Where did you or are you going on vacation this year?

WOW Gary, that is fabulous! Congratulations, I know it was a big undertaking but sounds like you and Missus did your homework and make a great purchase. Will that be available to the 'friends of Larry' crowd?

Me, I'm hanging around the House of Klipsch, doing some minor remodeling. I really gotta get that permit in for the workshop although it's falling off the priority list. Some camping with friends at State parks will be about the extent of the travels this year. Funds are slim with no gig and the market tanking this past month. [:(]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Finally the 6 month search is over along with all the stress of buying a new home. I'm heading there in the morning to cut the lawn and hang out on the beach with my daughter and her friends. It don't get any better!!

I took my mother with me the other day when the washer/dryer/laundry tub was installed. Other than that, we haven't had company yet. I'm looking forward to throwing a party or 2 (or 10 or 20). Meanwhile, I'll be on the lookout for some cheap Klipsch heritage for my eventual "mancave" which is a 14x16 bedroom upstairs with perfect corners on both the 14' and 16' walls. Right now I have my 3rd system from home set up in the 18x20 loft. It does an admirable job filling the house with music for the time being.

Meanwhile, I'll be on the lookout for some cheap Klipsch heritage for my eventual "mancave" which is a 14x16 bedroom upstairs with perfect corners on both the 14' and 16' walls. Right now I have my 3rd system from home set up in the 18x20 loft. It does an admirable job filling the house with music for the time being.

Gary, that is so cool. What a lovely home. It's a very doable Fri/Sun commute for weekends near the beach. Perfect.

Perfect corners ... Hmmm. Klipschorns ought to be OK [:P]

Chris

My wife and I are looking for some ideas, just wondering what fellow forum members did or plan to do this year.

Thanks in advance.

With the cost and hassle of air travel being what it is now, I'd think of something driveable ... Maybe the Jersey shore? I always loved Avalon and Stone Harbor. Lived there for a bunch of years. Probably wouldn't recognize it these days. Our home was torn down to make way for something more swishy ...

I'm heading home to Hilton Head Island (SC) tonight to hang with the wife and son this weekend. Even though it's "home", it always feel like vacation to me. Five minutes to some of the nicest beaches on the east coast, dolphins, rays, crabs, sunsets. Ahhhh ...

Gary and Catherine came down last summer and tried Daufuskie Island. I think it was a little too remote and quiet. The bugs over there can be a little aggressive too since they don't control them. Hilton Head has a lot of things to do besides beaches. The only challenge, for me at least, is the heat index. It can get pretty durned warm at high noon. If you have a pool, you're pretty much in it, or near it, most of the day.

Good luck ... whatever choice you make will probably be right [;)]

Chris

Guest srobak

Indeed - who can afford a "vacation home" in this day and age? Congratz though - looks nice.

Every spring I go to Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo in Mexico. If you are into the whole tropical paradise on a postcard bit - then this is the place for you. There are direct flights from several major US airports. It is a little touristy, but not over the top... think about where Acapulco was about 15-20 years ago... that's where Ixtapa is now. Awesome place.

Posted Image

However - every 4th of July week I take the bike to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and visit my dad. He likes it up in the Great White North for some reason. It is about 7 hours straight north of Chicago via Milwuakee, Green Bay, Marinette, Escanaba and Marquette. This year was the first trip up there for the ST1300, and there are some great roads up there for motorcycle riding. I did about 1600 miles in 5 days, total. Marquette is very nice this time of year and has a food fest over the weekend (think a much smaller version of Chicago's "Taste"). The Houghton/Hancock area is gorgeous too - and with part of the old KI Sawyer AFB being turned into a museum - it makes for an interesting and relaxing time touring different parts of the UP.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On July 1st, we closed on our vacation/retirement home just 5 miles from the beach in Delaware. It's 100 miles from our house in MD so it'll be a LONG time before we vacation anywhere else. We plan to be there permanently in about 10 years.

JB - You're more than welcome to come visit for a few days :) Good luck with your search.

But the cherry wood panels on the doors will just start to age in ten years in your current house? I mean you spent so much time and took a lot of pride in the details.... But that new house looks great.

Just got back a week ago from Houghton Lake, Michigan (Michigan's Largest Inland Lake) where we have rented a cottage for a week each summer off-and-on since 1961. Michael Hurd came up and joined us for a couple of days. That's him enjoying the view from the beach.......

post-10177-13819381986912_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819393384252_thumb.jpg

The wife & I have been taking short weekend to 4-day weekend trips on the motorcycle this year. Great way to see America AND not spend a whole lot on gas (that translates to having more money for red zinfindels, thick juicy steaks, and nicer places to sleep).

I've also hooked up with my friends a few weekends as they campaign their flat trackers in AHRMA races.

post-4338-13819381989772_thumb.jpg

post-4338-13819393386162_thumb.jpg

Spent almost 3 weeks in Barbados with the wife and kids. Wonderful people on the island, they treated us very kind. I would go back in a heartbeat, and will likely go back next year. May through September is their offseason, so it works out perfectly with the kids summer vacation schedule, the price, and not over crowded or over bearing with tourist.

post-12381-13819381998406_thumb.jpg

post-12381-13819393394026_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt at posting multiple pics , hope it turns out ok . [:$]

For the past 2 years I have vacationed in Costa Rica on the Pacific coast .
Here is a small sheltered bay just north of Jaco where I and some friends caught a boat ride to a couple of offshore rock reef breaks .
Posted Image
Unloading the boards . Costa Rica is a pretty safe place to visit but nontheless do not leave anything valuable in your vehicle unatended , especialy your passport .
Posted Image
Riding out to Esconditas and Little Fiji .
Posted Image
Here is Esconditas . Relatively small and playfull compared to the break in Hermosa where we were staying . " Just don't hit the bottom ! "
Posted Image
Sunset 5/30/08 Hermosa Beach .
Posted Image
Painted sky after sunset . Being from the East Coast I allways get a kick out of seeing the sunset out over the ocean as opposed to seeing the sunrise over the ocean that I am used to ; see profile pic. .
Posted Image
Me at Hermosa Beach with just a small touch of sunburn :) .
Posted Image
I must say , I only go to Costa Rica for the surf but there is alot to see and do there and it is very inexpensive . Once you get there .