Why you need 500Wpc for good sound

Islander

artto,

Dynaudio makes cheap and overpriced speakers...for cars! Who told you these lies? Dynaudio makes some of the finest speakers ,that they do not suit your taste is another thing. SimAudio MOON W5 drivers Contour S5.4's and makes them sing.It is all in the match and you know it, take K-Horns andmatch them with a zippy japanese Technics amp...you will be running to mute it and fast.

FYI The Dynaudio Esotec component speakers are the finest speakers designed for car use,you would have to use Audiotechnology coupled with ribbon tweeters(RAAL for example) to surpass the "cheap" Dynes. Stick out tongue

Ear,

A local dealer has a pair of Dynaudio Saphires (30 year special editions) in stock. Very nice. He demoed them with Carey tube amops and an Esoteric CD player. Can't sway me away from my S800's, but man are they sweet. I also am dying to hear Eggleston Andras, which use Dynaudio drivers.

Claude,

I always hear about how two times the power only gives a 3 db increase in sound pressure level, but doesn't that completely ignore that SPL is log scale? Every 3 db increase is two times as loud.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fender,

I just got done packaging up a pair of Bryston 7B St monoblocks to be shipped out Friday.  500/800 wpc. They only got warm driving my S800's, I can see why they have a 20 year warranty.  A 4B should drive any Klipsch with ease and authority. 

Before you get a 4B, check out Classe amps.  They make soem 100, 200 and 300 wpc mmodels.  I switched to a pair of Classe CAM 350 monoblocks (350/700 wpc) and they are a little warmer.  Just a little but very nice and so nicwe to look at.  A good friend just bought a pair to replace his 300 wpc VTL tube monoblocks.  He has Thiels, planars and B&W's, all very inefficient. 

Like minds....funny I just got off the Classe website.....and searching some reviews when I noticed your post pop up.....the CA-301 looks like a VERY nice amp for the money.... and on the used market very nice prices....I'll be in Canada over the holiday's and I know where a few dealers that stock/display the Classe line up....May just be driving home with one (really mr customs agent ...this was my wifes amp and I'm just bringing it to the states where she resides now!!!)

At 98 db efficiency, you need a 20 dbW amps (100 Watts), if you are going to be able to hit 118 db peaks.

ONLY true when playing a SINGLE FREQUENCY.

Play two different frequencies through the same amp at the 2.83 VRMS (1W each) and you're going to need 5.66 VRMS (4W). In this example, the crest factor is 6dB.

So to hit 118dB peaks that consist of two frequencies, you're going to need 400W with a 98dB speaker.

Let's just say music has a lot more than one frequency playing at a time...though it's not as straightforward of a calculation since all the frequencies aren't playing the same amplitude.

One of the benefits of bi-/tri- amping is that it spreads out the crest factor. So if you've got two frequencies, but each frequency is played through its own amp, then each amp only needs 100W to go just as loud as the 400W amp.

Hmmm....somehow I think I might have done my math wrong...but gotta run so I'll come back to this later....

Rating amps in dbWatts would be an easier way to deal with the power requirement issues, but as long as Marketing has more clout than Engineering, it will never happen.

Do it yourself:

0dBW=1W

3dBW=2W

6dBW=4W

10dBW=10W

13dBW=20W

16dBW=40W

20dBW=100W

23dBW=200W

26dBW=400W

30dBW=1KW

To make it easier to do in-betweens:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db.htm

Use the energy quantity for watts.

Single frequency,, Two frequencies,,, Yes, But how do they sound????? talking about dancing on the head of a pin!!!! Thats NERD TALK !!!!!

Without "NERDS" none of what we are talking about would even exist! Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you need to trash it. That's why I haven't said a word until now. I'm studying MARKETING! [6][<:o)]

Single frequency,, Two frequencies,,, Yes, But how do they sound????? talking about dancing on the head of a pin!!!! Thats NERD TALK !!!!!

Without "NERDS" none of what we are talking about would even exist! Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you need to trash it. That's why I haven't said a word until now. I'm studying MARKETING! DevilParty!!!

Ahhh.....but Maron does understand it..

His vast knowledge base, experience (and humor) have kept us on our toes for many, many years.

Is "trash it" a marketing phrase?

Carl.

Without "NERDS" none of what we are talking about would even exist! Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you need to trash it. That's why I haven't said a word until now. I'm studying MARKETING! DevilParty!!!

His vast knowledge base, experience (and humor) have kept us on our toes for many, many years.

Carl.

The question is does carl understand satire?

sigh................

And then there's the lowly digital amp. Sadly destined to be an orphan with no one either hating on them or defending them.

Tom

I've changed my opinion. In the spirit of the electuion season this flip-flop causes me to proclaim the following:

Speakers over 100 db efficiency must have at least 500 wpc amps. Any speakers with an efficiency under 100 db must have a 3 wpc SET amp.

Notwithstanding the forgoing, any stereo pair of speakers will sound flawless if used with one Teac AL700P 3 channel digital amp SO LONG AS YOU USE ALL 3 CHANNELS ON YOUR STEREO PAIR OF SPEAKERS.

Glad I finally got that off of my chest.

Carl.

The question is does carl understand satire?

Yes - Maron's.

No - Buy something else's.

Eh?