Summer Concert Duds

thebes

Hello it's me, Grumpy Thebes. My last hair just fell out, my sciatica's acting up and those dern whippersnappers are running amok in my neighborhood raising heck and screaming like banshees.

Even worse, was today's newspaper perusal of the national acts making the rounds this summer.

Sure there's good stuff out there, but goodness gracious me, where'd some of these acts come from? Is there some cold storage vault somewheres where these groups are drained of blood, froze, only to be reconstituted in what seemed at the time, some far away future.

Cut to the chase, Grumpy, you old coot.

Oh, ok, and no offense to those who liked them when dinosaurs roamed the earth, but...

Iron Maiden?

I think I'll just crotchety my way over to the Barcolounger and take in a ball game. Certainly a better prospect then heading out to a concert.

So what ails your musical senses this summer?

Iron Maiden hasn't stopped touring or releasing albums for any significant amount of time.

Perhaps a different band would have better illustrated your cold storage analogy.

But what do I know, I even think they sound good through Moondogs and LS [:P]

Mr. Grumpy Thebes-

I normally look forward to and enjoy your posts (the twins especially), but please allow me to hijack this thread and go glass half full on your a**. If blues/rock fits your tastes, find out when either The Black Keys or the Raconteurs are coming to a town near you. Or, come to Chicago August 1-3 and catch then both with me at Lollapalooza along with other bands that I will love and don't even know yet.

When doing a concert, as a listener/watcher, in all kinds of weather, I always did the lower cut than the navel length. Ladies knew the right way with tanktops. I followed suit, at times, until the winter months, when it used to get colder here, in Florida. A good coat...priceless.

Iron Maiden is discrete, and chaste.

Grumble, mumble, who could know there were so many Eddy fans in this place that were around for Iron Maiden's heyday and are still alive.

I'd probably put a smiley after that last sentence but I'm Grumpy Thebes , a feckless and toothless old coot who just doesn't give a darn.

Before I go soak my feet I'll would like to give a grudging back handed compliment to that HatTrick feller for his suggestions. Maybe when I'm feeling less peeved at the world,(any decade now) I'll see if those bands are coming my way.

After all, I do like the blues. Cheatin womens, grafters and grifters, floods and famine, gambling and booze gives me something to worked up about.

I streamed the Bonnaroo festival into my system almost all weekend. Saw lots of different bands. Friday night Metallica played and I figured they would be somewhat old and tired. Man was I wrong. They look older.....but not much.......and they were solid. They rocked all night long, played all their goodies. They were technically near perfect. It was awesome.

Haven't run into the summer disappointment yet.

Birkenstock shoes, AC&F shorts and either a Hollister t shirt or Hawaiian one based on the show.. Some cool sunglasses and some cash for something cold to drink.....

Oh sorry, not clothes.... you mean bad bands you once loved? hehehehehehe

Sorry, I could not resist!

Alright, I'll bite (Maiden fan here).

I just saw the recent tour when they passed through Vancouver two weeks ago. I've seen Iron Maiden 4 times and, if you into them, this last show was their best I've seen to date. Bruce Dickenson might be considered an 'old fart' by some, but I'd like to see anybody put on the high energy performance that he does night after night, and fly the band, crew and equipment on a 757 to each gig. He puts way more into a show now than he did 20 years ago. I can't think of anybody that can work a crowd like him.

They have never stopped touring or producing new albums in the last 25 years and have a HUGE following in Europe and South America. They just haven't had the popularity in North America over the past decade and a half, so they haven't been around. They even admit they are the 'flavour of the month' in the US and that is the only reason they are back.

So there!

-PB

Iron Maiden are new-comers, look whos coming to the "south Texas Rock Fest"

http://www.southtexasrockfest.com/bands.php

I've just checked this out myself.

Lot of old "hair metal" bands indeed!

But then you got Queensryche! Better yet, friggan ZERO HOUR!!!

I've seen these guys at least three times and boy, do they kick some serious @$$! That is some insane prog metal there! Also helps that I am a pretty good friend of the band as well [;)]

Iron Maiden - I definitly have to agree with 'pierceeb'. They are anything but "has beens". They still kick @$$ like they have never before.

If you want to talk about washed up and "has beens" - Rolling Stones - need I say more? [6]

I saw Ten Years After last week in a small club and they rocked the house! A young guitarist called Joe Gooch has been playing with them for five years and plays their material as well as Alvin Lee did. Ric Lee is still on drums and the bassist and keyboard player are the originals, school buddies of Ric Lee.

They played great, but the sound was awful. Now I know what "overloading the room" means. When the bassist was introducing a song, in a normal speaking voice, with no instruments playing, you could only make out half of what he was saying. Maybe if the volume had been at 8 or 9, instead of 11, they would have sounded as good as they appeared to be playing.

Friday night Metallica played

I stumbled across this, too. It was awesome. I am now looking forward to the new album in September. It is being produced by Rick Rubin who instructed them to forget they are Metallica with all the hits from over the years and get to work!