2nd UPDATE: Dtel's Mom

• Moderators

I am hoping they use hyperbaric. They used it when she broke her arm and MRSA set in, after the debriding. We do need to ask the orthopedic surgeon that question.

Any of you that may be diabetic PLEASE pay careful attention to any injuries to your feet, no matter how slight. In hindsight we believe the cause of this situation is a result of my mother in law dropping a lightweight walking cane on her foot. There were no visible effects of the injury until almost two weeks later and even then to the untrained eye it appeared to be slight bruising.

Michael, thank you so much for the telephone call, it means more than you could ever imagine. I really, really miss you and hearing your voice was very reassuring in light of the reality we are currently facing. I hope to see you soon...you always have a place...at our home and in our family.

I am extremely concerned about the mobility my mother in law will have after this surgery because the left arm is totally useless (it couldn't be set after the break five years ago and the broken bones have fused together in a "lopsided manner.") She has to use her right arm to even pick the left arm up. The amputation is on the left leg. Mobility is definitely our primary concern, once the healing process is complete. We are trying to come up with ideas to address the mobility issue. Any ideas or input would definitely be considered.

Christy

Anyway, thank you one and all, the encouragement is keeping me hopeful.

Another question ask about her rehab, depending on how she heals, is if they can treat her with aqua-therapy during rehab? They routinely use a flotation device so it will take the weight bearing burden off of her so she can focus using her limbs correctly and that can have the benefit of conditoining the amputated limb for a prosthesis if it is possible. Obviously her age is a concern and potential limitation but modern rehab and PT has come a long a long way. We will keep all of you in our prayers.

R/Jim

Christy,

Glad to hear dtel's mom came through surgery ok. Lots of good support for her.

Rehab will be a huge challenge. It's alot of work to build strength, but important to get as strong as she can. I would think mobility solutions will be part of their assessment in rehab. That is a most important question.

Thanks for the update. We'll continue to keep her before the Lord.

Peace,

• Moderators

Thanks everyone, it really it means alot, we really do appreciate it.

For J.4knee and anyone else with diabetes, do whatever you have to to keep it in control and try to stay in shape because when you get a little older everything gets tougher to deal with.

Dtel, I am truly sorry to hear of the hard time your mother is going through. She is very lucky to have such a loving and caring family to see her through these times. I am glad her surgery is over and that everyone is already looking ahead toward physical therapy. With all of you helping her she is going to do as well as possible. No doubt. She will be in out prayers. You are also lucky to have Christy.

Just came upon this. As diabetics age their peripheral circulation becomes further compromised. Infections are difficult to combat because the medications just don't get to where they can work. The tissue is poorly perfused so oxygen and nutrient supply and metabolite removal is hindered. This is how hyperbaric O2 helps (and because gangrene is anaerobic). In short your mom is doing Okay for someone her age with long standing diabetes. Most importantly she has her vision and she has family that cares and is willing to help. The stump of her amputation is well vascularized. Follow her wound care closely and it should heal fine. Get her back on a good insuiin and dietary routine and she'll be in like Flint. Keep an eye out for pressure spots. If she sits in one posture a lot that can put too much pressure for too long on one area of tissue and a pressure sore will develop.

Christy and Dtel, we are praying your mom has an easy rehab and recovery. Knowing the love, kindness, and attention she will get from y'all is going to be one of her biggest blessings.

My wife Colleen works as a spinal rehab nurse at the VA here in St. Louis, and deals every day with patients who have diabetes, amputations, mobility and stability issues, as well as the seemingly mundane issues like skin care and pressure sores. As involved as you are going to be with her recovery, be sure to talk to the gray haired nurses about the multitude of little hints that can make things easier to manage. I'll PM Colleen's number as well; feel free to call her if you have any strange questions that haven't been covered.

Thanks for sharing your Mom's problems with us Christy. I'm very glad for here and the whole Dtel brood, that the surgery was a a success and that she had her family with her at this time. My thoughts are with you and yours.

Marty

• Moderators

Dtel's mom entered inpatient rehab today, or "boot camp" as dtel calls it. She will be placed in a well regimented program that includes three hours of exercise a day....she hasn't exercised that much in her whole life!

Seriously, dtel is very pleased with the rehab program thus far. It's great to know mother in law will be given one on one therapy, in a group setting with others that share similiar disabilites.

As always, we remain hopeful for a good outcome and look forward to bringing her home I want to thank all of you for your prayers, support, emails and telephone calls. It's great to know we have friends like you.

Please remain prayerful and keep us in your thoughts.

Christy and Elden

Glad to here things are progressing well. We are all pulling for her and praying for all of you. But as I read this I realized there is one thing she is missing. A Kllipsch forum nom de plume! So if I may be so bold as to suggest and offer a hearty welcome to "Dtel's Mom" [;)] We look forward to hearing a lot of good news from and about you!

Christy and Elden,

Sorry to be late in response to this thread. I really think the world of you two. The nut (Elden) didn't, I'm sure, fall far from the tree, so I'm sure "Dtel's Mom" is a great gal. Tell her there's an entire family of "bleeding heart liberals" out in California that truly sends the very best wishes and prayers to her (and your whole family).

Love,

Gregg, Cathy, Bethany and Paloma

Checking in sporatically in the General forum... I missed this. I will keep good thoughts that your mother will make a speedy recovery through the rehab. One of my best friends was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis at age 7, had knees replaced in high school, and both hips have been done. ( he is 33 currently )

Best thing is to keep the spirits up, nothing helps better to heal. Family presence throughout the process will definately be a benefit.

• Moderators

Thanks J.4knee, I will tell her what you said, I joke with her all the time about being old [:|] she laughs and occasionally gives me the finger [:D] If I didn't kid her she would think something was wrong.

Thanks Fini gang, you know when a NUT falls from a tree it usually sprouts to be very close to the originally, good or bad, I get it from somewhere ? [:S]

She will laugh when I tell her about the "bleeding heart liberals" thing, she has voted liberal all her life.

Michael H thanks, thats a rough time for only 33, hope it's all behind him.

She is doing well in her second day of rehab, except for some exercise which she don't care for at 73 (don't blame her) she is past the worst part. From the way she talks the only thing she worries about is being a burden on everyone. I think she is starting to realize this is something we all want to help her with, if not we will prove it to her !

Thanks again everyone

Christy, I have said a prayer for you and your family. I've been busy lately and haven't checked threads like I normally do. Diabetes is a terrible disease. My wife worked for a podiatrist for 15 years and the vast majority of their patients were diabetics. Please be sure your mother-inlaw watches her blood sugar closely. She's fortunate to have such a good support group.

Carl