eye is NE of Galveston proper, just as my own observations have supported.

Pressure is 29.35.

Dave

Just heard power is out to over 100,000. I won't be far behind. If my cable remains hot I may be able to run a bit off my laptop. If not, see you on the other side of darkness.

...............................certainly suggests that the eye is NE of Galveston proper, just as my own observations have supported.

The TV radar is showing the eye still being SE of Galveston. So you're still west of the eye, and that's why your getting winds from the north. If (when) the eye passes to your west, you'll get winds out of the east, then from the south. If the eye stays east of you, you'll continue to get north winds, then they will swing around to the west. TV channel 11 is saying the storm will travel up the I-45 corridor. Is that east or west of you?

What you say is what I meant...not that the eye is NE of us, but that it will pass that way. They've been on the I45 track most of the day, but I am thinking it could be 30 or more miles east of I45. At least I hope so... I am about 10 miles east of I45, which is why I am thinking they are wrong since my winds are consistently N so far. I have also seen 11 reporting from Galveston at about 22nd street and the winds there were clearly blowing off shore. That is a very good thing.

Dave

A hurricane spins counter clockwise. As posted just above, since you are west of the hurricane the winds spin from the south, a far bit east of you, from the east if you get closer to the eye wall and from the north if you are to the west side of Ike. It all depends on where you are in relation to the outside walls of Ike and later on the eye.

Hopefully, these winds keep coming from the north, or at least the east. If they are coming from the south, then you know Ike is coming towards you.

A gentleman on the hurricane hunter aircraft just said it's not the winds, but the size that is the problem. Same as what Groomslake said. It will take a very long time to pass over top of you. The rain is now starting to fall and you are still 4-5 hours from the eyewall hitting you, and then another equal, plus time to leave you alone.

HGX.BREF1.gif

All true, dflip. Sustained winds are 42mph NE, pressure 29.32. I've lit my lamps and am anticipating power failure soon. The island is completely cut off and all power is out down there and rolling this way. Glad I got my supper cooked and eaten...

Just had a power blip. Come soon now...

Dave

Dave you can see the blue which you are in and the wind is coming from the north. The yellow and green which are coming towards you will be coming from the east at some point. When the bottom blue and green hit, you will have winds from the south. The picture should help.

Good luck Dave, I'll be up to about 11 pm EST, have a golf tournament tomorrow at 7:00 am. I hope everything works out well for you. I will monitor until I go to bed and will check in at 5:30 am.

I look forward to hearing you survived in a few days from now when your power comes back on.

Don

I'm in Alvin Tx, 26 miles North of Galveston and Ike is already making his presence known. Not a lot of rain at this moment, just the occasional wind gusts.

Got me a case of Corona and I've elevated my "kids" 3ft above ground level-yea, I'm ready.

RIGGED

Corona? I'm headin' for your house. All I got is Lite. However, this may turn into a whiskey storm, and I have a virgin bottle of Isle of Jura, some Knob Creek, and Wild Turkey 101 if I run out of the above.

Even have a couple of bottles of good British Higdon water if I need a splash.

Dave

PS - Hey Rigged...have you seen my post on the Frazier/Klipschorn comparison in 2 channel? Love to have you, especially if you bring Corona. [:D]